• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aynjell's i5 Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why? the 460/470/480 already have PhysX. You would be better off selling the 260(assuming you have one) and getting (2) 460 in SLI
160$ to benefit my already 250$ investment is a better deal than losing money on the first card to get a marginal improvement.

A 460 barely edges out my GTX260 in performance. I get P14,000 in vantage. That's a pretty good scorefor dailiy good performance. A pair of 460's might be faster, butmy current 260 is worth precisely zilch now. I might could expect 100$ from it, and with that being said, spending 190$ to get a tiny improvement (-90$) doesn't seem to jivewith me. but to double my performance for only 160$... is an entirely different matter. It's better to pay the 160 and enjoy another 2 years. =)

To sell my 260 at a price that would sell, maybe 120$.

That's a net of 240$ for minor boost in performance + DX11.
I spent 160$. I don't foresee needing to upgrade for a good long while.

1 card runs crysis. 2 cards will run it better. And with crysis 2 supposedly having lower requirements (not sure if that means lower than crysis one literally or lower requirements per the market at the time).. I am not foreseeing a need to upgrade for a long long time. At least another 2 years. to get 4 years outof a single GPU is wonderful and at this point and in this market it would NOT surprise me.

Last edited:
260's in my hot little hands. It was delivered as advertised, red sided gtx260 core 216. Will install once I get home stand alone, verifiy functionality, and then overclock shortly ther-after to see if it can reach my current card's clock rates. Though, knowing what other cards could do, I don't expect it not to... in fact I expect it to be a better clocker...

but worst case scenario I can expect SC clock rates in SLI. Hopefully SSC. =)

MY UPS guy is on vacation, so there's a stand in. He doesn't know our door code. And he had to bring it to my work (6 blocks down the road so not a big deal, he'd of passed it to get to my place anyway).

Another interesting point is, my GTX 260's hit 24,900 in 3D Mark Vantage. This actually bests the GTX460 in points. I think the point is pretty clear. The GTX 260 Core 216 is one of the best cards you could have ever purchased during your PC using career. Simply staggering value, even when they were 260$. But hey, mine are runners. They clock like crazy. =)

Got a bit of tweaking to do still due to SLI, but the point is still very valid.

BTW, these numbers were achieved with a 4Ghz i5 750. The numbers for the 460's were achieved with a 3.75ghz i7. The i7 is known to handle SLI better than the i5 (well, p55 vs x58).

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-sli-review/14

My results were just above 24,900. I'll run it again and post a screenshot. My numbers are actually in line with the GTX 470 SLI OC results guru3D gets with thier 470's.

How's that for re-hea-hea-heally? Given I might lose about 120$ on my current card, and have to spend about 500$ to get a pair of 470's on a good day for a sidegrade with DX11... not worth it this time. I'll wait for something that beats my scores at stock, and then really thrashes my setup OC'd.

Been re-tweaking this setup a lot lately. Found that 3.8ghz is a really good compromise between heat output and performance. It's the "safe" overclock.. and right about where the overclocking wall is on this chip.

19x200 (3.8ghz)
Ram at 8x multi (DDR3 1600)
1.3375 vcore + super vid
1.216 vtt
1.62 vdimm

So far, this is about 14C lower temps than 4ghz. I can't justify that much extra heat for 200mhz, nor the 1.45vcore and 1.25vtt required to do it.

Bought a new motherboard, specifically the eVGA P55 FTW board, b stock from EVGA. Think is my current board has a LOT of gremlins:

The network card is finicky because a cable got jerked out of the socket.
The nvidia drivers crash any time I use more than one card on this board.
I'm also hoping for a magically better OC.

Here's to hoping it's not actually the CPU!

In a desperate frenzy to resolve the issue documented here:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656225&page=2

my computere has pretty much completely changed. The goal is a silent air build now. I should be able to get pics tonite, but who knows, gonna go see fast five.

I'm actually selling off the old case and water cooling for 190$ to a friend. Done with it. Water just never made me comfortable and didn't offer enough of a cooling edge to really be worth the uncertainty of a potential leak.

Holy seven post.
Nice build but sheesh thats a lot of posts in a row.

Eh, it's a build log. Nothing special about my build so naturally not a lot of comments. I really need to get pics up, though.

Back