• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bios update but no floppy drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anothermbdusted

K im at a loss i have tried to upgrade my bios on my dfi board but can figure it out at all. brain is fried big time been fixing this thing all day long.. the motherboard is in my signature and it is a micro version if that matters... ive gone here :http://www.dfi.com.tw/DFI-Lanparty/...?showselectvalue=40LP_JR&selectBiosItemId=538 but every time i try o update it it states it cant be done... using the flash tool. i run windows 7 64 bit version...

im trying to install a mushkin ssd and i cant do so im assuming cause bios needs updated. have bios from 10-7-2008.... award v 6.00pg eaglelake 8a79wd4xc-00

also if there is a way of transfering the OS from the HD to the SDD then i appreciate on how to do so as i really dont want to reinstall as it is a 2.5 hour process calling microsoft. as my cd key when i bought the cd was all ready in use. so i have to call every time i reinstall the OS...

thanks in advance:)

What do you mean you "can't" install a SSD? What happens, exactly? Is it detected in the BIOS?

You can use imaging software to copy the contents of the HDD to the SSD. Activating a copy of Windows over the phone is probably the easiest thing you can do. I had to register my HTPC over the phone and it didn't even take me 5 minutes.

the bios will see it but as soon as i change it to achi and restart it gives me a BSD so i change it back to ide and its good to go but i cant find it in the OS at all.

no not activating the os its installing it as i cant get past the cd key section as it gives me a error stating key is in use all ready that why it takes so long

what about backup by norton in thier anto virus? is that the same or whats a good free one that easy to use?

The reason it gives a BSOD when you enable AHCI is because it doesn't have the driver and can't access any hard drives. It would probably be easier, in this case, to simply install Windows onto the SSD instead of copying it over.

I've never run into a "key is in use" error and I've done about 20 reinstalls of my Windows 7 Home Premium 3-pack that I bought when the OS was released. Do you have the other hard drive unplugged when you installed it?

the other drive is installed at that time... if i install the ssd and nothing else then it asks for the os which is on the other drive.. so do i need to get a driver for AHCI?

Is this an upgrade version of Windows? If so, you need to have a previous install on that (or another) drive. If you are doing the install and pointing to your existing Windows 7 install, that is why it is saying the key is in use. When I reinstall my OS, I have to load XP/Vista and then install 7.

no sir its not its a full version and its been like this since day one. rare instace ive been told i just got stuck with it is all... so do i need a driver to get it to work? cause i much rather copy it over and erase the 500gig to use it for programs and such instead..

Windows has the driver that you need for AHCI. I'm also running the P45 chipset and there is nothing special I needed to do to install Windows.

Back