• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar TA890FXE cheap and awesome!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cas8 at 1600 is .2ns faster then cas7 at 1333, cas9 at 1600 is significantly slower then 7 at 1333.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's pretty much impossible to detect the difference between 1333 and 1600 and/or cas7 vs cas8 without a benchmark.

Have they unified the OCing and voltage stuff on the ta890fxe? My friend has a tpower 790gx board and the OC options are scattered all over the place. The board works great, but going through a dozen screens for one OC is kinda rough.

Yea, Biostar BIOSes are a mess sometimes, but this one isn't too difficult. The old T-Power i45 I had had about a 3 week learning curve to it, lol. The biggest thing that is hard to get used to is there are no values for voltage increases, it's just plus or minus so many volts....this scares off a lot of noobs.

Here are your basic screens though. This one is the main screen. Pretty obvious.
hpim2078p.jpg

This is a subset of that for multiplier and CPU/NB settings. Also, you can increase voltage from here in smaller increments to the CPU/NB and CPU by adjusting the VID. Otherwise in the previous screen you can simply add .50v to either.
hpim2077.jpg

And the RAM screen.
hpim2079s.jpg

All in all it's pretty straight forward. I'll post more pics of other subscreens if you would like.

I just replaced a TA785G3 board(still a good board) with the TA890FXE. I haven't had any issues so far and been stable. For the price, its hard to beat.

I just replaced a TA785G3 board(still a good board) with the TA890FXE. I haven't had any issues so far and been stable. For the price, its hard to beat.

If you need any advice on the TA890fxe settings let me know...I think I have it mastered, lol. :D

OK guys, I just went through and cleaned up a bunch of the poo that was flung in here. Enjoy a peaceful few days and enjoy playing with this board. :)

Any more disruptions in the future, don't hesitate to hit the report post button. ;)

mudd

For what it's worth, I'm sorry for "feeding the troll"...he just really got under my skin with his attitude.

Thanks 'Doc. :D

EDIT: Awww! You pulled my Billy Madison quote! Tell me you didn't laugh! j/k

I'm back!

Quick question, has anyone done the SLI hack on this board? I picked up a second PNY GTX 465 *cough*470*cough*. I'm curious if the hack works.

My current PSU won't be able to feed the whole system and I do not want to risk the PSU going out with other components.

I'm back!

Quick question, has anyone done the SLI hack on this board? I picked up a second PNY GTX 465 *cough*470*cough*. I'm curious if the hack works.

My current PSU won't be able to feed the whole system and I do not want to risk the PSU going out with other components.

Bump...I have no clue. I never bothered to hack drivers...I figure they are buggy enough without me screwing with them. I'm sure someone has though...maybe ask the same question in the Nvidia Video card area?

What PSU you running?

I just realized something does this board even support SLi? It says Crossfire ready but no mention of SLi ready.

Nope...well...not officially. I have heard of people hacking drivers and getting things to work, but the official answer is no.

SLI=Nvidia (Ati's arch nemisis)
X-Fire=ATi (Nvidia's arch nemisis)

You can run SLI with an AMD CPU...but you cannot run SLI with an AMD chipset, the 890fx is an AMD chipset.

On the otherside, you cannot run X-fire on a motherboard with an Nvidia chipset, but you can on some Intels.

If you desire an AMD CPU with dual Nvidia cards your options are limited. There are a few exceptions to the rule...special (expensive) motherboards, but this is not one of them.

Go Ati or run one single Nvidia card. :cry:

Gah that screws up my build in my other thread I was hoping to eventually go SLi on that 460 GTX. What's all this business about an SLi hack wouldn't that void warranty and/or damage the board over time?

I honestly believe that a single card not only gives you less power consumption, less heat generation, less noise and costs less. It also gives you much less trouble. I have heard of people not being able to oc' well with dual cards, people with stability issues or drivers not working. And on top of that, there are no games that a single card can't run with ease. :shrug: 5850 FTW.

Gah that screws up my build in my other thread I was hoping to eventually go SLi on that 460 GTX. What's all this business about an SLi hack wouldn't that void warranty and/or damage the board over time?
If I understand it right it's a software (driver) hack, not hardware.

It's not a matter of physical incompatibility at all. For example, there are SETI folks running dual nVidia and mixed nVidia / ATi cards on the same machine but they're used for crunching, they're not combined to use in a single app like a game. The cards run fine individually, even with the multiple cards installed ...

Well xoke has been helping me a long a bit so I'll throw this out here I plan to get a GTX 460, if you guys believe one will be enough for just about anything I can throw at it the LIST will remain unchanged.

(Hope Xoke doesn't mind me linking my thread >.>; )

Sorry, I don't think a driver hack would hurt anything physically...but software wise it could be a nightmare. Ati is set to drop 6XXX around December-ish this year...any they will be faster than the 460s...like a 10 year game of leap frog...it never ends.

I honestly believe that a single card not only gives you less power consumption, less heat generation, less noise and costs less. It also gives you much less trouble. I have heard of people not being able to oc' well with dual cards, people with stability issues or drivers not working. And on top of that, there are no games that a single card can't run with ease. :shrug: 5850 FTW.

I love running dual cards...always have since it was possible. But, what Chance says is technically correct, although I think he is a silly girl for only running one card at a time. :D

If I understand it right it's a software (driver) hack, not hardware.

It's not a matter of physical incompatibility at all. For example, there are SETI folks running dual nVidia and mixed nVidia / ATi cards on the same machine but they're used for crunching, they're not combined to use in a single app like a game. The cards run fine individually, even with the multiple cards installed ...

Agreed.

Well xoke has been helping me a long a bit so I'll throw this out here I plan to get a GTX 460, if you guys believe one will be enough for just about anything I can throw at it the LIST will remain unchanged.

(Hope Xoke doesn't mind me linking my thread >.>; )

It's all good man, I'm more mad at you for getting an Nvidia card, lol...I kid I kid...dude, one single gtx 460 is gonna knock your socks off. It will perform well for a long time....at least long enough for you to come to your senses and get some Ati cards, lol! :D

Well you guys make a very convincing point I'm just going to stick with this mobo and the one card for now maybe later I'll move over to a hack driver or ATi but for now I see no reason to spend more than necessary when a great board is sitting right in front of me. Thanks again guys!

LMAO! Thanks Xoke. :rolleyes:

Quiet has a point also. It's nothing with hardware since technically SLI and X-fire are the same thing. The only reason they say you can't run one on the other is from a legal standpoint. Amd would loose so much money if news got out that you could run X-fire on an Nvidia chipset. People would jump on the chipsets because they oc' better. Now this is just an example, but you can look at it from any view point.

It's all good man, I'm more mad at you for getting an Nvidia card, lol...I kid I kid...dude, one single gtx 460 is gonna knock your socks off. It will perform well for a long time....at least long enough for you to come to your senses and get some Ati cards, lol! :D

Well you know how one bad experience can ruin everything? Well ATi's 5770 pretty much molested me about 6 months back when I got a card that made me so mad I sent it back to them for my cash back. I suppose that I could give them another shot but can there be a DX11 card same price range that will preform tooth nail (or possibly better) with the GTX 460?

Back