• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar TA890FXE cheap and awesome!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That would be the 5850. :thup:

$45 more... You see this is what happens when you try to adhere to a strict budget. I think if I work with a couple things try to gather some money here and there I might be able to make it work. ATi is always trying to touch me in my bad place (the wallet).

Would a 550W corsair keep up with two or will I end up just upgrading in the future? Also regardless of what happens video card wise I'm sticking with this mobo.

Well you know how one bad experience can ruin everything? Well ATi's 5770 pretty much molested me about 6 months back when I got a card that made me so mad I sent it back to them for my cash back. I suppose that I could give them another shot but can there be a DX11 card same price range that will preform tooth nail (or possibly better) with the GTX 460?

Maybe you got a bad card?

I would never recommend a 5770 (128bit memory interface)....as of now you gotta run 58XX (256bit interface) or nothing in my opinion.

From [H]ard http://hardocp.com/article/2010/07/26/geforce_gtx_460_sli_performance_vs_amd_gpus/

The GeForce GTX 460 SLI setup is certainly a great performer. In terms of AMD's DX11 product lineup, the GeForce GTX 460 SLI option lands somewhere between the Radeon HD 5870 and the dual GPU Radeon HD 5970. The Radeon HD 5970 is faster, but much more expensive, and the Radeon HD 5870 is a slower performer but less expensive.

When compared to performance of single high-end video cards from AMD, the value of the GeForce GTX 460 SLI option loses some of its luster. The AMD Radeon HD 5000 video cards can be doubled-up as well, which will deliver a better performance than the GTX 460 SLI ever will.

So, where does the GTX 460 SLI solution hold solid value? For those of you looking to upgrade to SLI later, the GeForce GTX SLI holds a very solid value. For those of you looking to go with an NVIDIA product, it holds a tremendously solid value.

For gamers looking to get into multi-monitor gaming, the Radeon HD 5850 may be a better overall value than the GeForce GTX 460 SLI. Each video card costs only about $30 more than the Galaxy Super OC GeForce GTX 460 cards we used for this evaluation, but the 5850 will support Eyefinity multi-display gaming right out of the box, without having to buy a second video card.

To be honest Ron, you would almost never need to go X-fire 5850's. That's a lot of power. A 550 would not handle it regardless of the make (Corsair is top notch) though. It would easily power a single though.

You're trying really hard arn't you rofl? XD Seriously though holy crap... for $30 more I can get near 460 SLi performance with a single card? You kidding me >.>; That would be a crime to pass that up. In fact from what I see in some instances the 5850 will actually over take the 460 SLi (if even for a brief moment). I think I'm convinced here. Trying to turn me into an AMD Fanboy >.>;

Thing is I'm not really big on one or the other anymore especailly since I saw the saving for AMD I've learned one thing High end Intel will in fact kick AMD's *** but will cost you a lot more than some of AMD's top of the line stuff.

Nvidia is nice and inexpensive (to an extent) but AMD is hefty and packs a punch mean while not being all the much more high priced than Nvidia and since I'm a budget type of guy AMD and ATi are just starting to take the cake for me to be honest.

Also remember at the time I was trying to replace this 9800GT on a budget so 5770 seemed like the logical choice because this 9800 isn't a GTX or even the 1GB Gt it's the 512MB I regret ever having gotten this damned thing >.>;

perfrel.gif

There are so many good cards from both companies...and there will be even better ones next year. it never ends. :D

The 9800 is still a decent card. My 9800Gtx has taken care of me through thick and thin and once I move to an Ati card, it'll be put into my countless rigs made of retired parts to see use once more. :D

Edit: There is no way the 480 beats the 5870 by 15%!

The 9800 is still a decent card. My 9800Gtx has taken care of me through thick and thin and once I move to an Ati card, it'll be put into my countless rigs made of retired parts to see use once more. :D

Edit: There is no way the 480 beats the 5870 by 15%!

That is a relative performance graph...grain of salt.

My buddies machine running 2 8800gts is still playing all of todays games at 1920...some cards are rockstars.

I mean look at my 4890s...fastest cards for a while last year, now barely mid-range...I think I paid around $700 for the pair. But...I don't need cards this year, as I am still in the midrange! 6XXX here I come!

Last edited:
I would love everything if I was loaded rich >.>; Budgeting for computers sucks because you would give anything for that 100 bucks extra for this or that.

Well to be honest, If I were rich, I would've gone with an intel build and never found the light side of computing. I'm extremely happy I don't pay 3 times the price for an unlocked multiplier. :bang head Amd is everything I'll ever need. Unless I get it free, I won't be running any intel.

I wouldn't want the extra $100 for say something intel as much as for all the parts I want now. Top of the line stuff, though it'll be out dated in like 6-7 months flat.

Definitely true. :/ Shame being 15. Lmao

It doesn't get any better at 32. "Mo money, mo problems!" :D

I would love everything if I was loaded rich >.>; Budgeting for computers sucks because you would give anything for that 100 bucks extra for this or that.

I here ya. You just got to pick your fights, sacrifice where you can. Why do you think I'm running an AMD, on a Biostar, with Geil RAM, and Biostar GPUs...money. But, if the time is taken to research...think...catch a few deals here and there you can put a system together that is in within 20% of the fastest, but at only 50% of the cost. To me, that is the art of overclocking. Anyone can go to NewEgg...sort by most expensive...and put together a really fast system. It takes some thought to sort by lowest price and put together a pretty damn good one. :D

Either way you go, 460 or 5850, your going to be happy. Neither is a bad card in any way shape or form. Me personally, I'm a dual card guy...I don't know why. I'm not an ATi guy or an Nvidia guy, my last three systems were Nvidia SLI...2x7800gs, 2x8800gts, 2x9800gts. Then I jumped ship to Ati. None of them were slow.

i guess what I'm trying to say is there is no wrong answer for what your looking at.

Well actually the whole reason I want the 5850 is simply this same price range better performance, in the long run it'll be longer till I have to upgrade meaning my money gets stretched further so it's a huge plus.

Back