• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar TA890FXE cheap and awesome!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 460 with lifetime warranty is $239.99 (0.99 shipping) vs. $284.99 for performance equal to 460 SLi so I'm assuming that stand alone 5850 would kill a single 460, so I'm willing to push an extra $45, not that I'm happy about it but even so lol

It doesn't get any better at 32. "Mo money, mo problems!" :D

Kids :sly:It does get worse at 43 though :cry:

Pulling the trigger on a GTX 460 this Friday from the egg (hmmm it went off sale so now its $30 for it go figure), going to put it in the sons computer then take his 9800gtx AMP 512 meg and put it in a Foxconn Destroyer/AMD 920/4G OCZ 1066 5/5/5//12 ram and ship it off to the niece (she's 5 so that system should take care of her for a bit).

The son is starting to play BF2 now and the 9800 is doing great but want to get his video up some more so if he starts playing more intense games he can deal with it better.

Haven't seen anything listed on the Noctua NH-D14 on a Biostar TA890FXE so I think I will order one and see if it will fit, gonna grab a HAF 932 to put it all into at the same time. xokeman is there a reason you went with the Coolit over the H50? I am going to put LC on the wifes i7 920 and was thinking of grabbing a H50 when I order the rest of this stuff.

Last edited:
Kids :sly:It does get worse at 43 though :cry:

Haven't seen anything listed on the Noctua NH-D14 on a Biostar TA890FXE so I think I will order one and see if it will fit, gonna grab a HAF 932 to put it all into at the same time. xokeman is there a reason you went with the Coolit over the H50? I am going to put LC on the wifes i7 920 and was thinking of grabbing a H50 when I order the rest of this stuff.

No reason at all except that I was in Microcenter, it was on sale, and I was sick of fan noise. :D So far I'm very pleased, the two perform pretty similar in my opinion. With mine set up as a pull (blowing air out of the case) ~3800mhz, at 1.4v on CPU and 1.2v on CPU/NB (no C&Q), I idle at 32c and load up at 53c.

I chime in near the bottom of this review post. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644041

This is the hack I was speaking of. After reading and searching regarding the hack, there were many successful attempt. I will try this hack over the weekend. Hopefully I will have a "CrosSLI" board :)

Please keep this thread informed on your efforts and if it resulted in success since that pertains to something I would like to try my self hehe.

Alright, quick pre-installation update. After digging through the SLI hack command files, this hack seems to add a new set of files; hal, osloadw7, and a dll file. This also add a new startup entry to select either original or hacked os files.

There are too many concerns for me to do this. I am currently looking for a more permanent mod(aka bios hack). I've been reading and searching through many forums and there is a possibility of doing so.

The research continues.

I wanted to get this mobo but I think xoke told me to go for the mobo I have since this mobo works better with unlock cpus :(

EDIT: though no regrets, /highfive Xoke! :D

I wanted to get this mobo but I think xoke told me to go for the mobo I have since this mobo works better with unlock cpus :(

EDIT: though no regrets, /highfive Xoke! :D

Yup I did, lol. (I think you meant locked^^^) :D

This thing is a beast with Black Edition (unlocked) CPUs, but it struggles with base clock overclocking. Mine starts getting real flaky after a 250 base clock...not real good if your processor has an locked multiplier.

Hopefully the improve the BIOS and improve this in the future. Honesty is the best policy. ;)

Last edited:
Another update regarding sli hack.

So far, the tool I used to inject the string was a failure. I am currently on another forum and asking for help.

I'm not sure if this board is capable of adding the sli string. I have tried osx on this board, it was a blast and all but failure to generate the correct dsdt table was no fun. Over 200 errors and went back to windows.

Yup I did, lol. (I think you meant locked^^^) :D

This thing is a beast with Black Edition (unlocked) CPUs, but it struggles with base clock overclocking. Mine starts getting real flaky after a 250 base clock...not real good if your processor has an locked multiplier.

Hopefully the improve the BIOS and improve this in the future. Honesty is the best policy. ;)

Gigabyte boards are great baseclockers. I can get mine to boot at around 300 base clock. :eek:

Another update regarding sli hack.

So far, the tool I used to inject the string was a failure. I am currently on another forum and asking for help.

I'm not sure if this board is capable of adding the sli string. I have tried osx on this board, it was a blast and all but failure to generate the correct dsdt table was no fun. Over 200 errors and went back to windows.

Lol. Apple sucks as a company. :shrug: That's all there is to it. Good luck with the sli though.

Confirm SLI hack from xdev works perfectly fine so far. nVidia control panel detects both cards and running on SLI.

Please note I have not ran any bench yet to confirm but I am happy the hack did not render my system useless.

I will continue to work on a Bios mod and see if a permanent solution can be done.

Specs:
TA890FXE With bios 89FAD629
2 x PNY 465 Flashed to 470 Bios
MSI SLI Bridge
nVidia Driver 257.29 (I heard too many problems with 258+ drivers with black screen)

Confirm SLI hack from xdev works perfectly fine so far. nVidia control panel detects both cards and running on SLI.

Please note I have not ran any bench yet to confirm but I am happy the hack did not render my system useless.

I will continue to work on a Bios mod and see if a permanent solution can be done.

Specs:
TA890FXE With bios 89FAD629
2 x PNY 465 Flashed to 470 Bios
MSI SLI Bridge
nVidia Driver 257.29 (I heard too many problems with 258+ drivers with black screen)

Well the worst it could have done from what I hear is cause you to have to redo the drivers. Clean the NVidia out and replace with the ATi drivers.

Well that's fixable with reformat, well the OS anyway. I would assume a CMOS or something of the like would help get past the boot issue. As far as rendering your actual computer useless I don't think it can really, maybe though.

Back