• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build Log] PHANTEKS ENTHOO PRO M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll defer to Witch Doctor. I don't monkey with my pumps as they are all D5 Varios that I control through the setting on the pump and let them run.

Are the pump even being controlled even though they show up as 0 rpm on the fan header in the bios.

Can't speak to what you are seeing

Typically there is a curve you can customize based upon temp or there is presets, silent/meduim/high and so forth

You can like GK say just set the pump ?

with the D5 medium in the dial is fine for this loop / like 3ish

but if controlled by PMW can really wind down for stuff like e-mail, surfing and such and be on the ready should you start pushing the CPU

with the pump and fans set up it can be quite as a mouse then put the hammer down when needed

Looks like I have to mod my pump base on my finding here which is odd it never reports anything to the bios. rpm = 0 even though the pump is running.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1474470/ocn-aquaero-owners-club/50#post_21956203

0dbc81db_P2176377.jpeg

The green and blue wires are the PWM and tach wire for the D5 connector.

That mod goes right on the D5's 4 pin connector that plugs onto the A6.

The easiest way to do it might actually be to make up a short extension cable with the mod on the extension cable's plug.

Google Zener Diode, and you'll see how they work so they can create a 5V source from the 12V that's present on the power pins of the A6 fan connectors.

Darlene

Last edited:
Look what just got in. :rock:

Fan1.jpg

Fan2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Can't speak to what you are seeing

Typically there is a curve you can customize based upon temp or there is presets, silent/meduim/high and so forth

You can like GK say just set the pump ?

with the D5 medium in the dial is fine for this loop / like 3ish

but if controlled by PMW can really wind down for stuff like e-mail, surfing and such and be on the ready should you start pushing the CPU

with the pump and fans set up it can be quite as a mouse then put the hammer down when needed

I don't see any kind of dialing on this pump is all PWM from my understanding. Is not loud when is running I am just not sure why is not reporting to the bios the RPM.

I̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶u̶m̶p̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶x̶,̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶i̶z̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶p̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶u̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶o̶n̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶u̶m̶p̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶3̶5̶0̶0̶r̶p̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶c̶h̶i̶e̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶1̶-̶1̶.̶5̶g̶p̶m̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶p̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶r̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶c̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶k̶s̶.̶ ̶P̶u̶m̶p̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶y̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶s̶t̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶f̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶e̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶d̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶c̶e̶s̶s̶a̶r̶y̶.̶ ̶F̶o̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶q̶u̶i̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶e̶n̶u̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶y̶s̶t̶e̶m̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶v̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶p̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶-̶b̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶.̶

Edit: Disregard comment, this is what I get for not finishing looking at the rest of the posts, lol.

I wouldn't run the pump at max, for the size of your loop and the number of components you have, you probably don't need to run that pump at more than 3500rpm to achieve the 1-1.5gpm, anything more will really just add pressure to the loop and increase chances of leaks. Pump can stay at a constant flow rate, or you can have it adjust some, but it's not really necessary. For being as quiet as possible when not gaming or doing anything strenuous on the system you want your fans on a curve so they aren't spinning full-bore all the time.

I see, I have no idea how fast that pump is running to be honest with you or if the system is controlling it via PWM as I have no rpm reading on the bios for that CPU Fan header for the pump. Good to know, thanks for the info I just wish I had an idea if the system is running the pump at medium setting or not.

Also I don't hear that pump running at all even though it is as you see the fluid moving.

Just to clarify, you have what look like a normal 4pin power connector that goes to a plug on the PSU with only two wires in it, and another 4pin plug that goes to a fan header on the MB, also with only two wires in it? the one going to the MB is for the PWM signal (blue wire) should be in, either the 1 or 4 slot depending on how you look at it, and the one next to it is the rpm signal wire (normally green).

That mod their showing is for the Aqua computer controller, not sure how that would affect the MB fan headers, but if nothing else, you should be getting a rpm signal from the pump, you might want to double check that you have the pinholes lines up, it's possible to have shifted the plug and gotten it in there.

Edit: if you can here the pump it's flowin' full bore.

Just to clarify, you have what look like a normal 4pin power connector that goes to a plug on the PSU with only two wires in it, and another 4pin plug that goes to a fan header on the MB, also with only two wires in it?

Yes only two wires per each cable.

Yes I have it plug the way that cable go in a 4 pin mobo connector but I can take some pictures later on and post them to make sure the cables are not crossed or something. Is there a possibility that the sensor cable is shorten and if that is the case that pump would be running at 100% correct?

If the sensor cable has been shorted out you won't get an rpm signal. If the pwm cable isn't getting a signal the default for most pumps is 100%. I looked up your MB manual, which fan header is your pump plugged into?

Whoa the confusion here. lol Lets take a few steps back and start on a clean slate.

Take a few pics as stated of the pump and connections. We need to make sure that it is a PWM pump. Take a snap shot of the rear of the pump as well if you can.

The pump mod as stated is a mod used on 3rd party PWM D5 pumps (Non-AC) that will only be able to work with the Aquaero.

After that with a few pics, we should know what is going on with the pump. You ever ran the pump prior? Did ever run dry? Made loud noises? Air trapped in pump? Its possible your pump might be dead if you aren't feeling a vibration or hearing anything from it but first we need to see if its connected properly.

Whoa the confusion here. lol Lets take a few steps back and start on a clean slate.

Take a few pics as stated of the pump and connections. We need to make sure that it is a PWM pump. Take a snap shot of the rear of the pump as well if you can.

The pump mod as stated is a mod used on 3rd party PWM D5 pumps (Non-AC) that will only be able to work with the Aquaero.

After that with a few pics, we should know what is going on with the pump. You ever ran the pump prior? Did ever run dry? Made loud noises? Air trapped in pump? Its possible your pump might be dead if you aren't feeling a vibration or hearing anything from it but first we need to see if its connected properly.

The pump has always ran I have the EK box that state is a PWM pump, and the pump has dual cables. One for power, the second one for sensor read out. The pump has work fine is just I can't get a read out from the bios or the utility software for EVGA X99 Micro. This has been since the first time I fired up the pump so is nothing new. Pump is moving fluid just fine and cooling the system just fine as you can see 24C on the pictures no air trap as I shake the living hell out of the case to make sure all bubbles move around and out. Pump never ran dried ever as I move the fluid across prior to running the pump. Pump has no noise, or vibration except the vibration from the line telling you that fluid is moving across. Pump has only been connected to CPU FAN or CPU OPS or whatever is called second fan header.

When I was trying to leak test it and the PWM cable was on the mobo but the power was on the secondary PSU powering it up. It would not run, when I plug both into the system it will run the pump. So it selling me is using that cable somehow.

After reading EK requirements and EVGA X99 mobo requirements I plug the molex to the PSU and the sensor cable to CPU FAN Header 1 and 2 but nothing.

After looking at this manual I don't think I have done any changes on the bios. hmm.....

Update:
This sound like my current issue in this post here. & http://www.overclock.net/t/1572798/...pumps-and-reservoirs-combos/180#post_24917146

X99MicroFanSys.jpg

X99MicroFanSys 2.jpg
• CHA Fan - This is a chassis fan that is controller via PWM
You can select what you want the curve to be based off of; once this is selected you
have the same controls as CPU1.

• All following fans, SYS Fan 1&2, PWR Fan and Aux Fan are all controlled by adjusting
voltage input, not through PWM.

Last edited:
Well you know your not drawing any power from the pump through the MB since it's being powered by the PSU directly, so no worries about over loading it there. That redit post sounds feasible, that might be why there was the article about how to mod a d5 for the aquaero controller. Makes sense if they used a different protocol than most that it would interfere with how a MB reads sensor data if it reads it at all.

If you can change the fan values from the OS through MB software I would try changing that in small increments to see if you can feel a difference in pump speed, it looks like it has a default value of 50% which is probably pretty close to where you want the pump anyways, and if it is only spinning at 50% that would explain why you can't hear it like a stuck banshee or vibrating like a... (insert your own comment here). I wouldn't try more than say 10% increase intervals to see if you are getting a response, and don't jump up to 100% right away, it would be my luck I have a loose connection and the added pressure from running 10% would start a leak, but that's me.

Makes sense, some pumps if they don't have a PWM signal won't turn, it all depends on how they are wired, my pumps (and most I've read about) run full-bore until they get a pwm signal.

D5 pumps are not intel spec'd PWM and only run at a max 60% I've heard. If there's no PWM signal, by default a fan or pump will run at 100% but in the case of the 3rd party D5s, they might just be running at 60%.

How is the flow looking in the reservoir? Is it wavy or splashy or calm looking? Based on those right there, I can give a rough estimate of your flow rate. For example, when I'm 0.5 GPM and under, the flow in my dual bay reservoir looks calm. At 0.7+ GPM, it looks wavy. At close to 1.5 GPM, it looks splashy like a hurricane in there but than again, all of this means nothing if your reservoir isn't similar to mine so take this with a grain of salt.

D5 pumps are not intel spec'd PWM and only run at a max 60% I've heard. If there's no PWM signal, by default a fan or pump will run at 100% but in the case of the 3rd party D5s, they might just be running at 60%.

How is the flow looking in the reservoir? Is it wavy or splashy or calm looking? Based on those right there, I can give a rough estimate of your flow rate. For example, when I'm 0.5 GPM and under, the flow in my dual bay reservoir looks calm. At 0.7+ GPM, it looks wavy. At close to 1.5 GPM, it looks splashy like a hurricane in there but than again, all of this means nothing if your reservoir isn't similar to mine so take this with a grain of salt.

Calm a little wavy but not crazy or splashy or anything like that. You can tell fluid is moving and circulating around which is a good sign. Fan that I installed 2150 rpm for some odd reason are still going fast 2297rpm? huh? The pump is CPU FAN 0. My pump is a EK D5 Lowara pump.
FAN Speed 001.jpg
EK-D5 PWM Motor (12V DC PWM Pump Motor)
d5-pwm-back_800.jpg

For some odd reason I move the location of the Swiftech hub on the back move the connector from were it was located to CPU Fan Header 1, move the pump to CPU Fan Header 2. Removed the case Fan from PWR Fan port to CHA Fan and rebooted. Now the fans are reporting 1931rpm on all 4 new 120mm Gentle Typhoon 2150rpm fans. The Cha Fan is running at 747rpm which is the rear case fan. Is is much quieter now which is nice. I think I hear now the pump running which is the only thing I need to fix. Try to get the pump to report RPM back to the system. At the worse case I have to buy a new one and install it that will give me some kind of report. One thing I notice once I power unplug the pump from the CPU Fan Header , you hear it winding down like about to shut off. Is it supposed to do that? One problem solved one more to go.

FAN Speed 002.jpg

Is it normal to hear the pump like having a small cricket in your case? Nothing loud a very low sound like it. XD I wonder if is going fast or slow and is making that sound.

Last edited:
Can you record the sound of your pump for us? Would help to see if we can make out the sound.

Also, I seemed to have similar issues with my EVGA X99 Classified and the Swiftech 8-way PWM splitters. I had 2 pumps on a pump cable splitter from swiftech on CPU header 1 and all the rad fans chained on two 8-ways PWM splitters to CPU Header 2. The pumps showed up fine and were controllable via BIOS and the fans on those 2 chained hubs we're uncontrollable at 100% speed. When I swapped the pumps to #2 and fans to #1, the fans worked and the pumps didn't have control. Basically, anything connected to my CPU #2, ran uncontrollable at 100% speed no matter. This tells me that the PWM doesn't work as intended in CPU #2 but work on CPU # 1. For the record, both fans and pumps I have are all PWM controlled. Not sure if they fixed that because I didn't wait long enough to find out nor do I remember if I did have it fixed but in the mean time I had the pumps on #1 and rad fans @ 100% on #2 before I got a premium controller to take care of it all.

Just to also throw that out there, make sure you have the right connectors connected on the swiftech splitter. There's a header #1 that basically is copied and sent to the rest of the headers. Make sure the distance isn't too long or too many splits because the PWM signal tends to weaken and that will result in no control. Have you also tried each individual fan or a single fan on the splitter to see just in case a wire might be severed some where not visible?

Overall you could forget with everything I said about bad wiring if you have the same issue I had with the one CPU header. I'd have a chat with EVGA and see if they have a future fix for this.

The Fans are working perfectly fine now lol *shrug maybe something with the cable and connections. I have all 4 fans on the hub and they are all running 1911rpm while gaming. Pretty darn quiet for sure but now the issue is just the pump not reporting anything to the bios or software. I will record the pump sound to see, should I turn off the fans for the recording?

Which header is the pump and fans connected too? If I recall as you said and I had experienced, when we plug anything PWM on CPU header #2, there's is no control. Do I have this right on your end?

Okay here I record it with my condense singing mic, and normalize it so you guys can hear it clearly. The Fan noise you can tell easy is like a deep sound while the pump is more of a littel high pitch.

DropBox (Audio Sound)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpwux39ofrdri05/Pump Sound.mp3?dl=0

YouTube (Video Recording)

Pump is on CPU Header 2

CPU Header 1 and 2 are PWM inlcuding Cha Sys Header.

*Update I am uploading a video to my YouTube Channel, so you can see how the pump is working as far as the water in the res.

Last edited:
Back