• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

copper shim and stacking question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dem1an

do you need a copper shim to stablize a wc rig? will rubber work just as well? i think i read that copper shims actually decrease performance. how do the parts stack? is there any sealant around the block and the plate or is this made watertight with just a clamp?

socket
cpu
shim
pelt
coldplate
waterblock
clamp

the dangerden clamp for the fcpga looks a little wimpy to me. what about the becooling method with big plates and 4 bolts?

thanks,
dem1an

dem1an (Mar 28, 2001 12:03 p.m.):
socket
cpu
shim
pelt
coldplate
waterblock
clamp
Nope, like this:

socket
CPU
shim
coldplate
peltier
waterblock
clamp

Got it?

Honestly you shouldn't need a shim for a peltier/waterblock set-up. The closed cell foam seal should "stabalize" the waterblock perfectly fine. The clamps with a screw directly over the CPU die are the easiest to install. The ones that mount via the four MoBo holes are much more difficult to level.

so the closed cell foam or neoprene gets sandwhiched where the shim is above?

the water comes in direct contact with the pelt via the channels in the block?

dem1an (Mar 28, 2001 12:28 p.m.):so the closed cell foam or neoprene gets sandwhiched where the shim is above?
The foam get squished between the waterblock and the pin grid array. The foam will then be able to keep warm moist air away from the cold peltier and cold plate.

dem1an (Mar 28, 2001 12:28 p.m.):the water comes in direct contact with the pelt via the channels in the block?
The water doesn't acctually touch the peltier, the peltier heats up the waterblock, the water cools the waterblock.

gotcha on the foam and the waterblock. the pics on dangerden are a cross section of the block.

one more question...

does it matter which dangerden block you get, slot1 vs fcpga? looks like the only diff is where the stems are. does this really matter? i'm planning on mounting to a slot 1 adapter now but i can't see how it would really matter if i got the fcpga design. this design would obviously be better for a socket mobo.

dem1an (Mar 28, 2001 12:47 p.m.):
one more question...

does it matter which dangerden block you get, slot1 vs fcpga? looks like the only diff is where the stems are. does this really matter? i'm planning on mounting to a slot 1 adapter now but i can't see how it would really matter if i got the fcpga design. this design would obviously be better for a socket mobo.
The Slocket version should not be used on a socket based motherboard. However, either version will work on a slocket. I have a socket Tidal Pool waterblock that works fine on a slocket.

doh...should never say one more question.

thermal grease goes on the chip and on either side of the pelt?

ordering my kit today. =) gulp.

dem1an (Mar 28, 2001 12:55 p.m.):
doh...should never say one more question.

thermal grease goes on the chip and on either side of the pelt?

ordering my kit today. =) gulp.
Put thermal interface material everywhere that heat will transfered from one solid to another. Meaning, put it on both sides of the peltier, and put it between the CPU and coldplate. If you get a shim, DO NOT put it on the shim, as this will serve to make the shim thicker which results in the coldplate not contacting the CPU.

Back