• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crashes while gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Templisk

Registered
Hey guys, not sure what all you need to I'll just load up on the information.

I built my computer a couple years ago and have kept all the same components except the video card, keyboard, and mouse. I have experienced crashes off and on in the last 2 months sometimes as much as 4 times per hour. These crashes seem to happen most frequently (99% of the time) while running a 3d game such as World of Warcraft.

My current build includes:

Case: Thermaltake Armor
Mobo: EVGA nForce 750i SLI
PSU: Antec 850w big power
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
GPU: XFX GeForce GTX295
Memory: 4gb (2x2gb) OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
Soundcard: Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
HDD0: WD Velociraptor 300gb
HDD1: WD Caviar 500gb
Optical drives: 2 - LG 18X DVD±R Super-Multi DVD Burner
Anti-virus: Webroot Internet Security
Miscellaneous: Logitech G-19 keyboard, Logitech G9x mouse, speakers/headset both with 3.5mm plugins

Sidenote: HDD0 is the only drive that has anything on it. Windows and all my programs are run from this drive, the spare drive is intended for fraps but I haven't actually used it yet.

So far I have:
-Reformatted twice, completed every windows update, updated all the drivers I could find for my components.
-Tried disabling my sound card and using the onboard sounds.
-Run Prime95 for 8 hours and got these results on the blend mode:

8hrTemps.jpg

-Ran Memtest86 for 9 hours with 0 fails.
-Searched the event viewer and noticed these errors all have very similar time stamps which are about the same time I crash and reboot:

logOverview.jpg

logCritical.jpg

logError.jpg

logWarning.jpg

A quick search shows that the warning message in the event viewer is indicative of a keyboard not being compatible with windows 7, but I've had this keyboard for more than 6 months before the first error occurred. A further search said that the slideshow app for the keyboard is not compatible so I've disabled that app and made sure I have the driver from Logitech that is for windows 7 64-bit.

I'm pretty lost as to what to try now, the crashes sometimes are just once a day, other times it's 4 times in one hour. Usually it crashes when I'm gaming, but most of the time on my computer is spent gaming. I have seen it crash once while I was away and left the computer idle on the desktop.

If someone can help point me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative.

Run FurMark. Make sure to use the stability/stress option and select what your actual resolution is.

If that works, load up Prime95 in the background, give it low priority in Task Manager and run FurMark again.

I downloaded FurMark 1.9.1 the most recent version and I don't see a stability test. I ran it on xtreme burn-in and the temperatures leveled out at 96C. No crashes.

96C is pretty warm, even for that card. That said, Furmark isnt a realistic load on your cards so gaming temps should be 10C or so less.

Next, load up P95 and then run Fur too!

Ran P95 on low priority, then loaded up FurMark with these settings. Test went just over 20 minutes before I stopped seeing a temperature change.

furMarkP95.jpg

Well, not a temp or power issue it seems. P95+Fur should have brought it down if so.

Try slightly older drivers? Sure the game is patched fully? Do you have a GPU overclocking app like MSI afterburner or something active at the time?

Everything is running at completely stock speeds, I never worked up the courage to try overclocking for the first time.

The game has been patched fully twice each time I reformatted I was pretty OCD on making sure windows updates were taken care of, then antivirus, then installed programs, then scan disc/defragment.

Tonight I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the game, on my last install the patcher had to stop and resume because my internet went out.

I'll also look around for older drivers on all my components except the sound card, since the issue has been ongoing even with onboard sounds.

I also posted this on Tom's hardware but stopped getting replies. The only really useful reply I got was this one:
Downloading "HWMonitor" is a good way to keep an eye on all your temps.

It almost sounds like your PSU is topping out, but at 850w and Antec being a solid manufacturer, i don't see how it possibly can be.

Is your motherboard properly fastened down to your case using the correct stand-off screws ect? It could be shorting out which is causing interference followed by a crash.

Is there a possibility that I do have a short somewhere? This is the first computer I've assembled. The computer was put together in November of 08 and I've only just now started having problems.

That reply from Tom's actually isnt useful at all. Your system isnt close to hitting 850W at all stock. MAYBE 600, likely 500 or so.

As far as older drivers, I simply meant for your videocard for now.

Right on I have an old driver from a while back I'll try that for now and let you know how it turned out. Thanks for the help so far!

from my experience a psu doesn't need to be close to full load for a failing one to cause a random reboot. if you don't find that old drivers stop the reboots, try an old psu if you have one. Unfortunately, random reboots are the worst. It could really be anything. if you have the computer plugged into a power strip, try a different one or better yet, a different outlet. Im assuming you don't get a bsod but just to make sure you may want to disable the 'automatically restart' option so you can see a code if you get one. good luck getting your computer working square again.

Just tried 266.58 drivers which are a little older and still crashed.

When I crash my screen goes black, and my sounds stop without any repeating. Sometimes there's a loud buzzing noise but not always. The computer still stays running but until I power it off it continues. I am using a surge protector I'll try a different one. I was at a different house with these issues but used the same power strip so we'll see if that fixes it.

Latest update: I've been going for almost 2 days now with intermittent crashes still after trying a different power strip and some older video drivers. Are there any other testable solutions I can try? I don't have access to any additional components to swap out.

Speedfan used to indicate the nb. It probably won't be "named" northbridge(nb). It's been awhile since I used it but when I did it was good enough.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

On the 12 volt- just take the red lead from the dmm put it in the yellow plug of the molex and the black lead into the black.

On the 12 volt- just take the red lead from the dmm put it in the yellow plug of the molex and the black lead into the black.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Am I supposed to have an extra piece of equipment to test this?

Back