• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crashes while gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm I'll have to go pick one up at best buy or something while I'm out today. In the mean time Speedfan is giving me the following readings after just starting up the computer after 3 or so hours of being off: speedFanIdle.jpg

The system temp is incredibly high but I don't know what that is. A quick google search says other 750i motherboard owners have strange system temps in speedfan also.

Try Everest. http://www.lavalys.com/

But looking at your speedfan screenie, the 12 is 8.64. Let's hope that's an error in the reading.
Download and install everest then we'll see..

I'm kind of thinking that it's the AUX temp at 34c.

Last edited:
If that reading is correct am I causing any damage to my other components with all these forced restarts? I'm out at the mall now should I pick up a dmm or save the money and check the readings on everest?

Digitalmultimeters aren't that expensive. Pick one up. It's nice to have one handy.
Software/bios reads aren't always the most dependable.

Yeah I grabbed one earlier I'll pull try testing it in a bit. In the mean time, everest won't show the 12v under a trial so I checked bios. The 12v was 12.03

biosVoltages.jpg

I was able to get Everest to show the 12v reading by adding it to the LCD display on my keyboard. It shows as 12.09V. So the bios and Everest agree with each other.

I also just unplugged and replugged every connection on my computer to make sure I didn't have a lose cord to/from the PSU or motherboard. Crashed as soon as I loaded WoW.

Also, last night I uninstalled the game, and reinstalled to let it patch without me doing anything else, and then ran a defragment today. Disabled all the addons in game still crashing.

Edit: Ran everest stability test for just over half an hour to get a better idea on the voltages:

everestStats.jpg

Last edited:
Can you run 3dmark programs without crashing?
Have you run Memtest yet? http://www.memtest.org/
Is this your ram? http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr2-pc2-8500-platinum-4gb-edition-dual-channel-eol.html
2.1-2.2 for the voltage. Not 1.9

I have not run 3d mark yet but furmark by itself and with prime 95 simultaneously for 30 minutes each had no errors or crashing.

Memtest for 9 hours had no fails.

That is the model number of my memory set though. How do I adjust the voltages?

Alright timings were changed to 5-5-5-18 and the voltages were set fsb and memory were 1.2 and 2.1 respectively.

That screen is slightly different it has an extra option:
cpuFeature.jpg

After using those settings I've crashed again with the same symptoms. Screenshotted my HWMonitor as soon as I got it back on doesn't look like overheating with the new volts.

crashInfo.jpg

Boy this is a tough one.
Disable c1e, set the memory mode to ratio to 1:1, mhz to 800, and the other to 1333 .
Does it crash in all games?
Try running some of the 3dmark programs.
What error message is on the bsod?

That's the strange thing I don't get a blue screen and I don't get any error messages.

I've only crashed once while not in games but I spend 99% of my time gaming when the computer is on.

When I crash the screen goes black, my monitor says "display not detected" as if I unplugged it from my video card. The sounds either cut out entirely, make a buzzing sound, or loop the last half second or so. The motherboard and fans still have power and I don't see an error code on the motherboard. After 5 minutes it doesn't recover so I have to power down.

I haven't tried any other games but for WoW I've reinstalled it three times now after reformatting twice, I've set my graphics to the lowest quality disabled all addons etc.

Funny thing is I've never messed with any of these bios settings when I built the computer in 08 I just used the defaults the motherboard gave me and didn't have a problem, the problems started in the last month or two but I can't think of anything that's changed.

I'll try the new settings and run 3dmark.

Edit: I disabled c1e but when I went to change the memory settings I noticed I could only set memory clock mode to auto, linked or unlinked. On linked I could do 1:1 ratio but only adjust the FSB frequency, on unlinked I could not adjust the ratio but I could independently change the FSB and the memory. Was I in the wrong screen?
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q178/Templisk/Computer/memoryConfig.jpg

Last edited:
Download/install msi afterburner. Open it up so we can see the graphs on the right. Or d/l install gpu-z open it up to the "sensor" tab.
Run the furmark. Take a screenshot of it running and the graphs in the shot. I'm wondering if one of your gpu's aren't active?

Last edited:
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q178/Templisk/Computer/furMarkAfterBurner.jpg

About the same results I got when I ran prime95 with furMark on the same settings. The only hardware changes that I can make right now to see if it narrows down the problem: remove sound card, disconnect the empty 500gb hard drive, disconnect both cd drives, replace video card (GTX 295) with an 8800 GTS (G92).

Could it be my power usage? I have 2 hard drives, 2 cd drives, 4 fans daisy chained on one molex.

Everything else runs on it's own molex like the GPU and CPU fan.

Wait are you splicing power from the molex's to the gpu? You should try to avoid that.

No the power supply has the regular bundle and then some modular cables I run one modular pci e 6 and a pci 8 to the card, power to the card is stand alone

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q178/Templisk/Computer/furMarkAfterBurner.jpg

About the same results I got when I ran prime95 with furMark on the same settings. The only hardware changes that I can make right now to see if it narrows down the problem: remove sound card, disconnect the empty 500gb hard drive, disconnect both cd drives, replace video card (GTX 295) with an 8800 GTS (G92).

Could it be my power usage? I have 2 hard drives, 2 cd drives, 4 fans daisy chained on one molex.

Everything else runs on it's own molex like the GPU and CPU fan.

Or just remove the sound card, 500 hdd, and the cd drives.
Did you measure the 12 volt rail with a dmm when idle/under load on the 4 pin molex. If it flucuates too much isn't a good thing.
Red dmm lead to the yellow wire plug and black dmm lead to one of the black wire plugs in the molex.

Back