• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crashes while gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
12.08-12.09 under load(prime95) and idle with the dmm.

I haven't crashed yet since the c1e change if I crash again I'll remove the disc and cd drives and sound card. I doubt it's the sound card though, even after disabling it but leaving it in it's slot I was still crashing.

Ugh crashed again, disconnected the second hard drive and both cd drives, removed the sound card and then crashed yet again.

Edit: Downloaded PCMark 7, and ran it with the DMM hooked up the whole time.

Score is here: http://3dmark.com/pcm7/171382 but something I noticed on the 12v was at load I was in the range of 11.84-12.00 but what was really curious was I had a few spikey jumps, 11.84-11.93 and every value inbetween back and forth a couple times for about 15 seconds. Did that spikey thing twice.

Second edit: Crashed while the DMM was hooked up in game. It read 12.02 and stayed constant until I powered off. After restarting it's sitting at 12.05.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert at psu's but I'm pretty sure that kind of flucuation isn't a good thing.
You might want to contact Oklahoma Wolf on here and inquire.

Yeah as soon as I get home I'll ask Oklahoma Wolf to look over this, but I want to thank you for all the help you've given so far. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me try to narrow this down.

Last night I tried swapping the GTX 295 for the 8800 GTS 512 and went without a crash so I'll give it another day or so. I'll just leave the dmm hooked up while I'm playing and glance over at it but didn't notice it fluctuating last night.

I wonder if the video card is bad, or there is a problem with the PSU or one of the power cords leading to the card?

It might be that the psu is strained and can't send enough power to the card. This being that the psu might have some defective issue so it can't supply enough power. I'm no expert on this matter so I can't give you a definite answer.

Yeah as soon as I get home I'll ask Oklahoma Wolf to look over this, but I want to thank you for all the help you've given so far. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me try to narrow this down.

Last night I tried swapping the GTX 295 for the 8800 GTS 512 and went without a crash so I'll give it another day or so. I'll just leave the dmm hooked up while I'm playing and glance over at it but didn't notice it fluctuating last night.

I wonder if the video card is bad, or there is a problem with the PSU or one of the power cords leading to the card?

I think we're finally getting somewhere..:clap:
It's either a defective 12 pci-e output or vcard. How to tell?:shrug:
Swap the vcard in another system if you can. Then measure the 12 volt rail.

Okay so after a little over 24 hours of the 8800 GTS I have not crashed but have had a couple small hiccups where the graphic would freeze for a couple seconds. I'm going to write that off to intense bursts of graphics loads while in a 25 man raid encounter.

I'll put back in the GTX 295 tonight and try a different cable and a different port from the PSU for the 6 prong, and just use a different 8 prong off the bundle and see what happens.

Sadly I don't have a second system to try to test just the video cards :(

Back