• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dead mobo or dead cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Was testing out new ram tonight (definitely wasn't showin' me the love) and ran into trouble...seems par for my course lately :/

After one of many, many reboots...the board (mve) started hanging at error code 55 (memory not installed) or 66 (cpu dxe initialization is started). Cleared cmos. Did get into bios again a few times and tried a few saved settings and (still getting hanging 55/66 and either the cpu or ram led lighting) reset everything to default. The next time I got in to bios, all the power settings (except cpu and ram) were at max values!! This was after a fresh clearing of cmos including battery removal. Quickly set everything back to auto, saved and exited.

From that point...the setup seems to boot (gets to code AE) but the video/display doesn't turn on :( The power was going to the main part of the 7970 (blue light on the back was lit anyway) but the blue lights in the fan assembly weren't on neither were the fans. Eeek!! Swapped in a different video card...no difference (at least the fans were spinning now, though). Flashed the bios, newp. Ended up trying every pci-e slot with 2 different video cards...still nada.

I could test it with a different cpu but wondering what ya'll think.

So...dead mobo or dead cpu? Kinda hoping it's the mobo so I can rma hehe

The shortcut would be to drop in a different CPU if you've got one handy. If that test gives you the same frustration, RMA time. My 2 cents.

Funsoul did you swap out the Ram you were testing out I'm assuming you did, but....

that error code 55 I was getting trying to get my 2133 sticks to run at 2133, I had to loosen up the timings to get them to run there, that was on my Maximus Hero with the 4770k.

Well....looks like I killed the 2600k :( Tried with a 2500k and booted up without issue.

Bummoir :(

Anyone have a killer 2600k they'd be willing to sell?

Sorry to hear that my friend, it seems a chain of one thing after another lately as you said!! I hope someone comes up with a Replacement soon for you, yeah the joy's of Benching comes to mind!!

Best Regards,

AJ.

Thanks Ajay. I'll get through it but I've simply got to stop killing hardware hehe

Think I'll relax for a couple days then switch to socket 2011 for a while. Time to eraser the rive and figure out which 3930k is the fastest.

Back