• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DO NOT GET Corsair 6400C4D RAM! *Warning*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CandyKid said:
I'm sorry to hear that, I would've been interested to see somebody put a bit of voltage across these modules (with Promos in them) when they weren't faulty as your's seem to be.

I hope you fare well with your new selection!

PLUR
CK

p.s. Sorry for double-posts, but with two of you it's hard to keep up!

p.p.s. Thanks for the title, but just to cover my rear, I'm unofficial.

Someone tested these chips in the xtremesystems forum i post a link here, and they had very bad results judging by their posts.

I hope more people dont fall for this memory like I did. :)

CandyKid said:
p.p.s. Thanks for the title, but just to cover my rear, I'm unofficial.
Yep. Hence the HoH - Staff part. :)

Well, looks like you may have a few unhappy people over at XS as well. According to the thread the OrionRU linked to, they do not seem to respond well to voltage.

I havnt read any of this thread except the first post but my 2gb of Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 6400 Cas 5-5-5-12 (set to 5-4-4-10) runs awsome with my OC, there at 916mhz as of now, hoping I can get my CPU OC figured out and get them to 1000mhz. But I think the poster was talking about the CAS 4 editions.

OrionRU said:
Basically here's what corsair did:

It made Version 1.1 of Ram with Micron D9's which overclocked great, which reviewers and early custoemrs got reporting back that these are infact D9's.

Then quickly they changed their ram to version 2.2 which have PROMOS IC's, which dont over clock for crap.

I'd like to see the Newegg link stating that you WILL get Micron D9 in the product information
You cannot rely on reviewers and early customers information as being definitive. With that said if they don't perform as ADVERTISED at their rated speed, just RMA them.

I had a set of pc3200 XMS C2PT's that were Promos and responded great with more voltage. Not trying to take sides, just pointing out that Promos aren't that bad. I almost reached a stable CL1 on them. Maybe, just maybe they do need to be RMA'd. I ended up selling them for only $15 less than I paid after 2 years of use. Besides, low timings aren't always gonna show a perf increase. My best benchmarks came at 2.5-4-4-8 even though they were rated for 2-3-2-6. Certainly not a reason to limit yourself by refusing another Corsair product in the future. If one was so worried, one might think about buying Crucial since they are owned by Micron and have the best potential of getting Micron IC's. No flame intended, just a thought. :attn: The real evil is in my sig.

Super Nade said:
^^ DDR1 =! DDR2 :)

There are so many things different here, from PCB's to the IC's themselves. Not a fair comparaision.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just meant that we should give it more time and testing to see how the Corsair/Promos/DDR2 performs before saying no to Corsair "ever again." Maybe Promos has done something different. He did say he just purchased them. Maybe Corsair will rectify it through RMA or something. Maybe the replacements will show, for the better, why Corsair changed to Promos. If he doesn't want them, we can trade. I'd gladly give these crap PNY's with the "ghost" IC's for a set of those Promos Corsairs. Talk about getting burned out of $150 for a gig. Maybe Corsair will get tired of replacing his sticks and just send him back a set with Microns. :beer: 'Tis a shame though, those Corsairs (C4) were the one's I was lookin' at, and like the OP, I can't afford to mess around. I won't now, but I'm not gonna toss Corsair out the window forever either.

*contemplates starting a thread about why not to buy PNY Verto Gamer RAM*

** no, I don't work for Corsair either! **

OrionRU said:
Problem is, the chips listed with promos were added to that thread basically a day or two ago.

Prior to that, all reports said these are D9 chips. People went out to buy the D9 reported ram and got a Promos instead.
The reason they weren't added until recently... is because no one asked about those specific part # / version # / lot # combinations until recently... makes sense IMHO.

OrionRU said:
In anycase, These chips use Promos IC's now and as well all know they are complete and utter crap compared to Micron's IC's.
If you read the whole thread @ XS, you'll see some posts from myself as well as from 2 Corsair employees. Long story short, the 6400C4Ds use BOTH ICs. If you check the last post I made, I highlighted 2 IC listings from the IC Inquiry page @ HoH, and it clearly shows that a Micron pair and a Promos pair were made the same week. TBH, all 4 6400C4Ds on that page are from a 3 week total period.

Side Note:
Super Nade, thanks for bringing this thread to our general attention @ HoH. Also, please hook me up with a user title :)

You last visited: 12-28-04 at 01:55 PM
I created the login, never to appear again! LMFFAO! I have too many damn forum memberships, eheh

Wired-HoH said:
If you read the whole thread @ XS, you'll see some posts from myself as well as from 2 Corsair employees. Long story short, the 6400C4Ds use BOTH ICs. If you check the last post I made, I highlighted 2 IC listings from the IC Inquiry page @ HoH, and it clearly shows that a Micron pair and a Promos pair were made the same week. TBH, all 4 6400C4Ds on that page are from a 3 week total period.

I guess people who pay for same product get different quality...

I got unlucky and got crap that shouldnt be sold for more then 200$...

what that is, is ripping people off. I dont have time to send my ram back to corsair dozens of times in hopes i get a working overclockable sticks.

The fact that they use both IC's doesnt help me any, since its a pure chance of getting earlier revision.

This is a really bad company policy.

I dont buy corsair memory for 2 years now and never will again for various reasons I wont get into here becuase it will just cause a problem.

Those stix D9's or not are a gimmick, stick with the cheapest D9 sticks you can find regardless of brand, when I bought my gskills they were 250 now they are 300 and I tell everyone that asks to get the crucials because they are the best priced stix right now with D9. I would pay 300 for the gskills and crucials before I took corsair products for free.

Wired-HoH said:
** no, I don't work for Corsair either! **

The reason they weren't added until recently... is because no one asked about those specific part # / version # / lot # combinations until recently... makes sense IMHO.
Mate, I'm sorry but this does not make sense to me. All of us enthusiasts applaud and really like the open disclosure policy of Corsair regarding DRAM chips, but this does not look good at all.

I personally do not own any expensive DDR2, but I think all this angst and confusion can be eliminated if you can tell us the difference in average performance between the two IC's. Is this similar to the TCCD-->TCC5 swap in the DDR1 world? Whille TCCD was king of the hill, poor brother TCC5 was nowhere near, unless painstakingly binned.
From what little I have read, Promos comes nowhere close to the Micron D9xx in terms of overclockability.

Nobody is questioning Corsair's testing methodology or their competence in that area, I believe what most of those who bought the parts want to know is,
  • Why are relatively inferior IC's priced the same?
  • Why didn't the company not make any attempt to inform the public. <Simple word of mouth would have worked beautifully> ?
This may very well be a complete misreading of the situation by all those affected or just pure bad luck, but then merely asking people to buy 500 MHz rated kits to be sure won't really help. Many other companies have their Micron D9xx stuff in the same price range, so this would have been even more confusing for consumers. Everybody likes to get moderately priced RAM to overclock very well a la PC3200 TCCD@ PC4800 so.. :)

OrionRU said:
I guess people who pay for same product get different quality...

I got unlucky and got crap that shouldnt be sold for more then 200$...

what that is, is ripping people off. I dont have time to send my ram back to corsair dozens of times in hopes i get a working overclockable sticks.

Please read this in it's entirety, and know I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I understand your disappointed.

With that said, You've been a member here for 3 years and you don't know that the luck of the draw is the way it is, and is the way it has always been with overclocking. Just because Joe buys a stick of X from wherever doesn't mean that if you buy it from there as well your results will be the same.

What I don't understand is you claim they do NOT run at stock, but by your own admission, it seems the real reason your unhappy is they are not as overclock-able as you would like... Am I wrong? I'm not trying to bust your nutz in any way shape or form, I'm just saying nothing is guaranteed over stock, unless you buy pre tested and guaranteed to overclock items. The best way to get known highly overclocking hardware is in places like our for sale section from reliable sellers.

But seriously, after 3 years at this site, you should know that at times your results are the luck of the draw as to what the results you will get with any hardware over stock speeds.:rolleyes:

Your making Corsair out to be selling crap, you claim they are rip off artists etc etc, but I do not think that's the case in any way. Like I said, if they do not run properly at stock speeds as advertised, RMA them, if they don't overclock, sell them and buy some from a seller that can guarantee you what your looking for.

Check the corsair support forums before you buy they list current chips used in there ram modules. Becuase you didn't look doesn't mean you should be complaining, it clearly says what modules they are using.

For those searching challenged heres a linky
http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44365

If you want D9GMH then Buy Team Group or corsair C3 or corsair dominator or gskill HZ.

Last edited:
I disagree. I am an enthusiast. I look for good hardware and others tell me what they got and what they get extracted in speed. I bought CCM2X1024-6400C4D XMS6404v1.1 0645065-1 = Micron, 64Mx8, 2-533 CL4, Rev D and clocked it to over 1000MHz. I bought this because of learning from other enthusiasts here and xtremesystems about how well they clocked.

I was totally impressed with these sticks. So I bought two more sets a month later. They were the same I thought: THEY WERE NOT!! CMX1024-6400C4 6404V2.1 0636063-3 = PROMOS 667MHZ, CL5, 0.09u 64Mx8 and I didn't learn this out until both sets clocked so poorly. I made barely 850Mhz at 5 - 5 - 5 - 15. They did NOT have these chips listed, only the previous. Read the link, they admit it. I went with what they had posted as IC's and what I had previously bought. They changed chips and did NOT update their site.

:bang head :bang head :bang head

We learn from each other. I hope you learn from me. Here's there response:

Corsair Rep said:
By your above quote it seems as if you want memory that will do 1000 Mhz, and are willing to pay for it.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but my advice? Buy memory that IS rated at 1000 Mhz.

Here's the link.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55347

I came here just for this reason. To let you know. By the way - the newer dram cost more than the earlier dram so I had thought that they had to be at least the same. :mad: :bang head

speed bump said:
If you want D9GMH then Buy Team Group or gskill HZ.

WORD UP!!!

Last edited:
speed bump said:
Check the corsair support forums before you buy they list current chips used in there ram modules. Becuase you didn't look doesn't mean you should be complaining, it clearly says what modules they are using.

For those searching challenged heres a linky
http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44365

If you want D9GMH then Buy Team Group or corsair C3 or corsair dominator or gskill HZ.

I agree with buying different ram, but point is those promos modules werent listed there up until a day ago!

Btw, Im not happy because
1. They are promos chips for 315 dollars
2. Because my sticks cant even run at their rated speeds.

OrionRU said:
Btw, Im not happy because

2. Because my sticks cant even run at their rated speeds.

Then your solution is simple, heck, just go to www.usps.com, (you get a free tracking number) pay a dollar or two and get insurance for $315, then print up the $5 or $6 dollar postage on your printer, then select the option for the mailman to pick it up at your home or office, if your pressed for time to RMA this, then this is the cheapest and easiest option for you.

I hope your next memory sticks you get are better overclockers for yah ;)

Super Nade said:
I personally do not own any expensive DDR2, but I think all this angst and confusion can be eliminated if you can tell us the difference in average performance between the two IC's.
Since I've never done any comparisons myself, I can't answer that. According to Apps Lab (http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55347):

Apps Lab @ HoH said:
Actually, the PROMOS stuff can frequently clock to 1000 MHz @ 5-5-5 latencies @ 2.2V. It's decent overclocking memory. That's a 20% gain on the stock speeds, and I think having that kind of headroom is fairly decent.
Note: Before commenting on this quote, people, please read that whole thread leading up to his quote. That way, you have the full context around his statement, it's a fair request

DerekT said:
They changed chips and did NOT update their site.
It's called the IC INQUIRY Thread for a REASON. You have to INQUIRE about your IC in order for it to be LISTED! If it was supposed to be a fullly documented list of every IC they used, don't you think it would be on their website, and not in the forum, and maybe even say that it's a fully documented list of all of their ICs?

Oh, and you really need to stop assuming things. Like for instance, that I work for Corsair. Umm... No. I don't. My first post on this forum (it's in this thread) I SPECIFICALLY stated that I don't work for Corsair. I've said it MULTIPLE places @ HoH. Corsair has stated multiple places around HoH that I don't work for them. Also, all of the Corsair staff there say that they are in their user title in one fashion or another. The only way you'd know that I'm part of the HoH Forum staff is either by reading my sig (which no one ever does), or by reading the forum leader page, which also has a separate area that lists Corsair employees. To Super Nade, Silversinksam, and the rest of the staff here, sorry for that rant :)

OrionRU: If your sticks don't work at the rated timings, like Silversinksam said, RMA them. You can fax, call, e-mail, post on the Corsair forum, or fill out one of two different forms to start the RMA process with Corsair. Link to a summary of the various ways: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52317

AC3421 said:
What the hell is the big freaking debate?? Just dont buy the ones that arnt D9's. Problem solved, and do you're research before you buy parts.
Can't you tell? How can you research it when they sell one module and change modules during the same week without updating the website until they are caught over a month later by xtremesystems.

Please tell me how you would research that?

Back