• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Downvolted Asus R9 270 OC Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Now running my Gigabyte HD6870 on Kalroth as well with these settings:

-X 4 --lookup-gap 2 -w 64 -g 2 --thread-concurrency 4200 --gpu-engine 940 --gpu-memclock 1050 --gpu-fan 80

Gives me 298 khs. That's about 15k less than the older CGMiner setup I was using, but once again Kalroth has made things more stable. I can actually use the office rig at these settings... the old I 18 method might have given me 315 khs, but I had horrible desktop lag.

No lag this way at all. Somewhat tempted to try Kalroth on the rig with the 7770, but I'm actually getting ready to strip that one down and maybe even sell that card. Gotta make room around here for the new dedicated miner.

well cuz I is lower :) could try same with reg cgminer and lower than 18 I ?

I have to go down to I 13 to get rid of the lag on the old CGMiner. That pretty much kneecaps my hashrate on that card.

The 7770 on the other hand is already hashing at its fastest at I 15, and is still very useable, so I don't really think Kalroth is even worth trying with that card.

I have to go down to I 13 to get rid of the lag on the old CGMiner. That pretty much kneecaps my hashrate on that card.

The 7770 on the other hand is already hashing at its fastest at I 15, and is still very useable, so I don't really think Kalroth is even worth trying with that card.

ah i see, well then its def an improvement over i13

Yup. 260-300 is nice, especially when I need to use the machine for load testing power supplies :D

Now running my Gigabyte HD6870 on Kalroth as well with these settings:

-X 4 --lookup-gap 2 -w 64 -g 2 --thread-concurrency 4200 --gpu-engine 940 --gpu-memclock 1050 --gpu-fan 80

Gives me 298 khs. That's about 15k less than the older CGMiner setup I was using, but once again Kalroth has made things more stable. I can actually use the office rig at these settings... the old I 18 method might have given me 315 khs, but I had horrible desktop lag.

No lag this way at all. Somewhat tempted to try Kalroth on the rig with the 7770, but I'm actually getting ready to strip that one down and maybe even sell that card. Gotta make room around here for the new dedicated miner.

Thanks! Still not sure how you figure these settings out man :)
~15 Kh lower as well, but I wonder if these old 68xx series like the regular -I settings?

They like it fine. The whole idea though was to get that rig more useable for things other than mining at the highest hashrate possible. Kalroth FTW there. It's not quite as fast, but far more useful.

That card also randomly likes to throw out dozens of hardware errors and then hash at half speed. Hoping the Kalroth version fixes that, too.

They like it fine. The whole idea though was to get that rig more useable for things other than mining at the highest hashrate possible. Kalroth FTW there. It's not quite as fast, but far more useful.

That card also randomly likes to throw out dozens of hardware errors and then hash at half speed. Hoping the Kalroth version fixes that, too.

Your telling me. My 6850, once it crashes or I load a bad config on it, it's done. needs a whole system reboot. I've noticed that when it dies, it takes my 270x with it :bang head

Incidentally... I can now confirm the Asus 270 does 1150 engine core, even downvolted. Got it doing 500khs right now, running 5 degrees cooler than the 270X at the same settings.

Wow man, I have 8 ASUS R9 270s and I can't get them past 390 each..... then I see this post.. you achieve this undervolting? Wtf. I've been trying to get them stable at 450 for the past 2 days straight and no luck. With the settings you use I get 390 KH/s and if I go higher or lower on the X, it lowers. I got them to 450 each on normal cgminer but the rigs then restart themselves after around 1 hour and sometimes HW errors occur. All 8 can't be bad, I don't understand.. p sure my hair is starting to turn grey from trying to fix these fuark

And on top of that they run mad hot. Around 75-85 degrees on most of them

Yeah, mine ran much hotter before I undervolted it too.

Don't really know enough about how you're running them to make any suggestions. Using powered risers? What PSU?

Best guess I have is that they think they're burning alive and throttling themselves. Mine's at 67 degrees right now.

Don't forget to adjust powertune so they don't throttle as much.

Maybe make a new thread with your specs, 390 is pretty low.

Could also be pure luck of the draw and I got an exceptionally good overclocker. I've only got the one, so it's hard to say.

Going to clock the 270 back down a bit. The card might be able to do it, but there is only so much power you want running through a single PCI-E connector.

I also actually have 8 other XFX R9 270s and those are the ones I'm actually having troubles with the restarts (had them mixed up). I've tried running only 2 cards and one of them always becomes sick / DEAD for some reason. And it's weird because the ASUS rigs don't restart when mining at 450 KH/s. I'm using HX850 80PLUS Golds on all 4 rigs. And yea, I'm using all powered risers

The ASUS cards just run really hot. (All near 85-90) and this is at 100% fans and fans right behind the rigs while the room is like 5 degrees c.

EDIT:
WOW, was monitoring the rigs and two of the ASUS cards were at 100 degrees while running at 430 KH/s. Wtf.

Without undervolting the ASUS cards there's no way I can get over 400 with decent temps. :/

Last edited:
If I had that many of these, I'd downvolt and probably leave them in the 400-430 range, just to keep temps down. In fact, that's the plan if I can find more of these to buy next time I'm buying cards.

After all, these cards don't do much good if they're cooked.

Damn, I downvolted all of the ASUS cards last night to 1.1.. what a difference. HUGE thanks for the heads up man. Hottest card hovers around 78 degrees and lowest around 67 while all of them running at 475 KH/s @ 80% fans. CRAZY. I'm going to be upgrading fans and exhausting+intaking air into the room so it should be cooler temps soon so I'm cool with that.

Now onto trying to fix the XFX rigs

This thread will prove invaluable when the (12) asus 270 cards I have on order finally arrive. Thanks Oak Wolf.

I'll be in touch ;)

Back