• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Downvolted Asus R9 270 OC Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've noticed that sometimes CCC will randomly reset my clocks to default (1180/1400) It almost always happens after I try to change GPU clocks/fans/voltage from within cgminer.

!

So that doesn't just happen to me?!

The 6870 would be the one to be a PITA.
Trust me, I know from experience :p

Moved the Asus 270X to the office rig just now... the 4GB card will be here tomorrow so I wanted room for it in advance. Looks like the 270X and the 6870 are playing nice together. The 270X is appearing as GPU1 despite being in the top slot on the board.

Currently mining Maxcoin at 234+150Mhs. Seems to be doing what it's supposed to there. I'll tangle with other coins as I feel like mining them ;)

The odd thing is the 270X is having no issues driving HDMI with DVI... it had lots of problems with that in the main rig.

Temps - 65 and 60 for the 6870 and 270X respectively. This is in an Antec Twelve Hundred with the side panel fan location being used for the first time ever.

Moved the Asus 270X to the office rig just now... the 4GB card will be here tomorrow so I wanted room for it in advance. Looks like the 270X and the 6870 are playing nice together. The 270X is appearing as GPU1 despite being in the top slot on the board.

Currently mining Maxcoin at 234+150Mhs. Seems to be doing what it's supposed to there. I'll tangle with other coins as I feel like mining them ;)

The odd thing is the 270X is having no issues driving HDMI with DVI... it had lots of problems with that in the main rig.

Temps - 65 and 60 for the 6870 and 270X respectively. This is in an Antec Twelve Hundred with the side panel fan location being used for the first time ever.

Yes same here, 270x is in top slot, but is GPU1. :shrug:

Which sucks, becasue the F@H client only sees the 6850, and it can't fold for some reason....

4GB Sapphire card is here... this card doesn't downvolt. BIOS modded properly, but it's still running at the old voltage according to CGMiner and CPU-Z. Kind of wish I'd gone for the Gigabyte 4GB as a result, but I'll live with the higher temps. It's at 73 right now.

Edit - I take that back - it's responding to voltage changes in CGMiner now. At 1.150V, 70 degrees.

Last edited:
4GB Sapphire card is here... this card doesn't downvolt. BIOS modded properly, but it's still running at the old voltage according to CGMiner and CPU-Z. Kind of wish I'd gone for the Gigabyte 4GB as a result, but I'll live with the higher temps. It's at 73 right now.

Edit - I take that back - it's responding to voltage changes in CGMiner now. At 1.150V, 70 degrees.

:thup:

Hmmmm. 1.175 volts seems a bit high to me now!
Might be time for a BIOS mod voltage lowering...
(Hopefully I don't muck this up :p )

Are you using VBE07?

So far, 1.15V seems to be a good tradeoff for the 270X cards. My Asus model has lost its ability to OC to 1200, but that's not all that useful for mining anyway I figure. I'd rather have cooler temps, less power draw, and longer life. It still does 1150 engine.

The Sapphire is below 70 degrees now - gotta love that.

I'm on LTC now until tomorrow. Had just under 1 LTC... would like to hold a bit more than that ;)

So far, 1.15V seems to be a good tradeoff for the 270X cards. My Asus model has lost its ability to OC to 1200, but that's not all that useful for mining anyway I figure. I'd rather have cooler temps, less power draw, and longer life. It still does 1150 engine.

The Sapphire is below 70 degrees now - gotta love that.

I'm on LTC now until tomorrow. Had just under 1 LTC... would like to hold a bit more than that ;)

Yes. 69C mining VTC.

Also, oddly enough, 1120 Mhz Core is the sweet spot for VTC. 236 Kh :) (1500 Mhz Memory like usual)

So that's less heat and some power savings too.

No matter what I do VTC gives me HW errors, or stupid low hashrate. Even if I put nothing but address, user and pass in the .bat >< Coins just not for me. Be a PITA to game and mine, have to fix my clocks each time to use Silver's suggested clocks. Either downclock every time I mine, or put it in the config/bat and put my core clock back up to default after I'm done mining..

No matter what I do VTC gives me HW errors, or stupid low hashrate. Even if I put nothing but address, user and pass in the .bat >< Coins just not for me. Be a PITA to game and mine, have to fix my clocks each time to use Silver's suggested clocks. Either downclock every time I mine, or put it in the config/bat and put my core clock back up to default after I'm done mining..

Runs perfect every time :)

--lookup-gap 2 --shaders 1280 --thread-concurrency 6336 -w 256 -g 2 --gpu-engine 1120 --rawintensity 5120

1120 Mhz core, 1500 Mhz mem @ 1.15 volts. = 236 Kh, ~90 Kh while playing Minecraft

I game play Minecraft @ ~50 FPS and mine VTC with those settings.

Oh, to use those settings, you need Vertikev miner

Here are my VTC settings for the 270s using SGMiner:

--kernel psw --nfactor 11 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 6400 --xintensity 4 -g 2 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-engine 1080 --gpu-memclock 1500 --gpu-fan 80 --temp-target 80 --temp-cutoff 90

Gives me about 230-240khs. Haven't really found any faster settings yet.

Here are my VTC settings for the 270s using SGMiner:

--kernel psw --nfactor 11 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 6400 --xintensity 4 -g 2 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-engine 1080 --gpu-memclock 1500 --gpu-fan 80 --temp-target 80 --temp-cutoff 90

Gives me about 230-240khs. Haven't really found any faster settings yet.

Nice!

A shame sgminer hates my 6850. :(
It can't "compile" on it so it quits even though for a split second it mines on the 270x. :bang head

Sgminer will only work if I disable my 6850 in device manager :bang head

Back at default voltage on the Sapphire - the display driver was resetting way too often. Not sure if that's the lower voltage or not, because the main rig was doing that with the Asus cards too, though not as frequently.

Wonder if the newer beta drivers would finally stabilize that system. The Asus 270X is working way better in the office than it ever did in the main rig. But those systems both use the same drivers...

Back at default voltage on the Sapphire - the display driver was resetting way too often. Not sure if that's the lower voltage or not, because the main rig was doing that with the Asus cards too, though not as frequently.

Wonder if the newer beta drivers would finally stabilize that system. The Asus 270X is working way better in the office than it ever did in the main rig. But those systems both use the same drivers...

Really? at 1150 mV?

My 270X is working better but it's still acting weird. Sometimes driver is resetting no matter what settings I use. sometimes it's running stable at ~480 kh/s but the next day it can drop to ~430 kh/s and stays there till I restart miner.
In the last night PC just restarted due to some gfx card/driver error. At the moment this card runs at 1000MHz core , 1.1V , 1450MHz memory.

My 270X is working better but it's still acting weird. Sometimes driver is resetting no matter what settings I use. sometimes it's running stable at ~480 kh/s but the next day it can drop to ~430 kh/s and stays there till I restart miner.
In the last night PC just restarted due to some gfx card/driver error. At the moment this card runs at 1000MHz core , 1.1V , 1450MHz memory.

Might need a tad more voltage. Try 1.12 or 1.13 volts.

The Sapphire went all night on the factory BIOS mining LTC with no issues. Guess this one's not much of an overclocker/undervolter.

Switching to Vertcoin for the rest of the week.

The Sapphire went all night on the factory BIOS mining LTC with no issues. Guess this one's not much of an overclocker/undervolter.

Switching to Vertcoin for the rest of the week.

I have not tried other coins with the 1.15 volts on my Sapphire 270x, but it's rock solid mining VTC. I suspect VTC's algo is not as intense on the cards like standard scrypt is.

Back