• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Downvolted Asus R9 270 OC Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1080 and 1485 - mining Vertcoin. Haven't really tried overclocking yet.

I'm more interested in stability and low temps on this card than getting the best performance now.

Ahh okay.
I min at 1150 core 1500 mem @ 1.175 volts.
Rarely if ever, I'll OC to 1180 core on the same voltage.

Sorry if I missed it, but what Kh on VTC does the 270x get at those clocks?

230kh/s right now with SGMiner, PSW core. I've seen it higher but this isn't bad.

Def gotta look into that Woomack. Just got mine back from RMA...

1150 core, 1500 mem.. 13.12 catalyst kalroth cgminer

Code:
del *.bin
cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://mine.coinshift.com:3333 -u 1Gi3MdL7pVzwCE5VG9eATCj17iSGv9uG6i -p x --thread-concurrency 8193 -w 256 -X 4 -g 2 --no-submit-stale

Thanks, I will probably put my card on some other rig during the weekend and check it again on fresh system etc. Will back later with some results.

@Luke1978 , your settings are working pretty good but only with overclocked card. Actually I can set lower core clock and it doesn't change much. My memory can't run @1500MHz , max is ~1450MHz what gives me ~480 kh/s.
What is weird, the same settings at stock clocks give me ~350kh/s, big difference for not so much higher memory clock.

So now it looks like 1100 core , 1450 memory , core voltage lowered to 1.1V and 480-485 kh/s. So far it's working for about 4h without errors.

@Luke1978 , your settings are working pretty good but only with overclocked card. Actually I can set lower core clock and it doesn't change much. My memory can't run @1500MHz , max is ~1450MHz what gives me ~480 kh/s.
What is weird, the same settings at stock clocks give me ~350kh/s, big difference for not so much higher memory clock.

So now it looks like 1100 core , 1450 memory , core voltage lowered to 1.1V and 480-485 kh/s. So far it's working for about 4h without errors.

Good step in the right direction! So far for me, the memory speed has had a much more dramatic effect. The 1150 core is my "non-boost" core speed, It will mine @ 1225 core, but I don't think the extra kh/s are worth it. 480 is above expectations for a 270 series card.

480 Kh is the most I've seen out of a 270.
You might get more Kh if you can run the core a bit more, but 480 is pretty much the tops I think.

Nice work! :thup:

480 Kh is the most I've seen out of a 270.
You might get more Kh if you can run the core a bit more, but 480 is pretty much the tops I think.

Nice work! :thup:

No matter if I set 1100 or 1200MHz on core I get about the same results, +/- 5kh/s.
I see 500kh/s when I set memory higher at about 1500MHz but it crashes pretty quick.

No matter if I set 1100 or 1200MHz on core I get about the same results, +/- 5kh/s.
I see 500kh/s when I set memory higher at about 1500MHz but it crashes pretty quick.

Are you able to give the memory more voltage?

try this miner: http://k-dev.net/cgminer/

then try the following settings, bare with me ;)

xintensity 4 (yes no intensity setting, xintensity replaces it)
gpu-threads 2
thread-concurrency 8193

I noticed that cards up to the 7 series work great with the older cgminer, but 7 series and up are a bit twitchy, prolly bc cgminer's old approach is more brute force

try this miner: http://k-dev.net/cgminer/

then try the following settings, bare with me ;)

xintensity 4 (yes no intensity setting, xintensity replaces it)
gpu-threads 2
thread-concurrency 8193

I noticed that cards up to the 7 series work great with the older cgminer, but 7 series and up are a bit twitchy, prolly bc cgminer's old approach is more brute force

He is using those settings ;)

EDIT: Raw intensity would be the next step to get more Kh, but I'm just getting the hang of using raw intensity :p

lol sorry, must have missed the transition :)

;)

Yeah, other than raw intensity and getting it stable @ 1500 Mhz mem, he's at it's limits.

Watch me curse myself:

My downvolted Asus 270X is so far now the most stable it's ever been. It's still running within one degree of the Asus 270. Currently both cards are doing 233khs each on Vertcoin.

In a couple days when my 4GB 270X shows up, it'll be moving to the office rig and joining my HD6870. Hope I can get them to play nice together.

Last edited:
Watch me curse myself:

My downvolted Asus 270X is so far now the most stable it's ever been. It's still running within one degree of the Asus 270. Currently both cards are doing 233khs each on Vertcoin.

In a couple days when my 4GB 270X shows up, it'll be moving to the office rig and joining my HD6870. Hope I can get them to play nice together.

The 6870 would be the one to be a PITA.
Trust me, I know from experience :p

Nice Kh for VTC, 220 is what I get.

There is no option to raise memory voltage in my card and I don't want to change much in this card as maybe I will sell it. It also has warranty sticker and I actually care about warranty when it's mining :-/

I was checking lower clocks and at 1000MHz core / 1450 memory it still makes ~475 kh/s. What is weird, sometimes when I run cgminer I have lower hash rate like 350. Then I have to restart pc and it back to normal speed. It's not after driver crash or something. Also sometimes desktop/window manager stops and restarts.
I have no option to lower core voltage below 1.1V. I didn't try other soft than ASUS so far.
I thought that I will be able to close this rig in a smaller case but temps are going up too much and it gets loud. I have to figure out how to make it quiet.

There is no option to raise memory voltage in my card and I don't want to change much in this card as maybe I will sell it. It also has warranty sticker and I actually care about warranty when it's mining :-/

I was checking lower clocks and at 1000MHz core / 1450 memory it still makes ~475 kh/s. What is weird, sometimes when I run cgminer I have lower hash rate like 350. Then I have to restart pc and it back to normal speed. It's not after driver crash or something. Also sometimes desktop/window manager stops and restarts.
I have no option to lower core voltage below 1.1V. I didn't try other soft than ASUS so far.
I thought that I will be able to close this rig in a smaller case but temps are going up too much and it gets loud. I have to figure out how to make it quiet.

Yeah, I have that low Kh thing too :-/ Restart fixes everything :p

For voltage lower than 1.1 Volts, you'll have to BIOS mod.
Might kill the warranty though.

I hope not though, I had my original BIOS modded to use less voltage. Not sure how Sapphire is for warranty..

I've noticed that sometimes CCC will randomly reset my clocks to default (1180/1400) It almost always happens after I try to change GPU clocks/fans/voltage from within cgminer.

Back