• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EP45-UD3P Blew Up...Need Suggestions on Possible LGA1156/1336 Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
even though you have the money, since it looks like you dont plan to ever use multi gpu's go LGA1156. i would really suggest waiting for the new steppings as posted in the intel cpu section. if your part of the FAH/SETi/rosie team then i would beg ya to get the LGA1366 setup with a 920. the new steppings unles they dropped off are ocing much nicers then first steppings. i would still stick with a low voltage dual kit on LGA1366 as well, just me. i wanted to switch from 3x1gig to a 2x2gig but i need a job first. main thing is by using the 3rd channel there is a latency hit vs dual channel. there is right now for US not any advantage to tri-channel.

Last edited:
The new steppings sound nice, especially that 875K. I really need a computer soon for AutoCAD, so I can't wait til they're released. So, get a cheap i3 or something to hold me over? I won't be able to do a BIOS update for i3 either, so the P55 mobo will have to support them natively.

I just spent some time reading about 5 reviews on dual vs triple channel and you're right, there's basically 0 improvement for triple over dual channel. Dual channel seems the way to go whether 1156 or 1366, PLUS I can get higher speed, lower latency dual channel than triple channel.

Even more to think about and consider...lol

P55 will be able to support the new i3/i5 dual cores. if you buy from newegg they should have new stock with new bios's for them to be supported. new i3's arent that bad but not much better then core 2 at the moment.

1366 tended to cost more because there's more work in designing and more circuitry to handle tri-channel RAM. And if you're picky, 3x RAM sticks is about 50% more than 2x RAM sticks for dual only board.

So unless you plan to get the hex core anytime soon, or want quad cores with hyperhtreading for 8 virtual cores (like 920), stick with 1156 you'll save more. i5 750 is a very decent quad core CPU that overclocks well and at slightly lower power than i7's

P55 will be able to support the new i3/i5 dual cores. if you buy from newegg they should have new stock with new bios's for them to be supported. new i3's arent that bad but not much better then core 2 at the moment.

I'd hate to get an i3 and a P55 mobo that needs a BIOS update. Hopefully NewEgg has stock with recent BIOS versions. The i3 would just be a placeholder until the new steppings.

1366 tended to cost more because there's more work in designing and more circuitry to handle tri-channel RAM. And if you're picky, 3x RAM sticks is about 50% more than 2x RAM sticks for dual only board.

So unless you plan to get the hex core anytime soon, or want quad cores with hyperhtreading for 8 virtual cores (like 920), stick with 1156 you'll save more. i5 750 is a very decent quad core CPU that overclocks well and at slightly lower power than i7's

No hex for me :rain:

If I go 1156, I'll want to see what the new steppings have to offer. So, unless I found a REALLY good deal on a i5 750, I'll just go i3 for the time being. I'll get to play with it for a few months at least :D

Back