• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Prototype of internally cooled Hard Drive!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
even if it craps out put it in your case where you can see it in the window just for effect.

nice work.

Um... thats rediculous. I wonder how efficient that is though? I dunno how much heat would actually transfer wth such a low amount of convection. But a sweet mod none the less.

that is awesome! good to see something new in the alt modding :) keep up the good work

thats definately different,but I like it though! I think I would of connected the pipe or tubing to the lid and bottom of the case.whats to keep the copper from hitting the platter?.........tr

what about condensation... with the hot drive and the cool copper, and after being opened to the air i would think condensation could be an issue.

other than that WOW that's a cool mod

Digital

Okay.. now that I see the pics.. thats pretty cool! I was expecting something else, such as the watercooling hdd mistake that someone else did, but that actually looks like it could work.. :)

Turando said:
cheers;) will take more pics when i have a bit of time on my hands;) this is pending a patent so hopefully noone can produce this kind of mod;)

Cheers, Turando

That is a way cool mod, although i don't think it will make it run "much" cooler becasue the copper isn't actually making any contact.

A patent? A real one? Good luck with the fees it takes to do it right (including a lawyer). What happened to doing it for fun? Anyway you can put patent on it but people can still build anything they want in there own home, they just can't sell it.

Yeah, I agree it won't cool a whole lot and there is a condensation risk, but you are still THE WINNAR for the coolest mod I've seen in a LONG time.

Good job, I remeber a while ago, saying it couldn't be done. It my not be efficient or even cool at all, but you did do it.

This is the closest I've seen so far before this:
ex-blc-05_2.jpg

If room permits, and you are up to it, the second go around, you may want to make a small radiator type thing instead of the copper pipes, and put a very small fan inside to circulate air. The fan may screw with the head though since there is a ton of air pressure under that.

"about the patent, i dont think you can get one if you have shown it off." where did you get that idea from? anything can be patented whatever you do with it.

but this does cool the drive, im a bit short of time at the mo, will answer all q's 2moro, i promise;);)

Cheers, Turando

-Draws breath through teeth sharply-

I want one! That is one sweeeet mod you have there!

How about some purty LEDs in the HDD that flash when the HDD is acessed? That would look GOOD! (And it shouldn't be too hard to pull off, either)

I am impressed by the effects of running a copper pipe close to a magnetic disk still concern me, even if the pipe has been treated.. also if the pipe touches the alluminium hard disk at any point there will be a chemical reaction as copper + alluminium + water = trouble for a water cooling system.
Personally I would look at changing the pipe material.. but it is a cool idea

Would plastic tubing have a worse effect on cooling? Or would it just flop about and touch the disc.

Having said that, this is a prototype after all :cool:

BTW, UnseenMenace, I like your 'location' :D

in question about how the copper is mounted, i used the exact same size drill bit as the copper pipe, and its held with JB weld around the joints, so its suspeded about 0.3 of a cm above the plater

dyzio: did kill a few by the looks of things, as cannot get a full
partition, and there are about 2,000 bad sectors, which isnt really that many.;)

UnseenMenace: the piping is not what i am going to use, but was really a test to check for what materials i could use, and it seemed the easiest way.

iamthegreatest: i dont think any type of tubing apart from finned would work all that great, but as you say, its a prototype:)

also, BIG thanks to everybody who likes my ongoing mods, and im glad people appreciate them, and about the patent, this is NOT to stop any of you using my ideas, but i would rather me make nothing out of it than a big company make millions;)

Cheers, Turando

Back