• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General GPU question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palee72

I just got my system up and running. I'm currently using the Vega 11 Graphics on my Ryzen 5 3400G. I'm not impressed. I'm not even playing current games at the moment and it's worse than my last system was, which was nearly 10 years old. Games like Portal and Duke Nukem Forever have to be turned way down, and even then they are barely playable. Very jerky, slow to respond, and visuals are basically horrible..

2 questions:

1. Am I missing something in my setup that should make it play better?

2. Can you recommend a GPU that won't break the bank, that will be better than what I currently have?

Thanks

What was your old system?

Is this a fresh OS install?

Drivers properly updated across the board?

Is something throttling because of temp or power?

It's a fresh install, and after posting I ran through a benchmark program and noticed that the display driver came up as "generic Microsoft", which made me realize I never updated the drivers. After doing so, it is much more playable now. By no means the fastest system, but doable bor now.

As for my old system, I couldn't tell you.. I built it nearly 10 years ago and it crapped out about 3-4 years ago (video card fan died and it cooked, used on board graphics after as just a workstation, then mobo just quit posting one day) I've been on a basic laptop since.

I finally decided to guild something for myself.

However, I'm still interested in upgrading to a better graphics card in the near future, and would like something with a little more horsepower than what I currently have. I've been out of the system building for so long, I have no idea what's current/quality. Not looking to break the bank though. The system I built only ran me around $450..not planning on doubling that with a single card.

Thanks or your input! I just need to get back into the swing of things again.

Yeah, you cant get anything that isnt inflated. Maybe if a friend wants to hand down something at a reasonable price... there really aint good ideas atm. Every mining card is bought up for mining then gamers settle for whats left so everythings inflated, especially for a new time buyer. If you had something remotely current you would also sell it at inflated price and just pay the (about) usual difference.

I would keep an eye out for preowned 3GB Nvidia cards. While the GPU shortage is caused by many factors one of those factors is mining. Currently you can mine effectively with something 4GB or less. But even without taking mining into account supplies are very low and getting lower and demand is high. So, a 3GB card may still cost a pretty penny.

Just a quick example and looksee. My Radeon R9 270 is better than your 3400G. That saddens me because I was thinking of a small cheap build using that or similar chip.

Good luck and check our for sale forums often.

Thanks all for the advice. Now that I figured out my issue (drivers), I don't have an immediate need for a card. But looking for one for future purchase (hopefully prices start dropping sometime around spring/summer).

Back