• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 580 3xSLI vs newer GPU's SLI/CrossFire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ranger1230

My current system has 3x GTX 580's running SLI and I'm wondering if there is a site I can go to to see how it compares to newer graphics cards running SLI/CrossFire? I'm mostly just curious since the 580 is quite a few generations old and would like to know how my system compares to other systems using newer cards.

Your 580's are not few gen behind, just 1 gen behind :)

You run 2560x1440 or multi monitor ?

What's the rest of your system? What resolution are you running?

The only way I'd see a benefit is if you're running 1.5GB models on 3x1080p+ screens, and you'd need the extra VRAM from newer cards. If you're running 3GB models though, this comment is invalid.

Your 580's aren't old by any means, and are still great cards, if not power hogs. If they're running everything you throw at them fine, I'd hold out probably another 2 gens (800 series) personally. And upgrade other things first, (Depending on your CPU/Board, do you have an SSD? Do you care about sound quality? What kind of audio setup? Would you wanna spend some money in that area, etc).

What's the rest of your system? What resolution are you running?

The only way I'd see a benefit is if you're running 1.5GB models on 3x1080p+ screens, and you'd need the extra VRAM from newer cards. If you're running 3GB models though, this comment is invalid.

Your 580's aren't old by any means, and are still great cards, if not power hogs. If they're running everything you throw at them fine, I'd hold out probably another 2 gens (800 series) personally. And upgrade other things first, (Depending on your CPU/Board, do you have an SSD? Do you care about sound quality? What kind of audio setup? Would you wanna spend some money in that area, etc).

The rest of my system is:
CPU: i7 950
RAM: 12 GB (Forgot the brand) 1333
MB: Asus P6X58D-E
PS: Corsair AX1200
GPU: 3x GTX 580 (Stock speed)
Monitors: I have 3x acer 1920x1080 monitors doing the 3 monitor surround

Currently the only game I notice my system struggle with is the new Tomb Raider game but Nvidia said that they are working at optimizing the drivers so hopefully that will be fixed soon. other then that I haven't found a game I cannot run at max settings.

^Keep them until AMD/nVidia next gen GPU's are launched.

3x580 roughly equals 2x7970's/680's, which is exactly what you need to max out anyting with your surround setup.

Back