• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help thiddy build a computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I hate bumping my thread relentlessly, but does anyone else have feedback on Gigabyte? Specifically on the BIOS layout/usage and support experience? I know they have had good quality boards, but I'm not sure how it compares to Asus. This will literally be my first non-Asus board since my Abit IP35 Pro, so I'm reasonably cautious about switching vendors.

Last edited:
The i5 2500k, 32gb RAM, and my Corsair HX650w arrived today.

ram_and_proc.JPG

corsair.JPG

Looking at my list, I only need a motherboard, video card, audio card, and case. Suggestions?

Motherboards are difficult.
Whether Gigabbyte has "got their **** together" I do not know.
I would feel comfortable with the Gigabyte, but I do not Know.

Generally Gigabyte boards come with better on board audio than most. The boards with the 889 or 998? chipsets are very good.
Also generally there is a debate as to which has the the best drivers Asus Xonar or Sound Blaster. Let your budget be your guide.
If you are using an optical out there is not much difference. Beyond that needs and desires are needed for specifics.
There is an Asus board that includes an onboard sound card. Expensive.
Behringer UCA202 is a pretty good external (usb plug in) sound alternative (about $40).

Read the reviews on the GTX 680, pick the quietest, or the first found available.
If dissatisfied it looks like scarcity should support the value for a month or so anyway.

Lower cards are in price flux, HD 7750, 6870, 7850, 7870, GTX560 448 Ti, all are strong performers, desirability depends on price and preference.

Cases, its always a struggle matching appearance and internal performance.

BitFenix Survivor or Shinobi appeal to me.
Or: newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139012

Last edited:
Motherboards are difficult.
Whether Gigabbyte has "got their **** together" I do not know.
I would feel comfortable with the Gigabyte, but I do not Know.
This is the feel I'm getting, as well. If they have good boards, I'm not against trying it out. With the lack of direct feedback, I think I'm going to just have to take a chance and buy it. I want to order something this weekend.

Generally Gigabyte boards come with better on board audio than most. The boards with the 889 or 998? chipsets are very good.
Also generally there is a debate as to which has the the best drivers Asus Xonar or Sound Blaster. Let your budget be your guide.
I could always try the onboard, but I'm pretty picky. I don't mind dropping a little extra for features or better quality. The Xonar Essence is a bit on the high side, but I might be able to get it for cheaper.

If you are using an optical out there is not much difference. Beyond that needs and desires are needed for specifics.
I used my Prelude's 3.5mm headphone jack to two RCA connectors, which hooks to a Onkyo amplifier, which powers two Polk Audio Monitor 40 Series II and a Polk Audio PSW505. I'm currently using my phone to listen to music, since my main system is torn apart, and the quality is starting to annoy me.

Behringer UCA202 is a pretty good external (usb plug in) sound alternative (about $40).
I don't like anything sound related on USB. I've always had very bad experiences with it.

Read the reviews on the GTX 680, pick the quietest, or the first found available.
If dissatisfied it looks like scarsity should support the value for a month or so anyway.
While price isn't an issue with this build, I'd rather not spend $450+ on a card that I'll rarely use. Remember that I'm going to be Linux most of the time and it will be powering a window manager, and that is pretty much it. I'll probably check out the "lower end" cards you suggested.

Cases, its always a struggle matching appearance and internal performance.
Tell me about it. :(

I'm still eyeing that Lian Li I linked earlier and I'm seriously contemplating getting it.

Thanks for your input.

newegg has http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121558R an Asus open box HD 7750 for $80.99.

I would probably spend $120-150 or so for a GTX 550 ti or an HD 7770, but then I am not spending my own money. Obviously I find the ASUS a tempting low budget gamble.

The Behringer recommendation comes from Oklahoma Wolf on jonnyguru website. He use the Behringer for his home system, part of discussion after he reviewed Corsair SP2500 self powered speakers. Oklahoma Wolf is using the the Behringer providing input for his home theater including his "home assembled" floor to ceiling wall attached folded horns. These are apparently a more convenient size take on the Klipshorn.

Oh my. Klipshorn dates back to MONO days (1930s? design, plans were available!), around 1980 I seem to remember them running about $2200 a pair if you looked hard and had the space and architectural integrity, 15 inch woofers in a folded horn,lol. Could be home built for half that. A buddies parents had been audiophiles and had one in a mono tube rig. Impressive.
Current listing on internet is $4500 each discounted. Lord that makes me feel old. $9,000 for a pair of speakers. Not sure these are the original Corner Horn even

Ah well you can try the Behringer from Amazon if you like, free returns I think, if you are interested. jonnyguru site is also a great place to visit and the forum gets interesting time to time.

Last edited:
That card looks good performance wise, but I would need two DVI connections. That is, unless I used on-board video, which is certainly an option, I completely forgot to mention -- I'm running two monitors. I'd rather not use converters as it adds an extra failure point.

The other concern I have is it being an ATI/AMD card. I have no idea how these do in Linux now, so I'd prefer nVidia simply based on the fact that I have much more experience with installing everything. I'll probably keep an eye on the classifieds here to see what is being offered. The new cards are way more power than I need.

EDIT: And look at that, there are a TON in there. I think I'll just nab one of them.

I could always try the onboard, but I'm pretty picky. I don't mind dropping a little extra for features or better quality. The Xonar Essence is a bit on the high side, but I might be able to get it for cheaper.

I used my Prelude's 3.5mm headphone jack to two RCA connectors, which hooks to a Onkyo amplifier, which powers two Polk Audio Monitor 40 Series II and a Polk Audio PSW505. I'm currently using my phone to listen to music, since my main system is torn apart, and the quality is starting to annoy me.

I don't like anything sound related on USB. I've always had very bad experiences with it.

I'm a "moderate" audiophile. Been through a few different receivers, currently using a denon receiver with alesis monitors and a velodyne DPS 12 sub. prob 2-3000 worth of audio equipment. So I've always been using $100+ sound cards. Recently switched to onboard audio (also tried the hdmi audio on my gtx 570) and didnt notice a huge difference in sound quality. As long as the sound is digital (which your current setup is not), you won't notice a difference. You need to switch from your 3.5mm to a digital connector, you could even do it with your current setup probably. the 3.5mm can probably plug into the spdif channel and then using the "left" RCA plug to hook up to the digital coax input on the receiver you'll get spdif/Pcm sound. Through the single wire.

While price isn't an issue with this build, I'd rather not spend $450+ on a card that I'll rarely use. Remember that I'm going to be Linux most of the time and it will be powering a window manager, and that is pretty much it. I'll probably check out the "lower end" cards you suggested.

Don't **** yourself on the video card. At LEAST get a 570 or something. Amazing linux games come out every day and I know you play wow and skyrim. Get something that will last you a while.

I'm still eyeing that Lian Li I linked earlier and I'm seriously contemplating.

Do you like the silverstone raven in my sig ?

Good advice. You certainly have a lot more into audio equipment than I do. I don't claim to be an audiophile of any sorts, but I can pick out defects in sound and it drives me crazy having to listen through it. For example, when using my laptop as an audio source (since my main system is down), there is a slight buzz in the background. I noticed it during a song and didn't think anything of it until another song did it. I paused the song, and I could hear the buzzing. Turned the output down on the laptop, still there. Unplugged the cable and it immediately stopped. I won't be able to use my laptop as a source now and I will forever hear it. Using my phone is better, but still bad. I can hear the audio clipping. :-/

I'll go with your advice and try on-board analog/digital to see how well it works. If it doesn't drive me crazy after a few weeks, I'll probably sell off my Prelude. The "crashes" it has in Windows (it dumps very loud buzzing to the amp) is incredibly annoying and is eventually going to set off a panic attack (seriously). In Linux, it is absolutely perfect, which is the part the bugs me. Stupid Windows drivers...

Don't **** yourself on the video card. At LEAST get a 570 or something. Amazing linux games come out every day and I know you play wow and skyrim. Get something that will last you a while.
Well, that is the part where I'm still on the fence. I could always buy/sell later on, but I don't like hardware changes (I like my uptime, you see). In the past, you are correct, I've played the heck out of Skyrim and put an insane number of hours into WoW. I haven't played a single game in weeks, even before my main system when down. I've had no "want" to play games, except in rare circumstances (picked up Saints Row 3 and have had fun with that before I decided to rip the desktop apart). I'll be playing Diablo III when it comes out, but I'm not sure for how long. I will play the living hell out of Borderlands 2 when it comes back, though. That is the one I'm looking forward to the most, by far. I played Rift for a few months and had fun, but I just canceled my account a few days ago. I don't know if it me "growing up", having my priorities changing, or wanting to be focused on school, but I just don't want to play games -- and it feels weird. Haven't even turned my XBox on in over a month and I love Forza something fierce.

Do you like the silverstone raven in my sig ?
External cable management looks to be annoying since everything comes out the top. The case looks good overall. I'm not sure how well wire management would be in that case, just from looking at it. The only problem I see is that for Raven money, I could own a Lian Li.

Speaking of audiophile stuff, I'm going to need to replace my Onkyo receiver pretty soon. The right channel cuts out frequently and I have to rap the top of the receiver to get the channel fully back. I take this as a sign of failure, but I have no idea where to even start looking. I don't need a lot of power, I'm just powering two Polk Audio Monitor 40 Series II speakers. I do use my current unit for HDMI video switching, but I could honestly do without it as I only have one HDMI device (XBox). Suggestions? Not looking to spend more than a few hundred.

I don't know if it me "growing up", having my priorities changing, or wanting to be focused on school, but I just don't want to play games -- and it feels weird.

Yea man game playing comes and goes in phases. My fiance stopped playing rift with me so I quit playing games altogether for a few months and bought a bunch of crap I didn't need from cw823 and newegg and now I have an awesome server. And I know a lot of political talking points from watching youtube videos while stuff patches haha

Now I'm playing at least 5 different games on a regular basis and I only have an hour or two of free time each day. It's hard to rotate them. I'm sure I'll get sick of it and quit and do something in real life for a while. But then I'll be playing the next CitiesXL or whatever in the future :p

Also heres the pics from my raven build. Wires coming out of the top isn't nearly as bad as you think. They just all come out of a tiny hole instead of all over the back of the case. Wire management inside the case is amazing. First set of pics is when i first set it up, second set of pics is kinda how it looks now.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691238

Denon AVR-1612 is fantastic. Having an hdmi compatible monitor or tv to plug in while you set it up is a definite plus. Also a microphone to help you position the speakers

Edit: Dont use audyssey, calibrate it yourself

Two monitors could be powered by one DVI to DVI cable and one HDMI to DVI cable.
I use one for a TV.

Video cards are a whirlpool ..

Last edited:
Denon AVR-1612 is fantastic. Having an hdmi compatible monitor or tv to plug in while you set it up is a definite plus. Also a microphone to help you position the speakers

Edit: Dont use audyssey, calibrate it yourself
Good suggestion on the receiver, I think that is what I might go with.

\dev\goad said:
Also heres the pics from my raven build. Wires coming out of the top isn't nearly as bad as you think. They just all come out of a tiny hole instead of all over the back of the case. Wire management inside the case is amazing. First set of pics is when i first set it up, second set of pics is kinda how it looks now.
I still come back to the "I'm in Lian Li equivalent money" mindset. Since I keep "wanting" it, I might as well just quit thinking about it and do it. So, I'll order the Lian Li v1000.

I'm already looking at the V1020B, which is the updated and USB 3.0 version.

Actually I thought you would find the montage amusing.
The 1020B does look "all there", n'est pa? Good building.
Please Keep us informed of what meets expectations.

Will do, I'll probably get it ordered later today along with the motherboard and SSD. I'm trying to decide between the 120gb and 240gb Intel 520 SSD.

Back