• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help thiddy build a computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think that is a bit more power than I need. :eh?:

EDIT: If that was a joke, I couldn't tell.

Gotcha, didn't look into it further than the Newegg link.

I'll have to check out some reviews as to what these cards are capable of. I'm going to probably buy something second hand from the forums here. Is there a big difference between the 4xx and 5xx series?

That is actually a pretty sizable difference, thanks for the pictures. I can't easily search for stuff like that at work. :(

I'll probably go with a 5xx series.

hhhmmmm ... i still would give my right testicle for a silverstone temjin tj07 ... my biggest beef w/ the lian-li's is putting the ports on top is a REALLY bad idea :sly: ... at least for me :-/ ... i live in a very dusty region to begin with ... and i'm not the most astute house keeper either :rolleyes: ... so i tend to shy away from cases w/ anything mounted on top ... as for the usb3.0 ... i'm sure there a number of folks in this forum that would be more than happy to provide you with modding help and suggestions to change out usb2.0 to usb3.0 on any case you choose ... i know of 1 company that even makes custom cables and connectors that you could have it professionally done if you choose that route

as far as gigabyte mb's go ... i've used a number of them in the past ... i did'nt really have issue with the bios or the boards for the most part ... what i did have issue w/ is their customer service being slow and unresponsive (non-tech issue) ... that may have changed ... the boards that i got the best value and performance from were the asrocks, made by none other than asus ... but considerably cheaper in cost, not quality, the asrock z77 at newegg runs 150ish vs the asus z77 at 240ish :shrug: (man that thing is sexy tho ... i can just see it sittin inside a tj07 ... :drool: ... :cool:...)

Last edited:
I'm running the Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 in my HTPC. No issues at all to report. If you want some BIOS snapshots I can get you some.

hhhmmmm ... i still would give my right testicle for a silverstone temjin tj07 ... my biggest beef w/ the lian-li's is putting the ports on top is a REALLY bad idea :sly: ... at least for me :-/ ... i live in a very dusty region to begin with ... and i'm not the most astute house keeper either :rolleyes: ... so i tend to shy away from cases w/ anything mounted on top ... as for the usb3.0 ... i'm sure there a number of folks in this forum that would be more than happy to provide you with modding help and suggestions to change out usb2.0 to usb3.0 on any case you choose ... i know of 1 company that even makes custom cables and connectors that you could have it professionally done if you choose that route
There are various design issues with the TJ07 that I don't care for. I've already ordered the V1020B, but that post was on the previous page.

I'm running the Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 in my HTPC. No issues at all to report. If you want some BIOS snapshots I can get you some.
I don't think that is required, but I appreciate the offer. My board should be here later this week.

The board and SSD arrived today. Windows is installing now.

I'm doing Windows to test stability. I'm not sure what flavor of Linux I want to run just yet. I only run Windows for games and work/school crap that requires it.

The speed is ok, but not what I was expecting. I think I have a setting wrong in the BIOS, though.

I'm currently having an issue where every other boot has severe problems with running programs. It feels like it is waiting on disk access, but the Intel Toolbox reports everything is fine. Going to check a few things and see what I can find.

This is my first post from the new computer. I'm using the onboard audio and I can't say with confidence that a discrete audio card sounds different to me.

Woke up this morning and the system had hard locked overnight. I'm suspecting my power supply.

I purchased a Asus 570 off the forums this morning and I have a spare power supply to test with. That will allow me to figure out what part is failing. The only ones that I've carried over from the old system are the power supply, video card, and optical drives.

The case should be arriving shortly, as well.

The Lian Li case arrived and I'm impressed so far. The case is unbelievably light and well designed. I'm deciding whether I want to re-do the wiring for the case. I'd end up doing the front buttons/lights and all the fans.

I'm a "moderate" audiophile.
After listening to audio at a normal level, I'm not sure if I'm satisfied with the onboard audio or not. To me, it sounds like it is softening loud noises in songs, which makes it feel mushy. I can't tell if this is just me wanting to hear something, but it is starting to bug me. I'm listening to music at higher than normal volume now to see if I can catch it for sure. It does not seem to be affected by device volume, program volume (FooBar), or any combination there within.

I might install my Auzentech Prelude since I still have a PCI slot to see if there is a difference.

--

As for the Lian Li case, after working with it a bit more than the last time I posted, I have to say I'm quite thoroughly impressed with the quality and design. It is just so handsome sitting on my desk and I absolutely don't regret purchasing it. Whether or not that will stay the same in the next few months, I don't know. The only issue I ran into is my Lamptron FC-2 is a few mm too wide to fit in the 5.25" bays. But, I'm running everything off the power supply right now and the system is very quiet, so I may just sell that and run it "bare".

Last edited:
Also, thanks to everyone that has helped thus far. I seriously appreciate the input. Here is what I got so far:

Intel 520 180gb SSD and Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H. I've never owned a Gigabyte board before and I had a difficult time pulling the trigger on buying it, but I don't regret it so far - it is well designed.
board_and_ssd.JPG

Decided to upgrade from my GTX 260 to something a bit more powerful and a lot more quiet.
gtx470.JPG

The blue in the picture is no where near as bright as it is in real life; it is much less pronounced. The internals are still a long way from being done, but I'm really liking this case so far. Everything about it feels finished and as if they put thought into everything about it. I may get rid of the casters though, not sure if I like them. This case looks so classy that I feel like I need to wear a top hat while sitting in line of sight. Additionally, this case is incredibly light. When I first picked up the box, I couldn't believe there was this big of a case inside. I never realized how weightless a fully-aluminum case actually is.
lian_li_v1000.JPG

I'm still quite a ways from being done, so I should have more updates. I need to order pins for the front panel buttons/LEDs so I can re-wire them from scratch and I need to make custom power cables for the power supply.

I've ordered the pins for the front panel and the TRUE mounting bracket for this socket. Still trying to figure out what to do about the fan controller not fitting. I could sand down the edges, but it will probably look bad.

Just got the bracket in for my TRUE. Temperatures are at ~54c running 1.25v @ 3.4 GHz. I've left these both up to the motherboard, so I haven't seen how low I can get this voltage.

Back