• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I want to echo veryhumid's words. I have found your guide very, very helpful and informative. In fact, it is the best OC guide I have read. Most are just 'do this, do that, monitor your temps and bam! you're done!'

Cheers graysky :thup:

In the begining it lists the E6300/20 with this multiplier/bus speed, 7X200=1.86GHZ. Is my math different, could be I am older, but shouldn't the multiplier be 9?
I have a E6300 but don't see much written about it. Is is just an average CPU?
Thanks,

Al

Last edited:
In the begining it lists the E6300/20 with this multiplier/bus speed, 7X200=1.86GHZ. Is my math different, could be I am older, but shouldn't the multiplier be 9?
I have a E6300 but don't see much written about it. Is is just an average CPU?
Thanks,

Al

No it's 7 x 266 = 1.862. 1066/4 = 266.

With a mutltiplier of 7 it wasn't a good clocker. They where cheap so if you fried it running you didn't feel so bad. (500 x 7 = 3,500)

Hi,
I have to say this is a great post! I can honestly say that I was glued to the screen while reading this. Very interesting stuff, and you wrote it all very well. Your guide has really helped me to understand how OCing works. I would like to try this on my new build in a couple weeks. I have a couple questions about specific memory.

You wrote:

Second thing you'll want to do is relax (lower) the timings on your memory. You can go back in and make them more aggressive once you find the right vcore for your overclock. You don't HAVE to change them now, but doing so do minimize the number of variables you’re dealing with on a first time overclock. In other words, if your machine isn't stable, you want to be sure it's due to the CPU settings, NOT the memory timings.

A good rule of thumb is to set the first four timings to 5-5-5-15 when you start. After you find your system is stable, lower them to 4-4-4-12 or whatever your memory I spec’ed out at and see if that’s stable. Don’t mess with the default values for the “sub timings” at this time. You can do that after you get a stable overclock.

Can you give me any pointers on this concept when using this memory?:

CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820145200

I am sorry to bother you, but you seem to have a real knack for explaining these things well, and for making them easier to understand. Any tips on specific settings that you might try first or any tips in general for this memory would be much appreciated. Also, if you have any tips for the Q940 they would also be very much appreciated. Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Can you give me any pointers on this concept when using this memory?:

CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820145200

I am sorry to bother you, but you seem to have a real knack for explaining these things well, and for making them easier to understand. Any tips on specific settings that you might try first or any tips in general for this memory would be much appreciated. Also, if you have any tips for the Q940 they would also be very much appreciated. Thank you very much!

I haven't actually used any DDR3 memory, but I would think the basics would be the same. Since you have the -1600 DIMMs, you can up the FSB to 533 without technically overclocking the memory which should provide you with quite a bit of headroom if you're using a Q9540 - in fact, I doubt you'll be able to run it @ 8x533 at all. Just dial in the stock timings 9-9-9-24 and the stock voltage, make sure you're initially running a 1:1 divider and using the recommended voltage and all should be well.

Oh I think I see. So if I run at say 8x400 or 8x450, the memory will still work all right? I was sort of worried that the memory wouldn't work properly at the lower FSB. I am still a n00b at this. Sorry if the question is a silly one.

Well, to run @ a FSB of 400 MHz, you'd need at least DDR3-1200 and for 450, DDR3-1350. Since they don't make those, DDR3-1333 would do a 400 MHz FSB and it may or may not do a 450 MHz FSB.

graysky you left me absolutely questionless with your post. It was a pleasure reading it. OC-ing was always a far away topic for me as I am in motion graphics business and have always required stability and reliability but recently I bought this system:

QX9650
OCZ Reaper 4x2gb PC8500
VGA HD3870x2
GA-EX38-DS4
2x SilenX 120 25
2x SilenX 120 36
Thermalright IFX-14 HS

and decided to jump into OC world. I think I can really benefit from OC-ing my CPU because it has sooo much potential cause of its great architecture.

But there is something that is tempting me to build my sys from scratch, something fishy. Idle CPU temp as shown on Core Temp 0.97.1 was around 50-51 for two of the cores and 45-47 C for the other two. Load temp after an hour of Prime95 torturing shows the same relation, two cores at 63-64C and other two at 57-59C without OC-ing whatsoever. To make things more weird there was a cooler chart that stated that IFX-14 provides 35C on idle CPU QX6850 which has the same thermal specification as QX9650 with just one fan. I have two 120x38 on it. Is this usual? Doesn't seem to be. Please people, share your thoughts on this one.

There is one more input I can give you. The guy that installed the cooler covered the heatsink with Thermalright's Chill Factor TIM without lapping. He was using way too much TIM comparing with image graysky provided. Also I am not sure how tight should the HS be with the CPU and MOBO? Could these things be connected with my issue, a bad HS instalation?

Regards

@Sin - differences between cores is normal since the IHS on C2D/C2Q is not flat from the factory. Most are concave like a salad bowl. Before I lapped my Q6600 I had the same sort of temperature differences between cores as well. If it bugs you, I'd say go ahead and lap the HS and the IHS which should even them out s well as reduce them.

The whole 35 °C idle thing is highly dependent on the vcore of the chip. Most of the heat you'll produce is a function of the vcore, not the FSB/multiplier. See the section in the guide for more details. Unless your chip is set to the same vcore as the test chip, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also, there is a pretty big debate right now about the accuracy of temp monitoring programs (all of them) for chips in general. The whole problem is Intel never released (officially) the tjmax variables for the software to use when reading the DTS in the chips. People are guessing at these values. Google the term 'realtemp' to find another piece of software like coretemp that will give you different readings. Which is right? No one knows for sure at this point in time.

As to your TIM observation, if they used too much, odds are the excess squished out depending on how tight the HS is on top of the CPU. Again, if it bothers you, remove the HS, clean it and the CPU, and replace it yourself (i have always liked AS5).

Graysky u rock...

I am new in OC and i am sure that with ur tips i will manage to OC my new Q6600 up 3GHz...

There is one thing that concerns me.I have the same prob as Sin.My core temp is from 40 C to 44 C but when i use prime,2 cores go to 59-60C and the other 2 69-70C with stock Cpu cooler...and since i dont know what "HS" or "IHS" is cuase i am a noob,i'd love to "read" a simple way for dealing with that prob...

Also i am thinking of getting a cpu cooler like that one:
http://www.zerotherm.net/eng/product/BTF90.asp
what's ur opinion?

Sorry for messing with ur time. :(
Again,great job - keep it up.
Thnx

@MAN -

IHS = Internal Heat Spreader which is simply the top of your CPU (stamped with Intel Corp. E6600, etc.)
HS = Heatsink

What is your vcore set to and did you minimize it as described in the guide?

I'd suggest getting rid of the stock HS as you suggested. I honestly don't know about that HS you linked... I have only ever used the Ultra-120 Extreme and it's worth every penny to me. If you're seeing a 10 °C spread, it could be poor contact between the chip and the HS as well as unevenness in both components as well. First thing I'd do is get yourself a better HS and see how the temps are from there. If they're still bad, you can consider lapping.

@gray
My vore voltage is 1.176.I haven't oc yet.I am waiting for the cpu cooler i linked u above...Thnx for the explanation.Couple of questions :p

My core temp is from 42 to 45 in idle.Is it OK?
And whats an acceptable temp when OC'ed in 3GHz and running prime?

Last edited:
@Gray
My vore voltage is 1.176.I haven't oc yet.I am waiting for the cpu cooler i linked u above...Thnx for the explanation.Couple of questions :p

My core temp is from 42 to 45 in idle.Is it OK?
And whats an acceptable temp when OC'ed in 3GHz and running prime?

1.18 Is good for a setting of auto 9x266 right? How are you reading the temps (which software)? If I use coretemp, my idle temps are 42,43,42,42 @ 8x333 with a vcore of 1.15 V. Load temps don't exceed about 55 or so. If I jack it up to 9x333 @ 1.2625 V, load temps are usually under 62.

graysky I wanna make a report.

I lapped my IHS and HS (mirror finish) which helped me loose 9-10C on all cores. My load temps are 55 55 51 50 for my QX9650 at 1.125v no OC. My idle temps are 49 49 40 38, which is strange. Even after lapping Core Temp 0.97.1 is still reading 9C difference between some cores at idle. It seems I lost my 10-9C with lapping (due to new copper contact between IHS and HS) but still failed to make both surfaces perfect flat. When I use my lamp to check are the surfaces perfect flat I can see a tiny tiny fraction of a mm with no contact on both sides, suggesting one of them is still concave or convex. Still it is not enough to make such a big difference, it is a micron offset, could it be the dynamic energy saver from my Ga-EX38-Ds4 mobo?
Any thoughts on the temp differences? Are these temps good to go on with overclocking? What do you think about my temps in general?

Thanks a lot

@sin - glad to hear you lost nearly 9-10 °C overall which is great. Dunno what to tell you about your temp. spread. To me it suggests poor contact as you pointed out. Did you try to rotate your HS 90 ° from it's current position (i.e. from North-South to East-West or vice vera)? Mine works best in a N-S orientation for some reason.

If you feel up to it, you can always take more off the IHS. Look carefully at the extreme edges and make sure it's still not concave. I dunno about that dynamic energy saver on your board, but I'm thinking probably not.

Something to note about the 45nm quads is that no one really knows what the true core temp is because Intel hasn't published an official list of tjmax values. Long story but give realtemp a try. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully about calibrating it @ idle @ the LOWEST possible vcore and clockrate.

...what kinda HS do you have?

Link to realtemp here.

FANTASTIC!! I'm a first time overclocker and haven't found anything this thorough or written this clearly. THANK YOU!!! Now, on to some fun!!:beer:

Back