• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have decided to go Dothan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mcoleg said:
galileo, what case is that?

It is nMedia HTPC 100, picked up in local store for $85, Enermax power supply included. Newegg has them too, but for some reason charge $120 something.

and quoting Sjaak,

Having relatively fast and very quiet desktop built out of spare laptop parts (CPU, HDD, DVD): priceless :D

Link is here: http://www.nmediapc.com/product1a.htm

Last edited:
AH! Thanks. I had forgotten all about that. Anyone know how safe it is to run 1.700V? Being 0.09 it's kinda in the unknown, anyone out there who has been running 1.700V for 24/7? I'd like to keep this CPU for a while, this means not killing it, but at the same time I wouldn't mind some more power from it, assuming more volts will help from this point.

Thanks

Scott.

if you cool it properly (not air), then i see no reasons why not 1.7v..
though, there is no reports at all about sudden dothan death syndrome..

I'll see how much more it gives me. Say for example 2.8 with same sort of FSB then i'll go for it. Thanks for the reply, I wasn't expecting much till tomorrow (today just early morning atm) I'll find some fuse wire, that should do the trick.

Scott.

I am about to join you guys in in the dathon club. Here is what I am thinking.

SILVERSTONE SST-LC11-B Black case

Asus P4P800-VM motherboard

And I am buying a used P-M 715.

What do you guys think. I haven't had time to read all 35 pages in this thread yet. Two questions I have.
1- will the 240W power supply in that silverstone be enough so long as I stick with a modest graphics card?
2- Do I need memory faster then the standard PC-3200 when overclocking a dathon?

hyperasus said:
What do you guys think. I haven't had time to read all 35 pages in this thread yet. Two questions I have.
1- will the 240W power supply in that silverstone be enough so long as I stick with a modest graphics card?
2- Do I need memory faster then the standard PC-3200 when overclocking a dathon?

1 - Yes, 240W will be sufficient. The chip won't use more then 20 - 50W even if you overclock it hugely.

2 - In your case not, since that chip it 'only' 400FSB, it will not manage to clock over 800 (double :eek: ). However, if you would later choose to upgrade to a 533FSB model, it's much more likely to go over 800FSB so you may want faster RAM then.

RAM timings are very important for Dothan's architecture, try to pick up some pc3200 that will do 2,5/2 222 5.

Thanks Sjaak. Am I making a huge mistake getting a 400fsb model? I will probably be getting a dell laptop sometime soon. I could order the laptop with a 533fsb model and then switch it with the 715 and do the pin mod on the 715 for the laptop.

This memory here looks fun. Not sure if P4P800 will support CL 1.5 though.

I wasn't really going to get all in to this dathon too much, but the more I look in to it the funner it looks.

hyperasus said:
Thanks Sjaak. Am I making a huge mistake getting a 400fsb model? I will probably be getting a dell laptop sometime soon. I could order the laptop with a 533fsb model and then switch it with the 715 and do the pin mod on the 715 for the laptop.

Well, the 400FSB model will have a higher multiplier but lower FSB. They're older models so will likely clock a bit lower but it isn't all that much. Just see how far yours will go and then decide whether it may be worth upgrading to a 533FSB model.

hyperasus said:
I wasn't really going to get all in to this dathon too much, but the more I look in to it the funner it looks.

Great, isn't it :) I'd like to know how many people actually switched to dothan / considered it because of the threads here.

Last edited:
Hey Sjaak whats the quickest way to get my mitts on a CT-497 converter? Newegg and ZipZoom don't have them.

I switched to dathon because I need something cool, quiet and reliable that I can use when my main rig is broke down or being worked on. I was going to just get a Celeron D but decided heck with it. Might as well spend a few more hundred and get something I like. With 35 pages on this thread I figure I will have all the help I need. Now I can't wait to get all the stuff.

galileo5

See this thread for lots of info

There is a easy wire mod to provide 1.55v vcore. Then use either SetFSB or Clockgen to set the FSB on boot. I use SetFSB to set my 750 to 10 x 275mhz after booting at 10 x 201. Works like a charm.

I am planning the same thing .... P4P800-VM with my 730, wire mod, boot at 12 x 200mhz for my HTPC. Old 2400+ is a bit tired now.

BrianH2O said:
galileo5

See this thread for lots of info

There is a easy wire mod to provide 1.55v vcore. Then use either SetFSB or Clockgen to set the FSB on boot. I use SetFSB to set my 750 to 10 x 275mhz after booting at 10 x 201. Works like a charm.

I am planning the same thing .... P4P800-VM with my 730, wire mod, boot at 12 x 200mhz for my HTPC. Old 2400+ is a bit tired now.

Thanks Brian. I am familiar with the thread you've linked.

I am afraid it's too late, since AS5 was applied.

I could not find correct SetFSB for P4P800-VM. Could you point me to one?

use the one that's "for P4C800 Ultra Version 1.5i"

Your MB uses the 865PE chipset with the same clock generator.

If you put it in your STARTUP folder, it will execute automatically with the following options on the command line

"C:\Program Files\SetFSB\SetFSBu_P4C800.exe" -s275 -w2

where -s is the FSB you want and -w is a wait time. Even at stock VCore, you should be able to get a lot more from it.

Have fun

BrianH2O said:
use the one that's "for P4C800 Ultra Version 1.5i"

Your MB uses the 865PE chipset with the same clock generator.

If you put it in your STARTUP folder, it will execute automatically with the following options on the command line

"C:\Program Files\SetFSB\SetFSBu_P4C800.exe" -s275 -w2

where -s is the FSB you want and -w is a wait time. Even at stock VCore, you should be able to get a lot more from it.

Have fun

Thanks Brian.

I'll let you know.

Back