• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i want to OC my cpu just enough not to bottleneck my vid card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
just till i get stability back or with each increase to my BCLK or is this going to be a little of both

At high overclocks its very common(required) to use a slightly higher cpu voltage. Id also look at your ram speed. You may want to consider dialing down your ram as low as your motherboard will allow until you find the CPU speed your looking for and then tweak the memory. I know it takes longer but I feel like you get a more fair evaluation of what the CPU is capable of when you do it this way.

Edit. to answer your last question its a bit of both, push vcore until you reach stability and then continue with overclocking until you reach your goal/cpus limit. If you havnt met your goal but the CPU wont cooperate give it more vcore(to your personal limit) and see if you can get more out of it.

righto, ssjwizard the slowest my mb will alow for memory is 6 and thats what it was set to and i agree that would seem to let the CPU do more work, im sure it might im no expert lol, so i just increase my Vtt by 0.01 till im stable up the BCLK till its unstable, repeat process

At high overclocks its very common(required) to use a slightly higher cpu voltage. Id also look at your ram speed. You may want to consider dialing down your ram as low as your motherboard will allow until you find the CPU speed your looking for and then tweak the memory. I know it takes longer but I feel like you get a more fair evaluation of what the CPU is capable of when you do it this way.

Edit. to answer your last question its a bit of both, push vcore until you reach stability and then continue with overclocking until you reach your goal/cpus limit. If you havnt met your goal but the CPU wont cooperate give it more vcore(to your personal limit) and see if you can get more out of it.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

righto, ssjwizard the slowest my mb will alow for memory is 6 and thats what it was set to and i agree that would seem to let the CPU do more work, im sure it might im no expert lol, so i just increase my Vtt by 0.01 till im stable up the BCLK till its unstable, repeat process

Also I used 0.01 as a reference you can push it by higher increments such as 0.05 etc. Just remain within safe specs(under 1.36v default)

alright ssjwizard and pwnmachine thanks again here goes a handful more hours watching a stress test, and temp of course lol thanks again

again thnx for all of yalls help it is much apreciated especially for yalls patience with a "newb" such as myself, increased voltage to 1.056 again running 3rd test hopefully this time it works

wow for such a small oc that big of a voltage increase? i am only trying to get as close to 4.0Ghz as possible, because im air cooled. sso 1.25v?

lol really? wow ok well i dont think im even half way there lol i just got the basic concept of overclocking in my head now its applying with trial and error lol

so how many years u guys been technicians and/or comp engineers or am i listening to a 12yr old kid in japan lol

Ive been an overclocker for over a decade, Ive been on this site for almost a decade. Im nothing special though just a tinkerer, I enjoy playing with HW just for fun. Miah over there on the other hand HAS set world records for memory overclocking if not more. TBH 1.25v IMO is nothing. I have pushed over 2v down a CPUs throat and had a smile on my face the whole time. Mind you I probably wouldnt go over 1.55amd/1.45intel for any 24/7 overclock.

GL and dont forget to have fun!

ok so im at 1.28125v and windows boots but before i can get the stress running i get a memory dump. also i just noticed that cpuz is displaying my core v at 1.216 when im at 1.28750v is it normal for cpuz to be that far off???

Do you have EIST(enhanced intel speed step/speedstep/ect) enabled? If you do you should shut that off. It will swing the voltage and multipliers around. IMO this leads to instability faster than anything when overclocking. You want a stable consistent speed/electron flow going on.
I am not the biggest intel clocker Im sure that one of these other guys can provide additional ideas.

o_O wow i had not even a clue about you guys. im sorry if i seemed pig headed at all or rude. if i had the money i would do this all the time but with trying to find a good school blah blah its hard to maake the money for this type of fun lol.

Meh, I dont spend terrible amounts on my overclocking adventures. I mildly OC my current systems(20-30%) so I can get long life out of them. Then I buy a bunch of 2/3 generations out of date HW and beat it to death. I figure why beat a single current CPU to death trying to see how fast it really was when I can get 20 2generation old chips for the same price.

Overclocking is not about who can spend the most money, IMO its about saving money by getting the most out of the HW you already have. To me Id rather buy a $90 CPU and clock it up to the performance of a $200 CPU and be done with it. I have RARELY owned a chip you could call top dog(Athlon 1400 ayoga anyone???) and yet have managed to keep a system that can trade blows with high end out of the box setups for less than half the price for neerly a decade.

Back