• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 7700K throttling at stock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@stock, your vCore [email protected], which is the normal value.

Auto OC set the vcore too high (1.41v), that's why temps go through the roof.

Try setting it manually to 1.35v.

The H55 might not allow for 4.8GHz anyway, it is quite a high OC for a limited cooler.

Ya TBH I would have went at least with the h80 for overclocking. You might as well be on air. But looks like it definitely help at stock. Always use manual voltage when overclocking anyway. Some people are getting 5GHz out of 1.35v so definitely lower it. for 4.8 try 1.325v, run Aida. If you make it 3-6 hrs lower vcore try again, if you crash raise to 1.335v and try again and so on. Watch your idle vcore and watch what happens under load, Does it raise under load or drop under load. Does it stay the same. Use Load Line Calibration to make your vcore idle at a lower voltage than it is under load. For example: I have my 6700k oc'd to 4.5 GHz with 1.295v in bios. LLC level 7. It idle at 1.296v and under load it is 1.312v-1.328v. Never goes higher.

If that's the stock vCore, it is insanely high! Nice catch Rainwater!

You should be in the 1.25v ballpark on load.

Indeed! Mystery solved I think. Take the bios CPU core voltage settings off of "Auto" and manually set them much lower as Tir na nog said.

I would try lower voltages. My 7700K runs at auto at about 1.25V on MSI board but I can overclock it up to 4.7GHz 1.15V and at this voltage it's possible to run it on average air cooler. I was checking it on Cryorig C7 which is not much bigger than a stock intel cooler.

Had a busy few days so didn't get a chance to mess around.

Swapped the H55 for the H75. Thought about going for the H80, but then I realized that overclocking this little amount is probably enough for me.

Idle Temps with the H75 seem to be 5-7c higher (around 33-34C), but no issues when I ran Aida.

4.8GHz at 1.325

Spikes around high 80s but stays around low 80s, high 70s. No throttling at all. Seems stable and in real world use, I don't think I would ever be pushing it like.

Thank you everyone for the help.

New Cooling.JPG

Last edited:
Back