• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it ok to have positive pressure (in the case)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mav

Registered
Is it ok? I mean, I realize there will be more dust coming in...but if i use a compressed air canister and clean out the case a few times a month, would that be alright?

And also...many have noticed that dust buildup doesnt really hurt anything...(my current comp has dust all over the place...even some cobwebs...no problemos)

-eric

Positive pressure in my opinion is OK in the case as it reduces the chance of hotspots and keeps air moving within the case. I have found that positive pressure actually reduces the intake of dust into my case.

dust can act as an insulating layer and help keep the heat in especially in a psu. So getting it out is an extremly good idea. As for positive pressure, sure its fine. As long as you have good airflow you are fine. So if you have 3 80s in and 2 going out thats fine, but if you have 2 120s going in and one 80 going out, thats bad.

UnseenMenace (Jul 14, 2001 12:47 p.m.):
Positive pressure in my opinion is OK in the case as it reduces the chance of hotspots and keeps air moving within the case. I have found that positive pressure actually reduces the intake of dust into my case.

Agree totally positive pressure should keep dust out negative pressure would draw it in, how it effects heat is a whole different arguement which I am not going to start :)

I think I might have a positive pressure situation in my case. I turned my exhaust fans backwards to act as intakes. There used to be a lot of dust buildup at the front of my case where air came in. Now I can put my hand there and feel air coming out. Dust buildup doesn't seem like much of a problem, since there's nothing but air where the outlet is.

I run my case slightly negative. I don't care about dust. I have it apart enough to stop that. Filters also work also.

One thing that I have noticed is that positive pressure will create higher temps. Slightly higher. You have more coming in than going out. You will get stagnant air that is heated by the system.

I have noticed that with good airflow that is slightly negative will create less hotspots because the air is always moving. It also helps a little on fan life. Your intake fans work a little harder in a positive pressure system. In a slightly negative your fans work at the speed and load that they were designed for. But it does suck in more dust. Unless you use filters.

I think that the big factor on what type of system is user preference and case design. What works for one case might not work on another. Experiment a litte.

Back