• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to screw up a raid array while OCing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

I just got my Firestix back and I've been having fun with high FSB...but something bad happened I think...when my computer posts, goes to the RAID Controller page...said disk 0 "Error Occured(0)" - my Googling indicates it's a failing drive, or possible tripped a SMART error or one of the drives became corrupt. I threw on some stable settings and booted just fine...Windows was a bit freaking out at first but I was able to access all my data just fine, Ultimate Boot Disk says NO smart errors have been found/tripper, short test showed all green and the long test is taking, well, a long time...am i just freaking out for no reason or did my raid array just take a dump? Anyway to fix this without deleting/recreating?

yeah it's very easy to screw up a raid array with an excessive overclock, if it's a raid 0 then it really doesn't take much to screw that up, power loss or a system lockup at the wrong time is all it takes but having the fsb too high can throw out errors even if your not using raid.

You can corrupt data on a RAID array just like any single hard drive if your OC is unstable. Typically, once you corrupt data, it's corrupt. You can try scandisk and whatnot to correct it. If it seems permanent, even backing off your OC, you'll be reinstalling your OS. Every RAID user/OC'er should have imaging software for this type of situation. Good luck.

if its software then definitely, be very careful
its more dangerous than single hdd, because if the system hangs for example the raid soft doesnt finish the write to all hdds and the array may be corrupt at next boot

only safe raid is hardware raid with battery backup

Ahhh, whew then. I ran short, long and SMART tests on the drive in question, all came back good last night. Vista DID want to run a checkdisk...it took a little time but my OS seems to be working fine. I partitioned the volume into 2 drives, one for Vista (This can be lost, no important data kept here) and another into Games (again, not important, main backup on the 1tb). I've been using Acronis to Image my main partition cuz I've been getting lazy with the reformat. After marking the drive normal with Intel Matrix Manager thingy, it went back to normal in the BIOS, should I expect that some of my data is corrupt?

Back