• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is There Such A Thing As To Much Memory?! (A Must Read For Memory Junkies!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OC-Master said:

A little secret for those of you interested,,, The barriar to 32-bit computing from a single processor is 4GB of memory. By going 64-bit or allowing for multi processing, one can venture behond 4GB to 8GB with the dually processors or 16GB of ram on a Single 64-bit platform.

Just think, Dual Athlon-64s could support 32GB of ram on one motherboard.

OC-Master

actually, i'm pretty sure a 64 bit proc would be able to support far more than 16GB, the limit is the number of addressable memory locations, 32 bit addressing = 2^32(4294967296) unique memory addresses = 4GB
64 bit addressing = 2^64(18446744073709551616) = 18 exabytes(think thats the correct prefix) which is a whole hell of a lot more than 16GB

Medicated said:

actually, i'm pretty sure a 64 bit proc would be able to support far more than 16GB, the limit is the number of addressable memory locations, 32 bit addressing = 2^32(4294967296) unique memory addresses = 4GB
64 bit addressing = 2^64(18446744073709551616) = 18 exabytes(think thats the correct prefix) which is a whole hell of a lot more than 16GB

cool, 64 bit cpus could exist for at least 10 years that way...

yeah, they can support more ram that 16 gb,
but I belive cpus like the hammer series are limited still
for not using true 64bit memory addressing, I can't unfortunately remeber the true limit of the hammer chips, but they do have one
I do think Its sumwhere in the region of 32-48gb though

Sumone correct me on tht so I know, I wish I could remember where/who I found that out...

OMG.... 1.5GB memory????

Nice syndrome dude..... an upgrade-holic syndrome?? I don't mind to get infected by this kind of virus. Currently I am running all my 10 computers (office & home) with 512MB memory at CL2. Geez.... after I read this thread, my upgrade syndrome is coming back. Maybe I should test 768mb for home use...he...he... :p :p

You can turn off the swap file in WinXP, but there's still a "phantom" swap file that exists somehow. If you use the task manager (ctrl-alt-del), it shows how much page file windows is using. Very very strange....

DaBigJ said:
You can turn off the swap file in WinXP, but there's still a "phantom" swap file that exists somehow. If you use the task manager (ctrl-alt-del), it shows how much page file windows is using. Very very strange....

There is a registry string in your bios that removes the mystereous phantom swaping. A user on these forums posted it awhile back and I edited my Registry with it. Unfortuneatly, I dont remember the exact string it was no more.

OC-Master

Hmm, I wonder if it has to do with that largesystemcache string.. I'm not too sure either, but I'm pretty sure the above setting ended up f'ing up my pc.

really? hm... d'you know what search string I should use on the forum search engine to find that?

hm... I searched for "largesystemcache". This seems to be what you're talking about, but I already have it set to 1 and I still have a phantom swap file. Or is it some other registry key?

just out of curiousity, has anybody tried to disable the page file with a gig of ram? i have a gig and i have been thinking about trying it... my system's memory usage never goes past 512 mb even when running a ton of apps... i opened almost every application i have and i still had about 400 mb free. it probably took about 3 minutes just to close everything :D that was including folding protein, crunching seti, running ms visual studio.net and defragging :D

OC-Master said:
Come to think of it, if I had the chance to get more ram, I would. But unfortuneatly, my motherboard only supports up to 1.5GB of ram.

The Athlon-64 motherboards can handle up to 16GBytes of ram so we should see my next PC with at least 4GB of ram to start with and hopefully 8GB of ram by 2006.

OC-Master

Dual cpus doesn't increase the ram limit in the way you imply. No matter how many cpus you've got in a 32-bit x86 box, you can still only address 4gb of memory unless you resort to hacks like PAE which is what the boards you see that take 8gb or more of ram do. This is considered a performance killer though, and only used in certain situations.

The Athlon64 can take more than 16gb of ram logically, its just that they are limiting how much you can put on the motherboard. In this case, you are right, I think they did say its 16gb per cpu, or maybe it was 4gb per cpu and they would give you more banks as you added cpus. This is a motherboard design decesion though, not any fundamental limitation of the architecture.

Theres a reg command to force windows to only use a swapfile when physical memory is full. Damned if I remember it. But it's there.

Lithan said:
Theres a reg command to force windows to only use a swapfile when physical memory is full. Damned if I remember it. But it's there.

i wish i could find that command! that'd be great... i am looking around the internet and i will notify you guys if i find it...

KerryrreK said:
what operating system do you have? And why exactly do you need this much RAM? What do you do with it?

Kerry

Well i have the same amount of memory in my machine (see sig)
Just rendered and burnt to DVD a copy of a film i made to send to freinds in the UK. I was running at 936 to 1012 MB of ram for 1 hour. Also i love BF1942 and this is very useful to have for a memory hog like this!

There is no such thing as long are you are running an OS with a memory manager, if you are running anything like Windows 95,98, ME i would watch out anything over 256MB tends to slow you down.

I used this setup to maximized the use of 512mb RAM ( ie. I force the Windows to use RAM first before the use of swapfile).

Open system.ini in C:\WINDOWS

Under [386Enh]: type or add these lines

DMABufferSize=64
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
PageBuffers=32

DMABufferSize for any hardwares / components that use DMA to access the memory in 64K (more stable and faster)

ConservativeSwapfileUsage is the most important element in WinMe and Win98, it force the Windows to use physical memory first before the use of virtual memory (swapfile).

PageBuffers for ?? i don't know.

OC-Master said:

But as you can tell from 3Dmark2001SE, the score not only stayed flat but gained additional points overall.
OC-Master

It doesn't surprise me that the the 3Dmark score is unchanged. Doesn't this benchmark live in video RAM? Each test/demo probably doesn't occupy more than a few megabytes of RAM so that it could be loaded entirely into Video RAM before running. So, system RAM would be irrelevant.

Back