• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is There Such A Thing As To Much Memory?! (A Must Read For Memory Junkies!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Re: Re: Is There Such A Thing As To Much Memory?! (A Must Read For Memory Junkies!)

baraka said:

It doesn't surprise me that the the 3Dmark score is unchanged. Doesn't this benchmark live in video RAM? Each test/demo probably doesn't occupy more than a few megabytes of RAM so that it could be loaded entirely into Video RAM before running. So, system RAM would be irrelevant.

well if you look at the highest 3dmark scores, they all pretty much run 256 mb ram. that is because 3dmark isn't ram crucial... plus it's a lot easier to o/c 1 stick than 2 since 1 can be the limiting factor.

Re: Re: Re: Is There Such A Thing As To Much Memory?! (A Must Read For Memory Junkies!)

mbentley said:

well if you look at the highest 3dmark scores, they all pretty much run 256 mb ram. that is because 3dmark isn't ram crucial... plus it's a lot easier to o/c 1 stick than 2 since 1 can be the limiting factor.

I guess it depends on how much of the processing is done by the CPU versus the GPU. I imagine the CPU still has a big part to play in the benchmark in which case system RAM would be utilized. At any rate, the amount of system RAM wouldn't matter but it's speed would.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is There Such A Thing As To Much Memory?! (A Must Read For Memory Junkies!)

baraka said:

I guess it depends on how much of the processing is done by the CPU versus the GPU. I imagine the CPU still has a big part to play in the benchmark in which case system RAM would be utilized. At any rate, the amount of system RAM wouldn't matter but it's speed would.

yeah, i would guess that they'd be using pc 1066 rdram... that stuff is expensive anyway... i would just love to see someone with l2 and all that expensive hardware trying to get the new highest 3dmark score...

XWRed1 said:

Dual cpus doesn't increase the ram limit in the way you imply. No matter how many cpus you've got in a 32-bit x86 box, you can still only address 4gb of memory unless you resort to hacks like PAE which is what the boards you see that take 8gb or more of ram do. This is considered a performance killer though, and only used in certain situations.

The Athlon64 can take more than 16gb of ram logically, its just that they are limiting how much you can put on the motherboard. In this case, you are right, I think they did say its 16gb per cpu, or maybe it was 4gb per cpu and they would give you more banks as you added cpus. This is a motherboard design decesion though, not any fundamental limitation of the architecture.

I think that he never said anything about dual cpus, he is talking about 64 bit cpus, this time the x86-64 architecture so he is right, he can adress more than 4gb with that mobo/cpu

And people, for windows xp theres no reg hack to disable the page file use, its right there in the page file settings, and with 512 you can do it, but some progrmas might hung, i know that adobe ilustrator does, with 768 you are safe and with more, you deffinitly have to do this, as for the other windows, 2000 and less yes you will have to find a tweak and optimize the use of ram, you can get rid of all the page fil like you can`t with xp.

Ugh, I quoted the wrong part. I meant to quote this:

A little secret for those of you interested,,, The barriar to 32-bit computing from a single processor is 4GB of memory. By going 64-bit or allowing for multi processing, one can venture behond 4GB to 8GB with the dually processors or 16GB of ram on a Single 64-bit platform.

oc-master,

i'm using win98 se, and my total memory is 640mb, and i did had a problem with windows memory limit but i was kind a able to solve my problem, i read in some website by limiting my vcache would solve my problem but still i'm experiencing now jolts or like pausing once in a while, can this problem be solve?....... and one last question, by limiting windows to 512mb this means the 128mb left is not being use and its not even making my system faster?......... any i deas?....... actually the techsupport of my board said to just take away the 128mb and settle for 512mb of memory........

angeltazman said:
oc-master,

i'm using win98 se, and my total memory is 640mb, and i did had a problem with windows memory limit but i was kind a able to solve my problem, i read in some website by limiting my vcache would solve my problem but still i'm experiencing now jolts or like pausing once in a while, can this problem be solve?....... and one last question, by limiting windows to 512mb this means the 128mb left is not being use and its not even making my system faster?......... any i deas?....... actually the techsupport of my board said to just take away the 128mb and settle for 512mb of memory........

I would upgrade to WindowsXP. You'll notice a huge game in overall web browseing and computing experience by switching to the new operating system. XP would put that 640MB to good use :)

OC-Master

Motheboard?

Darkseid said:
A tip, oc-master with that much ram (and with less too) i will recommend you to stop using a page file, i´v done that myself and windows xp, it´s just amazing, try it and tell how it went, i HIGHLY recommend this for people with lots of ram

Hello, I recently bought 512MB PC150 Ram and a Tualatin celeron 1.1GHZ CPU. I need to get a motherboard that will work with them. What motherboard do you use for your Tualatin?

Thanks,
Dave

Hola, yo compro 512MB PC150 Ram y un Tualatin Celeron 1.1GHz CPU. Necesito un motherboard (placa base) que puede trabajar con mi CPU y mi RAM. Que motherboard (placa base) tienes? Puedes recomendarse uno?

Gracias,
Dave

(No puedo usar marcas de acento con este teclado.)

Anyone ever tried to load an entire game into a RAMDisk since people have so much RAM these days. Not sure if it would work but I'd heard that it was possible to load Quake III into a ramdisk or parts of it or something that gave at least fast load times.

I've always wanted to try something like that. I'm limited though since I only have 512 RAM and using Windows 98 so can't get more RAM. Just don't see the point in getting XP since I have 2 computers and not much money for 2 copies of XP. I also play online games like Dark Age of Camelot and not sure how well the patching process would work with a Ramdisk.

if i install windows xp would all my files be erased?...... what if i decided to go back in win98 SE, can i uninstall Windows XP and not loose my files?......

OC-Master said:

I would upgrade to WindowsXP. You'll notice a huge game in overall web browseing and computing experience by switching to the new operating system. XP would put that 640MB to good use :)

OC-Master

Don't have XP myself but I would think it would be possible. I believe it was possible to upgrade Win95 to 98 and not lose all your files but I can't be sure. Might have to reinstall all the drivers and what not. I of course just prefer doing clean installs after a format anyway.

If you had 2 hard drives that weren't running in RAID then you could just move all your files to one hard drive and just install XP on the other. I think that would work.

typhoonmike said:
Anyone ever tried to load an entire game into a RAMDisk since people have so much RAM these days. Not sure if it would work but I'd heard that it was possible to load Quake III into a ramdisk or parts of it or something that gave at least fast load times.

I've always wanted to try something like that. I'm limited though since I only have 512 RAM and using Windows 98 so can't get more RAM. Just don't see the point in getting XP since I have 2 computers and not much money for 2 copies of XP. I also play online games like Dark Age of Camelot and not sure how well the patching process would work with a Ramdisk.

I know people who have and they said the load times were pretty good. Its one of my goals if I have enough disposable cash on hand to buy piles of ram.

actually, i thought of that having 2 OS, but 1 thing i don't like is that whichever OS i boot i can still see all the files of the other OS and because of this, it is also possible to have the OS files to be corrupted or accidentally to be erased and end up not boot up also.........

typhoonmike said:
Don't have XP myself but I would think it would be possible. I believe it was possible to upgrade Win95 to 98 and not lose all your files but I can't be sure. Might have to reinstall all the drivers and what not. I of course just prefer doing clean installs after a format anyway.

If you had 2 hard drives that weren't running in RAID then you could just move all your files to one hard drive and just install XP on the other. I think that would work.

Back