• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good deal? graphics card recommendation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok the stats for the IDE ATA HDD are i believe the same.

i thought sata TRANSFERS data faster

scott

Yeah, when someone says maybe $90 I like to stick with the budget listed, not 20%+ over the budget. If he can afford it though, sure you are right. :-/

what do you mean by bigger pipe?

overall, is sata better?

Scott
Yes its better, but you are not saturating the IDE pipe with your HDD's so it really doesnt make a difference. Look at it this way. If you have a garden hose with a 1GPM flow rate, and move that 1GPM flow rate to a fire hose, you still have a 1GPM flow rate. Bigger pipe with the same pressure/flow rate doesnt mean more. To bring this back home if your drive does 50MB/s with IDE (which isnt pushing its limits), and you move that same drive to sata, its still going to run 50MB/s.

GTX 460 at 109$ is a steal.

I bought my brother the 9800 GT, and I am sadly disappointed with it's performance at 1280 * 1024 in modern games at low settings.

I would be running this from dvi to vga via the dvi to vga adapter. to a view sonic 15" vga monitor at a resolution of 1024 x 768 running mainly microsoft flight simulator X and realflight G5.5 rc plane simulator. currently running this resolution and low settings on flight sim X and still lags a hair. the realflight G5 running at medium settings with very little lag.

would I be able to turn both of these up if not all the way with this 9800gt?

Thank you,
Scott

FSX is a resource muncher. On an i7 950 and a 1GB 6870, both of which are current mid-high end parts, FSX is slightly choppy on max everything in some parts.

To MAAAAX out FSX you need an obscene amount of power. We're talking like 16 processing threads and 4ish Tflops of theoretical graphics power to punch everything to max and get a super high frame rate.

Here is FSX running on an extremely similar system to what you're proposing. E6550 (overclocked 2.33>3.18Ghz), 2GB 1066 DDR2 5/5/5/15, P5Q-E mobo (450x7), 8800GTS512 (similar in power to 9800GT)

and here it is on a 4Ghz i7 950, 6GB 1600Mhz DDR3 7/9/7, 6870 1GB

GTX 460 at 109$ is a steal.

I bought my brother the 9800 GT, and I am sadly disappointed with it's performance at 1280 * 1024 in modern games at low settings.

To be fair, 9800GT was a budget card in 2008, based almost entirely on a budget card from 2007, the 8800GT.

Last edited:
I ordered my new 9800gt graphics card.
I am assembling my new used system as I speak, I cant wait to fire her up EA

I really cant wait to get this card and see what she can handle. I want to thank you all tremendously for your help in answering my questions and giving me advice.

that video was not too bad on what would be an example of my system. thats about what im looking for at this point, its just so boring when there are all but no buildings, trees, vehicles. I at least want to have some sort of realism to the simulator.

Scott

wow earthdog that is awesome. that system runs 1000 times better than what I had. the system im upgrading from does not even compare to that.

Scott

that video was not too bad on what would be an example of my system. thats about what im looking for at this point, its just so boring when there are all but no buildings, trees, vehicles. I at least want to have some sort of realism to the simulator.

Scott

If you take the CPU up to about 3.2Ghz which shouldn't be an issue for it due to the multi. Even 3.4 should be possible if you have a decent cooler. With really good thermal compound and the fan on high though, even the stock 775 65nm tall HS can push a conroe (I think your chip is a conroe) to over 3Ghz and remail below 60c all the time <-- pretend that was actually a sencence, then you should be able to get everything on medium at 1080p.

These were my settings:

Draw distance medium
LOD draw distance small
autogen and scenery low-medium for major cities medium elsewhere (I'd change it if I was going to, say, do Las Vegas to Los Angeles, but leave it medium for a field in Ohio to another field in Ohio).

Aircraft model: max, all reflections on

water: medium without reflections

clouds: 60 or 70mi

cloud cover level: medium

resolution: 1920x1080

frame rate lock: 25 or 30

traffic: no road airport low or medium boats low other planes low

realism: all one notch from max

Here it is with a lot of weather

This system I just bought. I hope this is not a major deal but it will not boot up. the farthest I got was the screen in which it says windows was no shut down properly. safe mode, safe mode comand, last know good config, start windows normally. i would do last known config. it would act like its booting. then reboot back to mobo. this is all it does. now when I connect the cd rom up to it the hdd light stays on constantly. disk boot failure insert system disk press enter. what is going on here? did i buy myself a paperweight?

scott

Just wanted to let you guys know that I appreciate all your help and advice.
I got my 9800gt in the mail yesterday and wow, this thing really kicks some a**.:clap: highly impressed. runs my Realflight G5 simulator like its nothing. Everything turned up full blast, not a glitch, or one bit of lag:attn:, framerates are 117-140+ fps, really nice (well to me it is). Thank you to psionic98 for the link to the 9800GT. thank you so much. that was a heck of a deal on that.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Right now I am running the pc on a 13.6 gb ide hdd that I found in one of my boxes. i cant try out the simulator yet because I need a bigger drive. ill do that when I get paid. my 80 gb hdd was the problem. runs fine in my old system, wont run in this new one, have no clue why.

Scott

Back