• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just removed the IHS from my Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That takes some balls... At least this way, the S775 retention mechanism should still work. (i think) Subscribed

If you have "Macro" settings on your digi turn it on and retake the images. I want more detailed pics to look at. Mostly so I don't get to curious and try this myself! lol

What the hell? Are you planning on just slapping a giant heatsink straight onto the cores?

OMFG :eek::eek: ....wow dude you have some nuts...:screwy:

Like every1 else I want to know what happens in the morning. hopefully this works out for you...if it does I'm sure there will be others who follow.... here's to hoping it boots up for you :beer: :beer:

....holy crap you weren't kidding. o_O

Does it work?
It's a demon.

Have you tested it yet?
Didn't work last night, but then I found out my waterblock wasn't making full contact, so now it does WORK! :santa:

By unconventional, did you mean a cinder block?I am interested if this worked though.
Nope, I had my dog lick it for a couple hours :beer:

You sick, sick person! :cry:
Did you call it names while you did that to it? Tell it that its a bad little 65 nm?
Yea, there were several names I had for it last night :p Especially when it didn't boot at first :(

OMG, My quad is sitting behind me, I think it just screamed "Why you horrible human, why!"

Dude... I've got money, but I still wouldn't have done this.
I don't have a lot of $, so I had to make due with what I had :)

Wow those pics look brutal. Pretty neat to see though. Was that one of those really nice cherry-picked quads?
It's a L737A832, which was supposed to have a VID of 1.200. However mine ended up having a 1.325 VID, so that make it expendable.

Hammer and chisel? how could you lol.
He used a dremel then got tired and used a blowtorch, then dumped LN2 on it, then hit it with a hammer.
Score +1 for Hazaro :D

Think he lapped too long on the 320 grit... ?
Heh, see the attached pic of what it looked like before I went crazy on it last night.

lol, can't you just use a razor blade on the glue and then use a small torch to desolder the cores....
Nope, thats almost a guaranteed fatality.

HAHA, that pic reminds me of Lord of the Rings, one of the Uruk-hai coming out of his cacoon to go kill some lovely little hobbits .. :p

Don't keep us in the dark much longer .. Does it work? What are temps like? Max OC?? :beer:
It works, haven't gotten to oc it yet, or monitor the temps. I can tell you though its running a TON cooler.

*whistles* brave, brave man. Hope it works :D
Thanks, I kinda questioned myself before starting it, but in the end it all worked out ;)

That takes some balls... At least this way, the S775 retention mechanism should still work. (i think) Subscribed
You actually have to remove the part of the retention bracket that locks the CPU down.

what a nice pair of...

thanks for the hardware pr0n :)

be careful mounting your cooler you crazy caucasian
Yep, "shes a hottie, shes a hottie, with a smokin' little body"

If you have "Macro" settings on your digi turn it on and retake the images. I want more detailed pics to look at. Mostly so I don't get to curious and try this myself! lol
Will do.

What the hell? Are you planning on just slapping a giant heatsink straight onto the cores?
I plan on still using my Apogee GT waterblock

Wow, just wow. Now that you have all of OCF on the edge of it's seat, you'd better get to work ;)
I'll get ocing results and stuff up as soon as I get the copper fence around the dies lowered down some more.

Attachments

• Eric's Pictures 054.jpg
    Eric's Pictures 054.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,325
Last edited:
Pretty sure the temp sensors got damaged :( The default voltage was 1.28 under load, I lowered it to 1.14, and started Priming. Coretemp is reading my temps as 96/96/71/71, and Realtemp is reading 91/91/64/64. However Prime is not erroring out, and the mobo hasn't shut down due to a CPU overheat.

Yep, although I couldn't all the crappy foil stuff off. Didn't want to risk damaging or scratching the dies. Also I should note that right now, its running without any thermalgoop. However I don't think that should make that big of an increase in temps, especially when I just took an ounce of copper off the chip. It's also still priming away with 1.14 under load :)

Lol, yea you have to be rough with them ;)

I just lowered it to 1.12 under load, and the temps are the exact same as with 1.14. Sadly it looks like they're shot.

Pretty sure the temp sensors got damaged :( The default voltage was 1.28 under load, I lowered it to 1.14, and started Priming. Coretemp is reading my temps as 96/96/71/71, and Realtemp is reading 91/91/64/64. However Prime is not erroring out, and the mobo hasn't shut down due to a CPU overheat.

That sounds strange to me. I thought the thermal sensors were integrated in with the IC circuitry. Can't imagine damaging them without damaging the chips. Are you sure that everything is seated well? Even at low volts, things can still get hot if your not drawing the heat away well.

Back