• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just removed the IHS from my Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A few more.

Attachments

• Picture 203 (Large).jpg
    Picture 203 (Large).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 3,749
  • Picture 204 (Large).jpg
    Picture 204 (Large).jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,027
  • Picture 208 (Large).jpg
    Picture 208 (Large).jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,056
  • Picture 207 (Large).jpg
    Picture 207 (Large).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Picture 213 (Large).jpg
    Picture 213 (Large).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,236
And last but not least :D Had to throw in the shot with a few of my empties ;)

Attachments

• Picture 192 (Large).jpg
    Picture 192 (Large).jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,001
  • Picture 215 (Large).jpg
    Picture 215 (Large).jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 988
  • Picture 217 (Large).jpg
    Picture 217 (Large).jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 999
  • Picture 211 (Large).jpg
    Picture 211 (Large).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,010
Looks like the cores still need some sanding/lapping, is it the reflection or are the surfaces still quite uneven?

So how are the temps?

Getting better. Have one die totally flat and shiny now, its temps are decent. Still working on getting the other die smooth. Not sure how much more I can lap before I break the die's surface and see the core :eek:

So, whose chip is next? ;)

Last edited:
just tell intel you got a faulty chip ....it was damaged during shipment....just make sure you use your tools to do the same to the box =D

now yeah back to your temps....did you fix that or what? or did you just do all of that for no reason @ all....and funny thing is my IHS doesnt have solder on it...it looks like if i put a razor under it i could pop it up....lol...maybe with the help of a blow torch

From the looks of how the guts are...i think you could of done that job with just 1 tool...maybe 2....a dremel and a razor...and maybe could of finished it in 1 hour if your careful

dude I was just googleing this because the B3 even on my water chiller runs HOT as hell. dude u gots some balls.

and because u put a pic up of u with the monster I thought i would put up a pic of me before I shave off the white trash mustache.
RED NECK UP!

waterchiller053.jpg

um why havent you taken those 2 silver things off to get to the cores, that is the whole reason you take an IHS off in the first place is so you can get direct contact with the cores, not some **** metal intel put there that is part of their IHS. Puts some AS5 on those cores and mount that water block and i bet you will get much better temps.

Good job man, removing the IHS takes balls. ;)

I know I wouldn't take a powertool within10 feet of my precious CPU :p

just found this thread and its awesome. you certainly do have a pair on u.

Back