• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long delay when quitting games to desktop! HELP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeaponX

Whenever I quit a game, my computer will lag for a good 20 - 30 seconds while it rebuilds the desktop. WHY?? I think I need more RAM, but that doesn't make much sense since I always have a good 50 MB free when I play games like CS. But when I quit, I have to wait. In sandra, my RAM benches about 400 MB/s less than what it should bench at. I'm running Windows XP Professional btw. Help please!:(

Last edited:
yea this is a very strange occurance with cs... a couple my friends systems seems to lag very badly when they try to exit. Im guess it would have something to do with the video drivers?

I've had the same problem with different drivers set's before. I've also fixed it by reinstalling window's as well. Probobly could be a number of things. Have you run defrag lately? A fragmented HD can cause this as well.

I'm running Det4 27.4s I think. I defragment my HD and run full Scan Disk about once every week or two. So I don't think that's the problem. I'm really thinking it's my RAM but I'm not sure at all.

You can try adding ram to see if that fixe's it. But I really think there's something else going on. I ran 256 megs of PC2100 for a long time. I don't remember it ever taking that long to exit a game. Sound's like there may be a lot of HD swapping going on. Or window's is having a hard time flushing out your ram.
I usually just end up reinstalling if I get a glitch like that I can't fix.

Do you have all your processes dissabled that you don't need? And do you have all the pretty little feature's disabled in XP? This will help free up a lot of system resource's and may help you out.

Last edited:
if you check out his sig, you'll see he has 256 mb of ram . . . :beer: anyway, like bdf24 said, all the eye candy can use a lot of ram . . . i like to have 512 mb total when i'm running xp, myself. it just seems to run smoother . . .

well, geez, what good are the sigs, then . . . you think they're there just so we can brag about our wonderful overclocking prowess and make flippant remarks and humorous quotes?!? hyuck . . . :D

Back