• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mass Effect 2 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I didn't even know you could fail the loyalty missions. What did you do?

Combat isn't harder in this game, it's just slower because you have to stay behind cover a lot more. In the first game without universal cooldowns you could run and spam your attacks, but you need to be more cautious and thoughtful in this game.

Tali for instance gets ****ed at you and you fail to gain her loyalty if you tell the tribunal that it was her father's fault in order to convince them not to exile her.

Again that's a matter of perspective. it might be the right thing to tell them. I had a high enough intimidate so I decided not to tell them, because I knew it would upset Tali.

I liked scanning the planets better than landing on them and finding the minerals that way. It doesn't take as long with the upgraded scanner. I actually found it almost addicting scanning the planets to get all of the upgrades.

Where/When do you get the upgraded scanner? I'll skip scanning planets unless I need resoruces to get the upgrade but I want. Doing some side missions and more loyalty missions currently. Still have yet to get the 3 other squad members.

Where/When do you get the upgraded scanner? I'll skip scanning planets unless I need resoruces to get the upgrade but I want. Doing some side missions and more loyalty missions currently. Still have yet to get the 3 other squad members.

I think you have to talk to one of your crew members. I can't remember which one atm, but it makes scanning go a lot more quickly.

Miranda has the upgraded scanner.

does anyone know who the voice is for the codex guides? i think this is the same guy that is on some PBS Nova episodes.

edit: i found it. his name is Neil Ross

Last edited:
Miranda has the upgraded scanner.

Yup just got it last night doing her Loyalty mission. Yeah that does help out lots. Man that would of been so helpful earlier.

BTW I'm I the only one that has an absured amount of Irridium/the other P one (forgot it off hand). There just seem to get a load of Irridium expecially. Got nearly 250k of it, and 180k of the second P one. Not the Platinum, which it seems like never have enough of.

Yup just got it last night doing her Loyalty mission. Yeah that does help out lots. Man that would of been so helpful earlier.

BTW I'm I the only one that has an absured amount of Irridium/the other P one (forgot it off hand). There just seem to get a load of Irridium expecially. Got nearly 250k of it, and 180k of the second P one. Not the Platinum, which it seems like never have enough of.

Element Zero is the most rare but a few planets have good sources of it. Some planets have copius amounts of Platinum but Iridium and the other one (name I forget) can be found in abundance.

Element Zero is the most rare but a few planets have good sources of it. Some planets have copius amounts of Platinum but Iridium and the other one (name I forget) can be found in abundance.

I found, rarity wise, the left most is rarest, and rightmost is most abundant.

Before I jumped through the Omega 4 relay I was trying to get 100% with every system. I ended up with 40K Element Zero and >150k of pretty much everything else. (I was hoping for some kind of change out or who the hell knows what. I did need more credits though, I wish I could have sold Platinum...)

Eezo is kind of rare, but you don't need lots of it for all the upgrades. I can't find it now, but I read that you don't need more than 100k (150k?) of the other ones to complete all possible upgrades.

[Element Zero, Iridium, Platinum, Palladium] for reference.

I've scanned about half of my area so far. Maybe a little less and I know I've found over 50k Element Zero. Still have 20-25k left.

One thing I found intresting with scanning. Even though a planet might say Depleted, if you can still find very large deposits of minerals on the planet. I seem to break up planets into 4 area's when scanning and my last area sometimes just dropping a single probe there can make it the planet Depleted.

I've scanned about half of my area so far. Maybe a little less and I know I've found over 50k Element Zero. Still have 20-25k left.

One thing I found intresting with scanning. Even though a planet might say Depleted, if you can still find very large deposits of minerals on the planet. I seem to break up planets into 4 area's when scanning and my last area sometimes just dropping a single probe there can make it the planet Depleted.

My process, set my dpi to high, and peel the apple, so to speak (rotate around the entire planet). Then, I find areas that look strangely unflagged, and double check them until it's poor or depleted.

My process, set my dpi to high, and peel the apple, so to speak (rotate around the entire planet). Then, I find areas that look strangely unflagged, and double check them until it's poor or depleted.

Scanning without the upgraded scanner is kind of annoying, but with the faster scanner its cake.

Secondly, I think there are enough planets in the galaxy to just scan the Rich/Good ones and only probe the highest peak points. Also, if you get the extra star charts in Illium I would almost guarantee this.

Scanning without the upgraded scanner is kind of annoying, but with the faster scanner its cake.

Secondly, I think there are enough planets in the galaxy to just scan the Rich/Good ones and only probe the highest peak points. Also, if you get the extra star charts in Illium I would almost guarantee this.

Yeah the starcharts are cheap. Can't beat the price if you need some more locations to scan, at what 500 a pop.

Well got throught the game the other night. Finished up all side missions that I had following the end game (only had 3 mini ones). Overall + in my book. Took me 34hours 2min according to my last save to be done with the game. Got most achivements as well few out there I need to work on since I didn't understand how to do some of them til near end game.

The romance portion of it, instead of going for Kelly in the end, Miranda wanted me so figured why not. Can always get Kelly another time. Though it also seems like Jack would even go for me at one point before I really started get it on with Miranda as well. Not sure if Tali would be intrested or not either.
So hooking up with Miranda, you get it on action in the engine room right before the suicide mission after everyone is abducted.

Overall game seemed well done, few little glitches I noticed in the latter half of the game dealing with character dialogs. Some spots where the character I was talking to would be invisable. As well during a few scense there was points where audio dropped out and picked back up. This was on the X360 version so not sure if it was just a glitch or not.

I played as a Solider, which seems to give great variaty of weapons. Seems though at least compared to ME1, there seems to be a greater differences between classes which I like now that I'll have to look into checking out other classes and playing those as well.

Curious to how others ended the game. I personally saved the station yet when you talk to crew mates, they all seem to think it wasn't the best choice. Though if I destroyed it Im sure they would say similar things as well. Oh and it really does suck that you don't have much team time with Legion.

Have to say very well done game IMO. Worth the cash once again and one of the few games im looking forward to replaying again. Is there any classes that you've guys enjoyed playing that I might have to look at? Looking to play on Insanity this play through. Give me a little more challenege.

I played as a Solider, which seems to give great variaty of weapons. Seems though at least compared to ME1, there seems to be a greater differences between classes which I like now that I'll have to look into checking out other classes and playing those as well.

Have to say very well done game IMO. Worth the cash once again and one of the few games im looking forward to replaying again. Is there any classes that you've guys enjoyed playing that I might have to look at? Looking to play on Insanity this play through. Give me a little more challenege.

I am on my second time through, Paragon Adept Male on Insane. It is rather... insane. Actually, I am really enjoying it, a real challenge after playing soldier on veteran. That wasnt hard, but at the same time, it wasn't really a cake walk either. Good difficulty. Now this on the other hand. Gotta be good to do Adept (perhaps some other classes too) on insane.

I am on my second time through, Paragon Adept Male on Insane. It is rather... insane. Actually, I am really enjoying it, a real challenge after playing soldier on veteran. That wasnt hard, but at the same time, it wasn't really a cake walk either. Good difficulty. Now this on the other hand. Gotta be good to do Adept (perhaps some other classes too) on insane.

Vanguard was a pita even on veteran. :blah:

Vanguard wasn't so tough once I got the assault rifle. The shotgun like I've said before is pretty much a waste of time, the smg and pistol have much better range. And most of the combat is behind cover from a good distance from the enemies. Playing this game makes me wish that you could talk in Dragon Age even more. It never felt right how the conversations worked the same way, but you can't talk.

Back