• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mass Effect 2 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thermalclipexplanation.jpg

The thermal clips are a huge step backwards technology wise. The more advanced guns in the first game wouldn't overheat at all unless you were trying. Not only that but the biotic and tech powers have a universal cooldown in me2, it's very annoying. It is nice being able to aim, but the ammo supply is too smal for shotguns and sniper rifles. I was a vanguard and rarely used my shotgun. I'm glad I was able to learn to use assault rifles because they are the best weapons again.

Ditto on the shotgun. I learned the Krogan Shotgun Spec, and it was fun, but not really useful. I rarely used a shotgun even after Charging into combat. The SMG and Pistol stole the show for me. That and Shockwave which was absolutely a blast to use.

I'll have to learn Assault Rifles on my second playthrough.

If I recall, when you get the ammo capacity upgrades for shotguns you carry 40 rounds instead of 15.

By that time I had the assault rifle anyway so it didn't matter. The range for the shotgun is still quite poor.

Also the codex entry for the thermal clips sounds nice, but it's still a step back and would have never been implemented. Bioware just wanted another shooter element. It wasn't that hard to keep the gun from overheating especially the spectre weapons.

On Jacob's side quest the people have been trapped there for 10 years but the weapons were changed only two years ago. However they have the thermal clips. There's no way to explain this.

Last edited:
I'd take the risk of sabotage over the chance that you are outnumbered, outgunned and are running low on thermal clips. Shepard probably wouldn't survive in the war hero or sole survivor backgrounds if he had to worry about thermal clips.

I got stuck in this game SO MANY TIMES. I had to reload quite a few times because of this.

Most of the time, It would happen when I would cover against a wall, and I'd move over to I can get closer to the door way, and It would sometimes cause me to walk UP the wall. Could never get back down. Had to reload.

Also had this happen when I was on a planet where a ship fell and crashed on the ledge of a cliff, and you have to walk along the beams to get to the computer in the back. I was literally on the last beam, headed to the terminal, when it happened. I was stuck walking ABOVE the beams and platforms, and could only walk in spots where there was nothing under my feet. I was literally only 20 feet away from the damn terminal.

But other than the walking through / over / between walls in the game, I didn't notice any other bugs. But that's me. Some people had other bugs.

One problem people are / were having is REALLY REALLY long loading times. They found out this was a multi-core processor problem. So if you are having VERY long load times, once your in the game, Minimize it ( ALT+TAB ) then go into your task manager ( CTRL+ALT+DEL, or right click your taskbar and go to the task manager ). Then go to processes. Find MassEffect2.exe. Right click it, then click "Set Affinity". Uncheck your 2nd processor core. Hit "OK". Then Right click MassEffect.exe in the task manager again, and do the same thing, but this time, turn the 2nd core back on, and hit ok.

Bring the game back up, and see if the load times are better.

Also, I've been messing around with the .ini files, changing some stuff in the game. I've made the game look MUCH better ( in my opinion. ) Turning off Depth Of Field really helps you see a lot detail in the textures. With it on ( which it is by default ), it makes everything much darker than it should be ( changing your gamma settings won't fix it. )

I also greatly increased the resolution of the shadows. God, the shadows look MUCH better now. Tried increasing the resolution of some of the textures. I think it helped a bit...But it's hard to notice. Also turned off VSync ( it's on be default ). That increased my average Frame Rate by 12 FPS. ( even after I did the shadow enhancement, and other tweaks. ) But with VSync off, you can't use Film Grain or Motion blur. Evidently those need Vsync. But I don't use them anyways.

Zex, care to give some pointers on how you changed these settings?

Motion blur seems to be on even though I've forced off Vsync. Film grain I can't tell.

Zex, care to give some pointers on how you changed these settings?

Motion blur seems to be on even though I've forced off Vsync. Film grain I can't tell.

go to C/Users/name/My Documents/Bioware/Mass Effect 2/BIOgame/config

In there should be an ini file called "GamerSettings"

Under the System Settings, you just manually add in the changes you want. Just open it with Notepad.

If you want to remove VSync, Type in

UseVSync=False
ForceFullVSync=False

Then save. That will force the game to turn VSync off. But if you turned motion blur off, it should be off. That setting only takes effect when you pan the camera around anyways. Film grain adds a bit of static to the overall screen. Personally, I hate film grain. It's fine for a Modern Warfare type game. But for a futuristic game...bleh.

Well, after 27 hours I've finally beaten it.

I tried to make decisions realstically. To be honest, I wanted to take more time at it, but I sort of got forced into going after the collectors seeing as how they abducted my crew. Thankfully I got everyone out, seemingly. I lost two people along the way though. *sigh*

Thane and Legion. Thane was a big meh, very boring. Legion on the other hand, he was awesome.

Well, after 27 hours I've finally beaten it.

I tried to make decisions realstically. To be honest, I wanted to take more time at it, but I sort of got forced into going after the collectors seeing as how they abducted my crew. Thankfully I got everyone out, seemingly. I lost two people along the way though. *sigh*

Thane and Legion. Thane was a big meh, very boring. Legion on the other hand, he was awesome.

:O! You let thane die??? WHYYY? He was awesome! Couldn't you have let grunt die instead? :(

There is a way to save everyone (since you get an achivement for it) but I can't seem to figure out what combination of people you use. I know you use jack as the biotic to protect you from the swams but after that I'm not sure :(
Hopefully someone can help me :)

:O! You let thane die??? WHYYY? He was awesome! Couldn't you have let grunt die instead? :(

There is a way to save everyone (since you get an achivement for it) but I can't seem to figure out what combination of people you use. I know you use jack as the biotic to protect you from the swams but after that I'm not sure :(
Hopefully someone can help me :)

Easy

I got it correct my 1st time, without looking anything up. I just made the choices that made sense.

1 - Pick Tali for the tunnels thingy. You need to use her or legion, since their hacking skill is the best.

2 - Pick Garrus to lead the Fire team.

Then..

3 - Use jack or the Asari lady to protect you with the field ( I used jack, But I heard the Asari lady works as well. )

4 - pick Jacob to take the crew members back to the ship.

5 - Again, Pick Garrus to lead the fire team to hold back the collectors as you head for the final boss.

I kept Legion and Grunt with me the entire time, And I got everyone to live. I also had all their loyalty missions done, so that helped as well. ( The only Loyalty mission I failed at, was Zaeed's mission. But He still lived, so it's all good. )

Hope that helps.

Does that mean you can also save Kelly + other crew? It's worth loosing a few people for them :)

Also I don't have Miranda and Samara's loyalty (I took jacks side and don't have time for Samaras mission before leaving.) Will this make a difference?

Sorry I didn't put the /spoiler at the end the first time :p

Last edited:
Does that mean you can also save Kelly + other crew? It's worth loosing a few people for them :)

Also I don't have Miranda and Samara's loyalty (I took jacks side and don't have time for Samaras mission before leaving.) Will this make a difference?
Sometimes you get lucky, and even if you didn't to someone's loyalty mission, They can still come out of the final mission alive. People are still trying to figure out ALL the requirements for someone to live / die.

Also, if you have a high enough paragon / Renegade, you can make jack and Miranda calm down, without choosing sides. But it's MUCH easier to get the renegade option, than it is the paragon option. You have to have like an 80% paragon score to get it. The Renegade option, you only need like 50% Luckily, I had enough renegade ( barely had enough though ).

And to save kelly + the other crew, you *HAVE* to go do the omega mission AS SOON AS YOU GET IT!. the instant they are taken, GO SAVE THEM. Do not do ANY other side missions. At least, that's what everyone has been saying. But yes, you CAN save EVERYONE. But you can't fool around. You need to do everyone's loyalty mission, Get as many ship upgrades as possible ( Note: you get another shield upgrade for the ship during Legion's loyalty mission. It's at a computer terminal that you need to hack ). And then do the final mission as soon as you get it.

I still have a save file from right before I grabbed Tali. I'm tempted to load it up, and try to do everyone's side mission, and save Kelly + the crew. It would only take me a couple hours or so to do it. I may do it later though. I got me some Star Trek Online to play!

Hmm I may have to try that sometime. I always play games for like a week straight then I won't play it for the next few months :p
I will go back to this though, it's so worth it.

Back