• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory type unknown after flashing bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

w1cked91

Registered
Hello,

I have an issue with my GTX Strix 1080 (STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING) after flashing vbios. Memory type is "Unknown" according to GPU-Z and my memory clock is locked to 405 Mhz. (see pictures in attachment)

I already tried to revert to original bios (86.04.17.00.E3) but it does not fix the problem.

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this problem ?

Thank you in advance,

EDIT: Cross-posted at another site as well: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...nown-after-flashing-bios.241476/#post-3798310

Attachments

• gpu.gif
    gpu.gif
    44.3 KB · Views: 4,698
  • 405.gif
    405.gif
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,640
Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried flashing a different STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING bios version aside from the original? Pretty vague post as you don't state which bios exactly you used to get this problem along with the method and where you got the bios file from. Pretty moot at this point tho. So your only hope is using a different strix bios version and hope for the best. If it doesn't fix the problem, then you're SOL and stuck with a paper weight.

Good luck.

I dont see where it isnt working, just not reading his memory type in gpuz.

That said, what motherboard and cpu is this on?

Edit...oops... 405 mhz memory... i see.

the core is in 2d clocks, so maybe the ram hasnt ramped up... run the pcie test in gpuz and see if it kicks the memory up. Or play a game for a few minutes with gpuz running then look at the sensors and see if it ramped up.

The gpu is working but it is never going above 405 Mhz, even in game or under heavy load it remains stuck @405Mhz.

I tried to reflash using NVIDIA NVFlash 5.427.0 with bios https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/185903/asus-gtx1080-8192-160630. (I also tried some STRIX OC bios : https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?did=10DE-1B80-1043-8594) but same result.

I'd like to understand why my gpu is not capable of going above 405Mhz and if it is related to some memory issue.

My MoBo is : Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 / Proc : i7 8700k.

I'd like to understand why my gpu is not capable of going above 405Mhz and if it is related to some memory issue.
its related borking the bios when flashing if it isnt ramping up... if reflashing it wont work, im not sure what you can do.

Curious. Why did you try flash8ng your gpu in the first place??

Memory clock is not ramping up in game or using gpu z test. Even on Asus GPU Tweak II tool, I get the same result @405Mhz.

Besides, Memory default clock should be 1251 Mhz but mine is set to 5005 Mhz (see below example of what I should get) :

AUS-GTX-1080-Strix-A8G-gpuz.jpg

GDDR is QUAD data rate so it seems its showing a multiple of that.

Again, the bios flash clearly messed things up with card. Hopefully someone knows a different method which may help if your reflash to stock bios didnt work? Otherwise, tou are out of luck man.

Do you know if there is a way / someone to get me its stock bios for STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING except using the one from techpowerup ?

Should have a problem with mine..

Are you flashing in Windows? Win flash or CMD line and are you disabling the graphics driver prior to flashing?

Yes I am flashing on windows with the latest version of NVFlash. I also disabled gpu from device manager prior to flashing.

I'm at a loss. If you can get a clean file from ASUS then try that but I think you might have to RMA this GPU to get it fixed. Have you ever flashed from DOS? That might get you somewhere. Very similar, you need a bootable thumb drive but the commands are the same just by passes windows

Okay I’ll try that. What would be the difference of Flashing in Windows vs DOS according to you ?

The absence of windows and anything related to windows that could interfere with the flashing.

Ideal conditions is to flash in the BIOS. Though windows has been better and flashing software has been better where it can be done in Windows and not be as much of an issue.

Though the weird memory locking at a low frequency (2D Idle) seems like something happened to the P-State almost on the memory side of things.

Okay I’ll try that. What would be the difference of Flashing in Windows vs DOS according to you ?

The 'Go to' guys taught me years ago to NEVER flash a BIOS in Winderz and I have seen why many times. Good luck on your fix.

I might be wrong but isnt there 2 versions of ram for the 1080 ? Samsung and Micron ? I think you need to try the other type from what you used . Techpowerup should have a few different versions of bios for your card .

I might be wrong but isnt there 2 versions of ram for the 1080 ? Samsung and Micron ? I think you need to try the other type from what you used . Techpowerup should have a few different versions of bios for your card .

I think this is only the case for the 1070.. gtx 1080 has only GDDR5X Micron Memory.

I am still stuck with that issue. It seems like the gpu memory clock is stuck at p8 state : 405 MHz (however, core clock is working fine).. and can never rampup above that value.

Does it mean the gpu memory is faulty ? Is there a way to fix that ?

Back