• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory type unknown after flashing bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Read the quoted text.

Its been asked multiple times WHY you decided to flash the bios to begin with. What problem were you having BEFORE flashing the bios that made you decide to try flashing the bios?

It helps knowing more about your scenario.

I had no problem, I just wanted to flash with an OC version of my card to gain an extra boost.

Did you use the override comand since you were changing device ID

There really was no need to flash the card as the STRIX is a beast of a card to begin with. All you had to do was overclock it. I can understand flashing a lower end 1080 to get that, but a high end card like yours was a waste.

Now you've not only voided your warranty, but there is no reversal for your issue. You can keep trying to flash it with other bioses, but in the end your card is borked.

Also pascal cards are auto overclocking. Reflashing to an OC version only changes the BASE clocks. Your running clocks are probably identical if you haven’t applied any offsets and aren’t hitting thermal throttling.

Flash back to your stick bios. You’re just asking for trouble flashing a different cards bios.

I see you did try to flash back the stock bios.

Where did you obtain your stock bios? Did you back it up directly from your card before the first flash? Or did you download the bios from somewhere that said it was for your same card?

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also try using GPUTweaks bios update see if it can find and flash the proper BIOS for you.
Unlike some I flash a lot of graphics cards. (even my 1 hour old 1080 Ti Strix) Haven't had a bad flash but have had the cards fail and ASUS has honored the RMA for me twice now even though the original BIOS wasn't on the card.

Also pascal cards are auto overclocking. Reflashing to an OC version only changes the BASE clocks. Your running clocks are probably identical if you haven’t applied any offsets and aren’t hitting thermal throttling.
Boost clocks are probably higher too (assuming its a faster bios). The boost tables and such change as well. Ive flashed plenty (ok, 3) nvidia gpus with a faster bios and each raised the actual/live boost clocks from the previous bios. ;)

yeah, but the auto overclocking even pushes you past boost clocks too. so again unless youre hitting thermal limits, you'll still clock to the same speeds,

'Auto overclocking' = boost.

Not in my experience. Each time my actual/live clocks were higher when flashed with a faster bios. Granted, it wasnt much, 20-30mhz on core, but that was still faster than the default BIOSes. ;)

Please note i am saying LIVE/ACTUAL clocks, not what boost says in gpuz.

True depending the the actual BIOS and what limitations might be removed/loosened such as TDP. Many new cards are close to their max TDP at stock

'Auto overclocking' = boost.

not entirely true. Auto overclocking will go beyond boost clocks if you have thermal and power headroom

my 1080 FTW has boost clocks at 1860MHz, however, while gaming and other loads, i almost always see over 2000MHz with no applied offsets or manual overclocking.

Can this card be sent back to Nvidia for a non-warranty paid repair? Is so that's what I would do and just chalk it up to 'lessons learned.'

I think this is only the case for the 1070.. gtx 1080 has only GDDR5X Micron Memory.

I am still stuck with that issue. It seems like the gpu memory clock is stuck at p8 state : 405 MHz (however, core clock is working fine).. and can never rampup above that value.

Does it mean the gpu memory is faulty ? Is there a way to fix that ?

There is two versions one with 11gbps and one with 8gbps bandwith maybe try some different bios's
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?manufacturer=Asus&model=GTX+1080

Back