• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most Accurate readings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mobius1

What is the most accurate method of CPU Temperatures?? Is the BIOS real accurate?? My comp is water cooled and the temp probe that is on the waterblock reads about 10 degrees C cooler than what the BIOS temp says. When the system is underload, It doesn't change much maybe a degree or so. Which one should I trust?

If one temperature is not responding to load changes, that is a pretty good sign that the sensor is not giving good readings.

The bios is not "real accurate" - it's basically the same as reading from a program within windows, except there is less load on the processor in bios.

External probes are generally worse than internal ones, socket thermistors are notoriously inaccurate and the interpretation of their readings is different with every different motherboard.

If you have a CPU and mobo that supports on-die readings, that is about as good as you can do as far as temp accuracy goes in a real system.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Abit nf7-S supports it. At least I'm pretty sure it does. It has a little green thing sticking up in the center of the cpu socket. Also both of them change at the same time. If my external probe reads 32 degrees C then my BIOS will read 42. No matter what kind of load I have on it won't change more than a few degrees. I'm not really too concerned about it just as long as its stable.

Thanks

Back