• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My K7T Pro2-A is dead isn't it ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Blazer

I think my K7T Pro2-A is somewhat dead. :mad:

It was an home server running Windows 2000. I was encoding some stuff on it via terminal server when it disappeared from the network.

I went in the basement (where it is) and I saw that the hard disk LED was lit but the hard disk wasn't working.

I pressed reset. Nothing happened. I held the power switch 4 sec and it closed. I started the computer again, the HD LED lit and nothing happed (it didn't post, I didn't here the beep). I plugged an old monitor that was next to it to see what was going on and I didn't get any vga signal.

I held the power switch 4 sec and it closed. I restarted the computer. It posted, yeah ! Windows 2k started, then blue screened (doh) before reaching the logon screen (kernel error or something).

I unplugged the computer and took it to my room.

Now, I have unplugged every IDE device. I finaly have a keyboard plugged in bug when I go in the bios, it freeze after the 15-20 sec (and reset doesn't work). I have tried to reset the CMOS, but it didn't help. Voltage seem good in PC Health (at least for 20 sec), it using a 300W Antec power suply.

When I boot sometime I don't get a signal and no post beep. I once had an alarm (1 tone, repeating very fast).

It's dead isn't it ?

Oh boy this is going to be a pain to replace...

How hard was it overclocked?

Check all the capacitors for signs of swelling or leakage.

This has been a serious problem over the last few years with Asian mobos. Who else makes 'em LOL.

It wasn't overclocked (it's WAS server after all).

No leaking or weird smell.

It's not the PSU, not the video card, not the ram...

It's either the TBird 900 or the mobo, and I vote mobo...

If you have to buy a new server board, why not get a dually. If you got the MSI K7D Master-L, you could overclock it :p

BTW what do you use your server for?

It's more like a file server, I also encode TV shows in divx on it, but speed really isn't important...

I don't plan to overclock it either, in the server world, stablility is king !

Duallies are more stable in my experience. If one CPU gets locked by a process, the other can help set it free.

Right now, I just want an other board that support the old TBird and my 512 meg of PC133...

I'm going the check if I can RMA it (it was bought in december 2000).

Audioaficionado said:
Duallies are more stable in my experience. If one CPU gets locked by a process, the other can help set it free.

but then again that depends. encoding, or at least the encoding i do, i can't benefit from smp.

I have experienced the same type of problem you described with two K7N2 boards.

At first i thought it was me becasue i was overclocking and when it booted up i got a blank screen and no POST beep. I cleared the CMOS and still had no luck. I thought it was my fault because i didn't give the board enough time to discharge after i unpluged the power from it. This was with a board that i ordered from newegg.

So the the next day i went to Frys to get another board, i couldn't wait to send the other back. Well the same exact thing happened. I was overclocking and made some changes to FSB and then when it re-booted i got a blank screen, so i cleared the CMOS making sure i had unplegged the power and the board was fully discharged and once again i got no video, or POST beep.

Now i am afraid to even go into the bios and start adjusting settings in fear of the same thing happening. I am just going to wait about a week before i attempt it againg and if it happens one more time it's goodby to MSI and hello to ABIT.

Nforce2 mobos (including Abit Nf7) all have a nasty bios corruption problem too. If you lose power while saving your BIOS changes, it hoses the CMOS data beyond recouping through the discharge reset. You have to put another programed CMOS to post and boot with, then hot swap the corrupted one back in and reflash in windows.

Could you get a spare pre-flashed CMOS to try out in your board? They usually are less than $20.

2A

I just put a new drive in my 2A this week......... both caps above
AGP slot starting to leak.... Purchased in Mar...... 2001
Stable board! Just ordered new board yesterday.

Abit got burned bad by the leaking cap issue. I'm pretty sure they got better caps in their boards now.

Re: 2A

Rrm688 said:
I just put a new drive in my 2A this week......... both caps above
AGP slot starting to leak.... Purchased in Mar...... 2001
Stable board! Just ordered new board yesterday.

Ordered by RMA or you bought a new one ?

2A

2A was purchased new retail....... Ordered a NF2 SPP K7N2-L (6570-010) refurb $59 & 1700 XP from new egg... hopefully arrive before these caps let go. Sorry for the delay in reply.

The Blazer said:
I just give a lower priority to the encoder thread... It's a lot cheaper. :D

Which codec do you use and which encoding software ?

lol, nothing to talk about here, but i do a lot of svcd encoding with various apps... and then a lot of converting divx to svcd etc. mostly all music related stuff.

Back