• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My performance doesn't seem right

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xSean

Hey, everyone!
I recently decided to get a gaming PC after having a crappy Toshiba laptop. After watching numerous videos on how games run on different GPU's, I decided that the GTX 760 was the best card for my budget. So I got the card, popped it in my PC, and bought a couple games on Steam. I bought Saints Row 4 to try it out after watching this video:

My options menu match him/her exactly and I rarely reach 60 FPS, especially in the city. My FPS for the most part is 30-45, which for me just feels gross. They say that the minimum FPS they got was 51, where that would be my max. I get no where near an average of 67 FPS.
I'm using the latest nvidia driver and latest BIOS driver. I don't know what part of my PC is holding me back.

Here are the rest of my specs:
GPU: MSI GTX 760 OC Gaming 2GB
CPU: FX-8320 Stock
RAM: 1x8GB HyperX
PSU: Ultra HS750 750 Watt
MOBO: Asus M5A78L-M LX Plus

Two things come to mind, #1 being the single stick of RAM... I would definitely grab a 2nd stick for dual channel, if it were me anyway.

And also, you run an AMD cpu. Saints Row 4 is very single thread dependent... Something AMD's FX line severely lacks and part of why I try to push people to just grabbing an Intel when possible. You can see my attached picture to get a feel for what I mean. Also, that youtube vid is about an Intel i7 3770k, something that offers quite a bit more in terms of performance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 43
Two things come to mind, #1 being the single stick of RAM... I would definitely grab a 2nd stick for dual channel, if it were me anyway.

And also, you run an AMD cpu. Saints Row 4 is very single thread dependent... Something AMD's FX line severely lacks and part of why I try to push people to just grabbing an Intel when possible. You can see my attached picture to get a feel for what I mean. Also, that youtube vid is about an Intel i7 3770k, something that offers quite a bit more in terms of performance.

I agree about getting a second stick of RAM. The MOBO came bundled with it, haha.

Also, what about this video:
He's using a 8150 and getting a solid 60.

My advice would be to stop relying on youtube videos where people can easily lie about, well, anything. Not all people will make a vid and lie, but I've seen plenty that run "High" settings and claim in vids to be running "Ultra" or "maxxed settings". It's an e-peen thing.

What you CAN do, is overclock your cpu and gpu to get a better fps increase you are looking for. That's what I would do if I had an FX chip, especially the 8320, such a good chip for it's price that begs for an overclock.

Are you getting lag that is causing issue? I would think that fps is more than fine.

lets beak down what sobe said and see what it might mean to you.
your game is single thread, it uses one core, you have 8.
your cpu cores are paired, go into bios and disable 6 of those heat producing cores.

your cpu lacks in single thread throughput, depending on your cooling, cutting it back to 2 cores might allow you clock the 2 cores up some and gain some throughput, increasing your fps.

the single stick of ram is an issue, not a huge issue, but an issue.

Back