• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Q6600 g0 on an Ubercomputer (3dmark06: better than 100% of all systems tested)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
shirker said:
yeah I know, I too would want to get a stable cpu overclock before moving onto anything else. Was just hoping to get a preliminary glimpse at how the 8800 Ultras overclock, and you gave me an answer

actually the instability at higher clock speeds may have been due to other reasons... but I know for SURE that the gpu's werent stable t 675 at all.... this is primarily because one of my gpus runs much much hotter than the other. I have heard reports of people breaking the 700 barrier with single 8800's...

Oh, and I'm priming stable at 1.4vcore 3.2ghz, the stability issues were with the nb, sb..etc voltage. I'm running the following voltages:

CPU CORE: 1.4v
CPU FSB: 1.5v (max)
Memory 2.2v (stock)
nforce SPP: 1.55v (max)
nForce MCP: 1.7 (.05 below max)
HT nForce SPP <-> MCP: 1.40 ( .15 below max)

I'm now priming it at 3.3ghz stable but the voltage is set to 1.575, I believe i've hit the wall with this processor, but we'll have to see about it...

Edit: apparently the crashes are semi random as I have been able to prime for 10 mintues at 1.5v.... I think I can lower this even more...

Edit2: primed for another 10 minutes at 1.45... the crashes are definately not cpu based.... I have to figure out what's crashing me before I can continue to test the max oc of this proc.

Last edited:
Send me both of those Ultras and I'll throw a couple water blocks on em, crank my qx back up to 4.3 and own that ORB!

Ok, I'm pretty sure that whatever is causing the crashes is related to the Nvidia raid controller as most of the crashes seem to be HD related.... its either the MCP or the SPP...

Edit: I haven't found the problem to my crashes, but I have benched this g0 stable at 1.4vcore at 3.3v... I'm pretty sure I can drop this some more...

edit2: Aside from the random non-cpu crashes, I have managed to bump the vcore down to 1.3625v and still run at 3.3ghz... I'm still running the prime95 tests as I recieved a cpu related error at 1.35 stock voltage.

Last edited:
Hmmm... maybe it's not the revised version? I dunno, sounds like it's the same wall I'm hitting with the 680i.

apparently it was a bad motherboard... so I RMA'd it...

only to get another bad motherboard :( This one overclocks way better than the original and runs phenomenal until I shut the computer off... it wont turn back on... I have to wait a day or sometimes an hour for it to turn back on...

So I RMA again...

FINALLY! A good motherboard, I'm not priming stable at 3.7ghz

9 x 412.5 = 3712.5

FSB 1650

coretemp shows:

core0: 77C
core1: 72C
core2: 72C
core3: 77C

Nvidia monitor shows: 67C

My vcore is around 1.5 although in the bios I have it set at 1.587

I haven't pushed it to its limit yet.... I'm not sure I want to take this to its limit.... I'm already scared of the voltage i'm pumping through this thing and the temps arent looking too great either

the latest cpuz detects 1.512... is this a dangerous voltage for a g0 6600?

I had to increase the voltage in bios to 1.6 but as I said above cpuz detects 1.512, temps as follows:

core0: 79C
core1: 73C
core2: 73C
core3: 79C

Nvidia monitor: 70C

Last edited:
the latest cpuz detects 1.512... is this a dangerous voltage for a g0 6600?

I had to increase the voltage in bios to 1.6 but as I said above cpuz detects 1.512, temps as follows:

core0: 79C
core1: 73C
core2: 73C
core3: 79C

Nvidia monitor: 70C

Is this under Prime stability check? The vcore itself is not too high if you are on water but your temps are pretty high, mine for example is at 1.5V (real), 1.52V (BIOS) but my temps are about 10C lower. I would not feel comfortable running my quad at those temps with 1.51V vcore.

Also that is some massive vdroop you got there, what board do you have again?

yes this is under prime stability check running on all cores...

well I'm not running water, but the abosolute best air...

Ultra 120 Extreme with 2 75cfm 120mm fans running in a push/pull config.

And the board is an EVGA one, forget which but its listed in the newegg link on the original post.

Try this vdroop mod for you board which should eliminate nearly all vdroop and will allow you to set vcore lower in the BIOS... nonetheless your temps will not improve much because the CPU still needs the same amount of voltage under load whether the board is vdrooping a lot or not.

I still think you are pushing your cpu temps a bit much and you would probably be better off backing off a little. What is your clock speed again 3.7GHz? You could try just running it at 3.6GHz which at least on my system requires much less juice 1.43V and allows you to run much cooler. 100MHz isnt going to make much difference anyway.

Try this vdroop mod for you board which should eliminate nearly all vdroop and will allow you to set vcore lower in the BIOS... nonetheless your temps will not improve much because the CPU still needs the same amount of voltage under load whether the board is vdrooping a lot or not.

I still think you are pushing your cpu temps a bit much and you would probably be better off backing off a little. What is your clock speed again 3.7GHz? You could try just running it at 3.6GHz which at least on my system requires much less juice 1.43V and allows you to run much cooler. 100MHz isnt going to make much difference anyway.

You're right... I wasn't completely comfortable running at those temps... but what vdroop mod are you talking about? You didn't post a link or anything...

I'm now at 3.6 and 1.464v under cpuz... 1.55 bios, but this is just initial, I'm going to keep dropping it till I crash then raise it a little..

Ermm a bit random... but why would you spend $3500+ and just get a Q6600? Faster cpu's out there.... wel not by that much, but still...

Ermm a bit random... but why would you spend $3500+ and just get a Q6600? Faster cpu's out there.... wel not by that much, but still...

Thats exactly right... not by that much... and I'm now running faster than any stock retail quad core processor currently in existence.

Not only are they not that much faster running stock, but they cost exponentially more... I would have had to spend 500 more bucks for just a few more mhz that I've way exceeded now anyways... its just a waste of money.

Link to the mod?

anyways, im running 3.6 at 1.513 bios 1.44 cpuz... anything less than this and it crashes.... one of my cores will... its a finicky core :/

Temps as follows:

core0: 63C
core1: 59C
core2: 61C
core3: 62C

nvidia monitor: 54C

I'm MUCH more comfortable with these temperatures... Maybe I should do 3.65ghz and see if thats comfortable?

anyways, im running 3.6 at 1.513 bios 1.44 cpuz... anything less than this and it crashes.... one of my cores will... its a finicky core :/

Temps as follows:

core0: 63C
core1: 59C
core2: 61C
core3: 62C

nvidia monitor: 54C

I'm MUCH more comfortable with these temperatures... Maybe I should do 3.65ghz and see if thats comfortable?

those temps look good :beer:

Back