• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a Recommendation on a H2O setup for Dual NV6800 GT's (SLI) and an AMD FX-55

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Idle Temps (nTune)...

IdleTempsm.jpg

Single GPU Load Temps (Running RTHDRIBL & nTune)...

1GPUBurnsm.jpg

Highest GPU Temp (Display Properties) Note that the ambient (RAM) temp is higher than the GPU!

RTHDRIBLsm.jpg

I ran RTHDRIBL for 15 minutes for the above tests. The difference between Idle and Load seems too low... I am installing Half-Life 2 now to test temps with SLI. :D

Last edited:
I think this setup looks alright. Personally I would have gone with the two GPU's in parrallel. The tubbinig does look kind of bad because of the type of tubbing that it is. But atleast you won't have to worry about it kinking. But the looks of the tubbing dosent really matter since you are not displaying the insides of the comp. That rad looks kind of small for all that you have going on in there. But the temps are good though. Over all, great job. Makes me want to do that dual SLI thing.

Last edited:
GPU1 : Half-Life 2 for 15 mins with SLI enabled...
desktop.jpg

GPU1 : Prime95 + RTHDRIBL for 20 Minutes...
load1.jpg

GPU2 : Prime95 + RTHDRIBL for 20 Minutes...
load2.jpg

GPU1 : Prime95 + RTHDRIBL for 20 Minutes (Execution Halted)...
load3.jpg

I can't seem to get the GPU Temps any higher than 46*C...

Last edited:
Sneaky said:
black ice pro... nuh-uh! get atleast a black ice extreme (thicker version of pro - dissipates twice the heat)

and the dual 6800's - they dump ALOT - i mean ungodly amounts of heat into the loop - one BIX will NOT handle the heat load that these will put out

for the cards, i'd suggest mounting a black ice extreme II in the floor of your case, as it is raised off of the floor - and for the dual GPU blocks - get the acetal low-profile version of the Maze4 - its much lighter than having a chunk of brass on your card, plus its designed for the SLI boards, so you don't have the water block resing on top of the card below, and it provides equal performance, as it uses the exact same base as the normal maze4 blocks

then for the CPU & chipset, i'd suggest mounting a second BIX II in the top of your case

and don't even bother with a resivoir... or in your case, two of them - use a t-line - it'll be alot more compact, and use alot less tubing in a setup such as yours

plus a res does nothing but take the velocity of the water from X to zero, creating more work for the pump, decreasing the overall flowrate of the loop in the longrun (res restricts flow)

i'd also suggest using 1/2" barbs/fittings and 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD (1/8" wall) tubing for your setup - and use clearflex60 - its MUCH cheaper than tygon in large volumes (89cents/foot @ jab-tech.com for 10+ feet), and has a bend-radius, and anti-kink properties near that of tygon, and with the larger ID, flowrate through the loop(s) will be much greater

and the pumps - the DDC's are great pumps, and have a great amount of friction head, but lacks in the flowrate - because of this, i'd suggest a Laing D4/MCP650 - they're still very small pumps, they run on 12v DC, and they have 1/2" fittings (less restrictive), they have a slightly lower friction head, but that is compensated for by the flowrate that they provide - just over 300gpm

please read my post below for important PSU information

why would you recommend a black ice xtreme 2 for the CPU/chipset? i thought that a Black ice xtreme would be able to handle the CPU/chipset loop.

AlanD911 said:
im gonna copy your system but use BIX :) thanks for the crazy setup idea

Only use the Black Ice Extreme Radiators if you are going to use high-CFM fans (Over 125 CFM's). The Black Ice Pro Radiators work better with low-flow fans.

AlanD911 said:
why would you recommend a black ice xtreme 2 for the CPU/chipset? i thought that a Black ice xtreme would be able to handle the CPU/chipset loop.

The BIP/BIX will handle the CPU/Chipset just fine...

wowzer that is too hype! thanks for all the great information. Also are you sure that there are no differences in cooling between the pro and xtreme at CFM's lower than 125?

Black Ice Extreme
blice1.gif

Black Ice Pro
blthin.gif

Heat Dissipation
BIP%20BIX%20diss.gif

Thermal Resistance
BIP%20BIX%20C-W.gif

AlanD911 said:
Are you sure that there are no differences in cooling between the pro and xtreme at CFM's lower than 125?

Look at the graphs above. The first two graphs come from Overclockers.com's radiator reviews. The others were done by one of Swiftech's engineers on their equipment. The BIP cools BETTER than the BIX with lower CFM fans, not equally well... :D

The higher the CFM's the greater the difference. The reason is the width of the radiators. A low-CFM fan cannot push air through a wider radiator such as the BIX as easily as a thin onel, BIP, so the airflow is higher in the BIP vs the BIX at low CFMs.

If you plan on using very loud and very powerful fans, get the BIX, otherwise, get the BIP.

Last edited:
wow, that turned out very nicely!
the tubes could be better, but you're doing a closed-case setup (which impresses me more for some reason...), so it shouldnt really matter.

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
wow, that turned out very nicely!
the tubes could be better, but you're doing a closed-case setup (which impresses me more for some reason...), so it shouldnt really matter.

Thanks! :D

Unfortunately, the tubing is as good as i can get it. The reinforced PVC tubing I'm using is very stiff and there is no way I can do any tight bends in the tubing like GPU to GPU... This tubing literally bends my graphics cards if I try to bend it any further (not a kinking issue). But I do like that I don't have any problems with kinks like I was having with the Tygon tubing.

Yeah, I didn't want anything sticking/hanging outside of the case. :cool:

Go to a PET store that is big in out door ponds,,Or look for a pond dealer in your area...There tubing is thick walled like tygon and clear flex..

jchsatx09 said:
did you know pcp&c makes a 850w PSU?

rofl... and its about 4" longer than a normal ATX PSU

and why would it be loud as heck? more caps and the like to provide more power, from what i've seen it uses the same nidec fan that the other PC P&C PSU's use

Back