• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netbook hunting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

X@nder36

I'm looking to buy a netbook as a birthday present for myself/before I go to france/"laptop" for college, and I had a question about the Atom processors.

After some research, most of the netbooks that I'm looking at either have an atom 455 (Single-core @1.66) or 550 (dual-core @1.5), both offer HT. I'm wondering if the 550 is worth the bump in price (>$40, can't order off the egg). Plan on using the machine for mostly web-browsing, movies, email, skyping, word processing/office applications, playing and DL-ing music and some emulators.

I plan on replacing the slow 5400 rpm drive with one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...162&cm_re=kingston_SSD-_-20-139-162-_-Product
And this won't be my main machine when I go to college (1 year, senior in HS), I plan on bringing my sig rig for (hopefully) studing computer science/engineering. Would a single-core netbook be able to last me through (most) of those years?

Also, if anyone has any experience with any brands in particular, that'd be nice to share! thanks all

that bench really shows it, but thats what I figured. Gonna have to scrounge up the extra cash. Thakns rxtrom! Any netbook experience yourself?

that bench really shows it, but thats what I figured. Gonna have to scrounge up the extra cash. Thakns rxtrom! Any netbook experience yourself?

I did have a netbook when they first come out. We used it in the dining room/main living area fro surfing the net and writing emails, recipes in kitchen etc. I have since moved to an ipad though. If I need to type alot I use a bluetooth keyboard.

I have not looked back. For my purposes anyway.

GL

currently typing from my new aspire one with the n550. That coupled with the SSD and a clean install of Ubuntu makes me a happy camper. Thanks for the help!

Back