• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build: 1st Time Watercooling. (In respect, no closed loop candy used before)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GunzRX

Registered
Hi Just need some help. I've gotten tired of higher temps, noise, and dust so I'm going to visit Atlantis. :p

Specs:

2500k @ 4.3ghz and 1.32vocre 68-73 load IBT.
gigabyte p67a-ud4-b3
kingston hyperx 1600 8gb
560 ti evga fpb (soon 7950 w/ waterblock)
wd caviar raid 2x320 , hitachi deskstar 1tb, pat. inferno 100gb sata 3
ultra 850w
raven 3
hyper 212+ w/ 2x blademaster
9 other case fans (3 orig. plus others, irrelevant I guess).

I want to buy this kit, http://www.ebay.com/itm/XSPC-Raysto...37647?pt=US_Water_Cooling&hash=item4167ac944f

and probably add another rad such as this http://www.ebay.com/itm/EKWB-EK-Coo...89643?pt=US_Water_Cooling&hash=item3a7502528b.

I'll be getting an ek full block for the 7950, and I obv. have enough fans for all the rads already biggrin.gif.

I'm not sensitive to noise, seeing as I have most of the 11 fans running full volt when-ever I have my comp but, (call me a ***** if you want tongue.gif) hearing the quiet sound of a pump and nothing else can be peaceful and calming (and hell for all the nubs tongue.gif).

I made this in paint, I don't really know how to draw the hoses in but this is my planned rad setup, (attached).

Not doing the outside rad, will change it but I've just been here and there (4 wisdom teeth pulled monday so yea. kinda :/ atm).

Let's call the 240mm rad code 1, and 280mm code 2.

My hose setup starting with the two tube holes made for the raven 3 would 1->cpu->2->gpu. This would be a gentle curving loop and I think I'm probably just going to have the res and pump outside the computer. I havn't seen the hw yet, so idk but I could just take it to the side of the case. :/ Idk of a way to fit it in the case but just over the 280mm rad would be most likely since there's a lot of room there to the right of the gpu.

Any suggestions, welcomes, ideas etc.?

I'll probably just get pt_nuke or use a few drops of bleach for anti-bacterial and since no alum. no need for anti-corrosive.

Anyway, under the waves we go. :attn:

edit - I added an updated photo with my hose layout orange being the second possible exit route.

edit - tl;dr getting sh*t done new layout uploaded.

Attachments

• Layoutrc.png
    Layoutrc.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Welcome to OCF, GunzRX.

I am a bit confused. It appears you are going to water-cool your 2500k and one gtx560ti? If so, I put them in a PSU calculator (just CPU oc and one GPU) and got 329 Watts. This is a very rough estimate but better than none.

But then I look at the radiators you are planning and can understand the kit with the 120.2 XSPC RX. But it appears you are also getting a 140.2 radiator? Is that correct? Would you link to that please? If you already have a 120.2 kit and a 140.2 radiator for about 329 Watts, then you really don't need the EK XT 120.2 rad.

Perhaps you can clarify all the water-cooling you have or wish to purchase and link to it like you did the kit and EK. Thanks.

Others will be by. Conumdrum has a great collection of links if you wish to upgrade your heat load and cooling knowledge.

Keep asking questions and good luck.:)

Last edited:
Your cooling the ram? No one does that except for bling. No gains.

No pump pictured, but it's a bay mount.

Not bad. You'll need more hose, barbs, fans (good fans matters silly junk case fans are bad for rads, learn)

No mention of the right biocide or liquid.

Not a bad start.

First of all, thanks for replying.

Sorry, if I made it un-clear. I'd be cooling a 7950/7970 oc'd and a 2500k. That would probably add up to 400+w.

I'm thinking of just mounting the pump at the bottom on top of some bubble wrap with tape or inside the bay since the 120 rad isn't too thick.

The kit, and EK would all that I'd be getting along with this block http://www.ebay.com/itm/280849071987?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649.

Some people talk about getting an ek top for the d5 but I saw skinee's post or some guy like that and it gives ~10% more psi and flow which I frankly don't need, Imo.

I'll be using cm blademasters, which seem to be among the top there are according to the tom's hardware cooling fan 2012 round-up along with the 140mm silverstone ap-141 x2 on bottom which are half decent.

You think I'll need more than what the kit comes with Conumdrum? I'll try it out, and see how it goes. Thanks for all the info.

One question I can't find an answer to practically (my friend and I have the same case so been figuring out a lot of stuff) is that they say you want the pump fed with water. That's correct however, I think the d5 can pull adequate water through the rad as shown in order to minimize the tubing. I can directly link to the res, but in your opinion realistically won't I reach my hardware's oc limits before the performance difference starts to become a difference?

Same thing with the thing about thinner rads like pull and thicker push I don't think it matters here.

Thanks, again.

edit - also yea, music fan you're probably right I just estimated that I would take the 7950, and the 2500k around 300 let's say load stock and double it. I have a few hdds, the pump , etc. but I have a 850w psu that's known to pull a kilowatt so I should be fine. and the high pressure fans with the two rads should be fine. I can just keep the fans real low too :D.

Main thing is yea, I can test to see if rad in between res and pump makes a huge difference but I don't think it will. I'm going to take out the tt blue eye and put a blademaster. When I found out the blademaster is really good for wc I went :O I have so many because of all the computers I build, that get the free hyper 212+ free with them.

edit - O yea, conumdrum right liquid as always distilled water 2-4 drops pt nuke. :D

Last edited:
The pump you chose is fine. The 35x is better, thats all, and smaller. Lots.

Your not the standard noob, your choices are good.

PT Nuke is old, Petras PHN and Mayems something or other could be a better choice. If you got's PT Nuke, okay. Most of have moved to a silver kill coil or other stuff, it's less hasle and less reaction for tubing and block issues.

Not too shabby, I think your set. Think about fittings, maybe a few 45 or 90 degree fittings to make running hose better.

PT Nuke is old, Petras PHN and Mayems something or other could be a better choice. If you got's PT Nuke, okay. Most of have moved to a silver kill coil or other stuff, it's less hasle and less reaction for tubing and block issues.

Not too shabby, I think your set. Think about fittings, maybe a few 45 or 90 degree fittings to make running hose better.

Yea, I'm going to just get some silver wire from dazmode.com since they're local.

One thing that confuses me though, is I'm looking to pick up a couple 45 and 90 deg. fittings just in case but, the tubing says it is 7/16" but the fittings on the rads say g 1/4" does this mean the tube will stretch over it, or that I need to add a compression fitting first and then or something. :S

I don't have anything yet btw, so thanks for the heads-up. :)

The nickel plating on the gpu waterblock shouldn't be a problem right as far as corrosion goes?

Last edited:

I use silver lined tubing my self. It's simple to work with.

Yea, I'm going to just get some silver wire from dazmode.com since they're local.

One thing that confuses me though, is I'm looking to pick up a couple 45 and 90 deg. fittings just in case but, the tubing says it is 7/16" but the fittings on the rads say g 1/4" does this mean the tube will stretch over it, or that I need to add a compression fitting first and then or something. :S

I don't have anything yet btw, so thanks for the heads-up. :)

The nickel plating on the gpu waterblock shouldn't be a problem right as far as corrosion goes?

I think I am right in saying this but the G 1/4" is the thread size which the rads use.

" Following ripped from hoki's super beginners guide to w/c "

Fittings

There are lots of fittings out there to choose from for almost any application you could think of. Before getting into that though, let’s talk about what fittings screw into. The industry standard threading is BSPP G1/4″ thread, also denoted “G1/4″ (BSPP stands for British Standard Parallel Pipe). This is referring to the threaded inputs/outputs of your block(s), radiator(s) and reservoir(s). Almost everything uses G1/4 at this point.

hope this helps. :)

The nickel itself should pose no problem with galvanic corrosion. It's the plating process you should watch out for. EK flubbed with its old nickel plating process and it was flaking off and causing all sorts of problems. They claim to have rectified this with the EN nickel plating process but a lot are still wary of their nickel products. I'd say avoid EK nickel products (better safe than sorry) but I'm really paranoid about that.

The nickel itself should pose no problem with galvanic corrosion. It's the plating process you should watch out for. EK flubbed with its old nickel plating process and it was flaking off and causing all sorts of problems. They claim to have rectified this with the EN nickel plating process but a lot are still wary of their nickel products. I'd say avoid EK nickel products (better safe than sorry) but I'm really paranoid about that.

Yea, I'm gonna go with a koolance block anyway it's a bit less efficient (13.4 litres per hour blocked per degree vs 13.1) but it cools 2 degrees lower, and looks better.

Looks is everything :p, and the only nickle I wanna see everywhere is the coin. :attn:

edit - new layout in op. Found out pump goes in res, can probably mount it in bays behind rad, and then have rad fans on push; unless I need to install the mounting bay in which case I'll figure something else out. :shock:

Last edited:
Final thing. So I went with the raystorm kit which has a 120.2 rx rad and I got a magiccool 180mm slim rad.

Koolance 7970 block for a diamond 7970; was gonna throw in some more 120mm rads but I figure even ocd I don't have more than 450watts of heat, and my rads will be enough.

They say 1 180mm rad = a triple 120 so I have atleast 500 watts of heat dissipated if not more. If I'm wrong I'll order up otherwise yea.

Total came in under 350 so that's nice.

Layout doesn't matter, since the res fits the pump in so I can just do w.e I feel like and it'll work.

So yea, final question before build time, I want a delta-t below 10 if possible with the 2 rads I have. Think that'll work?

edit - Meh, **** it. Martins thing says even with a gtx 480 I'd have a delta t of below 5. W.e If I feel like it's a bad temp grab a better top, and a 120mm rad or two. Should I start a new thread for the actual build? Pics and everything. :D

Last edited:
I think so, you got enough rad.

Once you got your parts then start a new post. make the first one an introduction and your parts list and a few pics. Then immediately make 2-3 more posts to your thread and type 'reserved' only.

On your second post, usually when you have another choice 5-10 pics, make a new post by editing your first reserved post, and add all the goodies.

So on and so on. So all your inputs and pics are in a nice sequence. The last reserved one is usually full build pics and temp results and comments. You can make posts for replies etc after your reserved area.

It's time you made a sig of your current rig or a special one for the planned build. If the planned one, we can quickly see what your gonna do and your parts to have quick references as we answer questions and make suggestions.

This is my older build log, you can see what I did. You can also find many more here to help you. I have a few in the stickies also.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678189

Last edited:
Nvm. Had a rx 240 + magiccool 180 (slim 35mm) going to put 2x xspc 2x 120mm in. Don't have room for 2 rads bottom, and I figure 1 180mm is better than a 120.2 plus I already ordered it. I want fans at below 1000 rpm so yea. This will do it, max heat load on blocks is 450-460 watts if I run temperature tests like futurmark or w.e gaming will be lower. Pump won't be more than 20 or 30. Below 5 delta is here.

Only thing is, I didn't wait for the phobya 200mm to come in stock, so I lose (or gain actually) 5 fpi and 20mm of area. W.e probably not more than 1-2 degree dif. if I'm correct. (big dif. for 5 pound but w.e)

Last edited:
Back