• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Initial OC's of 3570k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

olddfibuild

Registered
CPU:
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler:
Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory:
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card:
XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card
Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)

Storage: Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
OPTICAL - LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive 3D Playback & M-DISC Support Model UH12LS29 LightScribe Support
PSU: Modular Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750
Case: Vengeance C70 Mid-Tower Gaming Case — Military Green

OK, so finally starting playing around with the OC limits of this build based on THIS GUIDE-------> Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*

I am fixated on being stable on 4.8GHZ, of course my temps are up @ or past 90C whenever I try and barely make it an hour on prime95 as recommended on the guide.

My question is what is realistic with my setup and H100 cooling, can I be stable for folding & gaming on 4.8 or better with PLL & RAM tweaking?

48GHZ.png

Thanks

How/why did you become fixated with 48x for a daily folding/gaming stable overclock? It kind of looks like 48x may be too hot... What about trying 47x? It might work better for your setup with regards to vcore and temps.

Well, I have tried dialing down the pll voltage to reduce temps, but still prime 95 crash after an hour or two...even tried upping Vcore with those reduced temps and again same result and pushing 90 to 91C.

I am trialling my 4.7 GHZ settings for a long run on prime.

Again, I ask: any chance of hitting 4.8 with other tweaks safely? is it worth the gains?

Cheers :popcorn:

Well, I have tried dialing down the pll voltage to reduce temps, but still prime 95 crash after an hour or two...even tried upping Vcore with those reduced temps and again same result and pushing 90 to 91C.

I am trialling my 4.7 GHZ settings for a long run on prime.

Again, I ask: any chance of hitting 4.8 with other tweaks safely? is it worth the gains?

Cheers :popcorn:

It doesn't look like your chip is going to do 4.8 GHz (long run Prime AVX enabled) the way you would like... The primary adjustment for overclocking SB/IB cpu is vcore... and any particular sample chip will run a set multi at volts/temps low enough with stability or it won't. :shrug:

Besides for at least for regular daily use... an additional ~100/200Mhz isn't going to make any difference.

you could always delid it and put some colad liquid pro on the die, drop your temps by 15-20c, bam 4.8 easy ;)

Unrealistic really unless you are prepared to void the warranty/ dont mind possibly destroying your comp.

But agreed 100mhz wont make much of a difference at all.

12 hour + stable

Well, woke this morning to 12 hour + stable on prime 95 custom settings as per guide listed.

multiplier = 47
Additional Turbo Voltage = +0.105
PLL = Auto (default 1.832)
Vcore = 1.280 max
Max Temp = 79c

Advice please

Shortly after my last post prime95 went unresponsive again; and I realized most of my prime problems were the same....not errors or bsods.

They seem to coincide with automatic settings popping up from my new install. So I have turned off all windows monitoring and closed out all start up programs.

My question is there are still processes running in background, so was this really the cause of the prime crashes or are the settings unstable? Because I had 3+ hours on 4.8 GHZ with a similar event, but temps 90/91c

Cheers

Back