• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New I7 Build <<< Critique please. >>>

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xantom

Putting a new machine together sometime this Fall. Mainly a gaming machine, but want Blu Ray ripping/burning capability. I chose 2 EVGA 295's, considering my monitor is a SAMSUNG 245BW, will I be able to utilize 2 Cards or should I just go with a single GPU. Would the performance difference be that significant? I like the Cosmos S case, but am not a big fan of the Red lighting, I assume that is easily changed by replacing the fans.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Also maybe it's time to move to a SSD???

COOLER MASTER COSMOS S RC-1100-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
SILVERSTONE ST1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC
EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED 3-Way SLI (x8) + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601975
2 x EVGA 017-P3-1294-AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM
2 x 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series 70SB088600007 7.1 Channels PCI Express
SABRENT CRW-FLP2 All-in-one USB 2.0 Floppy Drive and 68in1 Internal Memory Card Reader & Writer
Pioneer Black 8X Blu-Ray DVD Burner w/ Software SATA Model BDR-203BKS
LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray DVD ROM SATA Model DH-4O1S-08
NZXT SEN-001LX Sentry LX Aluminum dual bay fan controller
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - Retail
Saitek Eclipse III Black USB Wired Standard Backlit Multimedia Keyboard
Steelseries Ikari 62001SS Black 6 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Laser Mouse

It looks good. You do not need two 295's for that monitor, just stick with one. Drop the CPU down to a 920 or at most a 940. The benefits of the 975 do not justify the cost, just OC a lower end chip. SSD's are ready for prime time but are still expensive but looking at your set-up cost doesn't appear to be a limitation. Go with the Intel X25-M for a decent $/performance or go all out with the X25-E.

Not bad, Id drop that 975 to a 920 or 940. Just like the poster said above. You really have absoluetley no need to get a 1000$ CPU. It would be a waste to you.

Also im not too fond of the classified motherboard, but its up to you. I just really don't think its that great of a mobo.

Otherwise it looks good, I also don't really think you should get 2x 295's Id get a single one and then wait for the 300's. And then get that when it comes out.

I say drop the eclipse III keyboard and get a das keyboard professional, and in regards to the steelseries, get something from logitech. They're hardier, more comfortable, and more precise, and the software isn't too bad either.

I agree with the cost for performance stuff from ou_phidelt. here's my thoguht though: buy a 920 now, buy the 6 core later... and then you'll still have top notch and you'll have spent the same money as the i7 975 or whatever without ruining your wallet all at once plus you'll get 2 extra cores... and you can sell the 920 to me when you're done with it. :D

Not bad, Id drop that 975 to a 920 or 940. Just like the poster said above. You really have absoluetley no need to get a 1000$ CPU. It would be a waste to you.

Also im not too fond of the classified motherboard, but its up to you. I just really don't think its that great of a mobo.

Otherwise it looks good, I also don't really think you should get 2x 295's Id get a single one and then wait for the 300's. And then get that when it comes out.

Only get the classified if you man up and pay the extra for the one with the lifetime warranty. Keep in mind though, there are better and more efficient boards. The gigabyte's come to mind, as do the asus boards.

The only difference I can see is the Clock speed and the QPI. What stable overclocking performance could I expect, with air, to get out the 920?

One GPU it is, well that drops the price significantly, about 1300. I just haven't had a lot of good experiences with OCing, maybe time to get it down better:)

Possibly could downgrade that Mobo too, any suggestions? I would like to stick with EVGA. I have had great customer service from them in the past. EDIT: "I should include Gigabit here too."

SSD drives?

x25 - E 32GB 383.00
x25 - E 64GB 749.00
X25 - M 160GB 619.00

You could definitely take the money you've saved from switching to a i7 920, 940, or 950 and cutting out the video card and spend it on SSD's instead. The choice in size is up to you, but the Intel one's you listed are considered top notch.
EVGA boards are fine from what I see.
Not sure about the PS, I know you listed a much higher watt one originally, and ya can't ever have too much power...Ho ho ha (Tool Time laugh, remember that show? lol)

You could definitely take the money you've saved from switching to a i7 920, 940, or 950 and cutting out the video card and spend it on SSD's instead. The choice in size is up to you, but the Intel one's you listed are considered top notch.

Why 749 for the M with 160 GB, but 619 for the X25 with 32 GB?

x25 - E 32GB 383.00
x25 - E 64GB 749.00
X25 - M 160GB 619.00

Ho ho ha (Tool Time laugh, remember that show? lol)

Yes I do...

I would go with the Gigabyte motherboard.

For the PSU: since you are only going with one 295 that cuts the power requirements significantly. My choice would be the Corsair 850HX.

Back to the SSD's for a minute. Personally I would either the Intel X2-M 80GB or two 60GB Vertex's. They are very close in $/GB, just pick how much room you need on your boot drive and how much you want to put into them.

Don't worry about OCing a 920. Granted there are no guaruntees at this game but I have never seen or heard of a 920 that could not OC past the 975's clock speed with ease. For an extra measure of security, hit up tank guys for a D0 and you will be set for 4Ghz.

Back