• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Koolance Watercooled Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darkrelic

Registered
New Koolance 800D Water Cooled Rig

Here is my (Updated) Spec:

Case - Corsair Obsidian 800D Tower Case
PSU - SilverStone ST1500 Power Supply, 1500w, Black
Motherboard - ASUS RAMPAGE-III-EXTREME Motherboard, LGA1366, X58, 6xDDR3-1066, 4xPCI-Ex16 v2.0, 2xSATA-III, 6xSATA-II, RAID, GigLAN, 8Chl-HD, USB3.0, ATX
Motherboard WB - Koolance MB-ASR3E (ASUS Rampage III Extreme)
CPU - Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition
CPU WB - Koolance CPU-360
RAM - Corsair 6GB (3 x 2GB) DOMINATOR GT - PC3 16000 (2000Mhz) DDR3 RAM - 240-pin DIMM - CL 8-9-8-24
Graphics Card - 2 x XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition, 2GB 256-bit GDDR5, 725MHz GPU, 1000MHz Memory, PCI-E 2.0 x16, DX11, Dual DVI, HDCP, Mini DisplayPort, CrossFireX Ready + Koolance Dual VID Connector, Adjustable 1 Slot Spacing
SSD - 2 x Corsair Force Series 120GB 2.5" SATA II MLC Solid State Drive - 285MB/s Read & 275MB/s Write
Tubing - Koolance, Blue UV Reactive PVC, ID: 13mm OD: 16mm + Tubing Spring Wraps - Koolance, Tubing Spring Wrap, Blue, 13mm
Fittings & Connectors - Splitter (Koolance Tubing Splitter/Manifold, 5-way Swiveling), Nozzles (Koolance Nozzle Single, 1/2" (13mm) G1/4 Threaded & Koolance Nozzle Single, G1/4 Swivel Angled [13mm, 1/2"] - Single Fitting), Quick Disconnects (Koolance QDC (High Flow) No-Spill Shutoff, Male Angle/Female, ID: 13mm) & Koolance Pressure Valve
Temp Sensors - 2 x Koolance Coolant Temperature Sensor Plugs
Fans - Cooler Master R4-L2S-12KB-G Silent120mm Case Fan w/ ON/OFF Switch w/ BLUE LED
Drive - Pioneer BDR-205BKRP Blu-Ray Writer - SATA, 12xBD-R, 2xBD-RE, 16xDVD±R, 6xDVD±RW, 8xDVD±R DL

Misc:
Koolance Liquid Coolant Bottle, 700mL Clear
Arctic Cooling MX-3 Ultra Premium Thermal Compound with High Thermal Conductivity for the GPU's
Indigo Xtreme for the CPU
Lighting - Logisys True-Color CCFL Light Bar - 12" - Blue
Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive (Epoxy) for affixing the Temp Sensors

External Unit:
Lian Li Modified Case: PC-343B Modular Black Aluminum Cube Case
Magicool Nova 1080 (9 x 120mm Fans)
Waterjet cut radgrill and 9 x Cooler Master Silent 120mm Blue LED fans
2 x Koolance PMP-450S in parallel
Koolance - TMS-200 Software Thermal Interface Controller
Koolance - TMS-EB200 Expansion Board
Koolance - RP-450X2 Dual 5.25" Reservoir

picture.php

Last edited:
If you are going with the blue tubing, ditch the blue liquid and just use distilled water with ph nuke.

And for your processor (seeing how you dont seem to mind spending extra cash) use Indigo Xtreme for your TIM

Thank you...and I will certainly consider the Indigo Xtreme.

A little overkill but the Fluorescent Blue Coolant is for the External Cooling Unit - Koolance ERM-2K3UCU (3U) which has a clear window at the front and lighting.

Last edited:
It will be a worklog...photo of work completed so far.

Attachments

• Picture in Comp2.jpg
    Picture in Comp2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 3,837
Last edited:
click your username up in the top right and upload an album. You can also upload somewhere like photobucket or imageshack and then do direct links to the images with
Code:
[img]URL HERE[/img]

Not sure that extrnal cooling thing is gonna cool your setup. The 2000 watts of cooling is a typical absolute Koolance marketing scheme. ie LIE. And $900? Gotta be a misprint, should be about $259 max.

You haven't seen the setup they made for a radiator for their cooling numbers a few years ago have you? It was an industrial squirel cage at over 750 CFM for them to even get reasonable temps. Then they stated 1000 watts with water temps at 25C over ambient. Your CPU loop should NOT be over 10C DT or you won't be very happy.

Also, thats a lot of WC parts to put through one pump. Your flow rates are not going to be very good, it could impact your temps even more with the thinner tubing.

Your DT temps will be so high your CPU and GPUs will barely be able to do much but idle.

Look at this top Koolance rad on their site. It's TWICE as big as your fancy box. Click on the 'Other Data'. It shows 25C DT, which is way past any sensable use of watercooling. Click on the #2 and they are still talking 15C DT. Not bad for a GPU loop.
http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=817

Please reconsider that overpriced lie.

You have about 825 watts to cool under load. Try to keep the DT under 10C for your CPU/Mobo block. You really should consider a 120x3 for just the CPU/Mobo with it's own pump and res. And a 120x3 for the GPUs. If you plan to overclock the GPUs heavily, then a 120x4 with it's own pump and res for JUST the GPUs.

Last edited:
Koolance ERM-2K3UCU Rev1.1 (Copper)

Rev1.1 has a larger chassis with a different internal arrangement than the original ERM-2K3U and a new copper core radiator, PSU, and 24V pump circuit.

I cant find any temp reviews on this...and have searched everywhere...But what i have seen is a couple of YouTube videos running this system...and each of them where functioning very well under load.

2000W rating is at 35C delta...At least thats what their telling us...

If anyone has some hard data on this...Very much like to see it.

Last edited:
Not sure about hard numbers but looking at the internal pic provided by Koolance, it doesn't look like has even close to the number of fans that per mm^2 that you would get on radiators by themselves. they rad block is 5 fans wide and about 3-4 fans deep, but the rad is at an angle and the fans only cover the base leg of the unit. That thing would need close to 15 120mm fans to work correctly IMO.

DarkRelic,
Trust what conum said, if he's saying the 2000watt ratio is fake then its true!
Conum = God for watercooling.
Ditch the blue liquid, srsly just buy blue led and install it in the res... U really dont want to clean a gunk loop, its pain.

It's not a lie, it's a fact. But the numbers they hide is just stoopid hogwash and gereally laughed at in the WC world. No one in their right mind would even consider running a WC loop with a 35C DT.

Right now my room is 27C. Load up that loop with even 1/2 half, just 1000 watts for a 17C DT, your water temp is 44C. LOL, that CPU would have to be underclocked to even survive.

I use Koolance GPU blocks. I'm happy. They make good blocks, some fittings, okay......not great radiators. But their all in one cooing setups are an absolute overpriced marketing joke.

You should see all the really screwed up stuff they used to sell. Aluminum radiators, they even sold GPU blocks with steel plugs. RUST! And they said oops, we didn't mean to. Meaning their design team and the manufacturing team (sure it's in China) cut corners. The WC pros sat back and said I told you so, they did it again. Koolance is doing better, but they have a VERY VERY poor history.

"It can provide up to approximately 2000W of potential heat dissipation." Potential heat dissipation, not actual.

At 45cm x 13.03cm x 52.1cm and with the pump and res on the one end, the rad size should be close to 400mm X 400mm...which is more than enough radiator to get rid of 2000W depending on the fpi and fans used...but 120mm X 5 fans is not nearly enough to get that 2000W.

To get that 2000W you would need to mod the enclosure to get fans drawing air through the entire surface of the radiator, or even push/pull. Seeing how the thing already costs 9 bones, you might as well just buy your own system and make it fit in the 800D...the thing has tons of space.

Been reading this site for a long time never really bothered to post anything but created an account to post the build I am currently working on. Which is relevant to your build since my upgrade path will put me into your rather extreme heat arena. It might be frustrating to put aside a case you just bought, but your at the point where your going to have to either spend some serious time / money with a dremel and a drill to make your case work. I have not worked with your case before but it -may- be able to meet the rad requirements. Other wise I would just pickup a new one that you know can fit everything.

I came up with this for me.

2010-07-07161238.jpg

2010-07-07154750.jpg

I'm not going to be finishing this till sometime next week when a set of 3.5x30 screws show up... but this is what I have ATM. Its a tripple loop arrangement.

The single 120 rad sitting on the bottom of the case is going to be mounted to the mother board tray fan, and handle the mobo blocks.

With your gpus to get good temps with an OC the top 480 will be required.

And finally the 360 for the cpu.

Something to think about.

Ah the minor details I always seem to leave out... what case lol.

its a mountain mods pinnacle 24. Fans are noctua nf-p12 with shrounds
shrouds = old gutted 120s 25mm.

Now I know they don't get much love on this forum but I use noctua fans because they run forever for me. I also have used them in builds where I was running on the edge of rad requirements and they kept my DTs in good range. Before this build I always used mid tower cases, but I got sick of buying and spending hours modding those over and over. The MM case cut down on that a whole lot; I only had to drill about 40 holes for this build. I did have to ream out some of the holes on the MM case because they didn't quite line up with the rad. IDK whos fault that is but I lean toward MM, as the case panel holes don't line up that great with the frame either.

I plan on keeping this case and just moving pc parts from now forward.

::eyes case jealously::

I was thinking it looked custom. My favorite thing about the MM cases is that you can get the radbox for the bottom...dual 120.4's underneath is just...wow.

Guyz, Certainly appreciate the feedback.

Fitted the Koolance Waterblocks onto the GPU's last night...Thankfully they fit.

Hence can confirm (Seems like this will be first post on the internet as confirmation - As the Koolance Forums/Koolance Tech people/or anywhere else for that matter couldnt confirm it) that the XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition, 2GB 256-bit GDDR5, 725MHz GPU, 1000MHz Memory, PCI-E 2.0 x16, DX11, Dual DVI, HDCP, Mini DisplayPort, CrossFireX Ready, are fully compatible with the 5970 Koolance waterblocks.

Will post a picture shortly.

As for the case modding...Actually the blocks and case are adequate for my current needs (if i still choose an external setup). As you can see from the first picture i posted i have a three way splitter that utilises the current gromet holes at the top for an external unit...

And of course given all the excellent feedback i am reconsidering which external unit i use.

Last edited:
Oh...And for discussion purposes only...ERM-2K3UCU has a large louver-fin heat exchanger which stretches diagonally from front to back, cooled by two 220mm side fans and five 80mm rear fans.

Product Dimensions WxHxD: (45cm x 13.03cm x 52.1cm) with the radiator being a good proportion of that...I reviewed the positioning given mrgettmann's comment earlier ("and the fans only cover the base leg of the unit.") and that seems to be in fact due to the reservoir and pump positioning, although the angle of the radiator design has that push/pull scenario with the two 220mm side fans positioned directly over the lower edge of the radiator with the 5 fans assisting air flow dynamics across the back.

Which seemed like enough at first pass...

Of course there would still be the pump issues and respective flow rates as outlined above by Conumdrum...Although the 24v pump seemed to handle a reasonable flow rate on the only two YouTube video's i could find.

So if i want an external set-up...what would you suggest??? (OR should i just revert to using a radiator fitted to the top of the 800D Case???)

Last edited:
Fitted the Koolance Waterblocks onto the GPU's last night...Thankfully they fit.

Did you get 2 different types of thermal pad with that block? My Koolance GTX480 block did, but it didn't say which type went where. Trial and error revealed that it was very important to get that right!

Back