• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Koolance Watercooled Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes two different types (larger Grey Thermal sheet & a smaller White Sheet)... In the later versions they included a WB instruction sheet and indicate where each thermal application needs to go and of course in each case they indicate the use of the Grey Thermal sheet.

Evolve...use the Grey Thermal...always the grey.

Last edited:
My 2 pack Indigo Xtreme arrived today...thank you mrgettmann for the advice.

Yes two different types (larger Grey Thermal sheet & a smaller White Sheet)...the Koolance people have english problems we know that...but gawd they make it hard. In the later versions they included a WB instruction sheet and indicate where each thermal application needs to go and of course in each case they indicate the use of the Grey Thermal sheet.

Evolve...use the Grey Thermal...always the grey.

Yes, mine came with a diagram that said use the grey pad. The written instructions said use whichever one gives the best contact. My first mount got me good temps on the GPU, but there are 3 other temp sensors on the GTX480, which were all reporting into the 90's. (They reported only into the 50's on air.)

I tried using all pink, but that prevented proper contact with the GPU itself.

Currently, I'm using a mix of grey and pink that gets me good contact all over. The GPU maxes out at 60C under load and the rest of the card's onboard sensors report below 50C - a 40C difference that gives the lie to the "all grey" instructions.

The difficulty is that the block itself has raised parts of its surface that are supposed to contact with chips of varying heights, but they are not really raised the right amount. they end up varying distances from the chips.

I have two cards from different manufacturers (MSI and Gainward) and they are 100% identical, down to the last detail. Clearly these two manufacturers are going with the reference design, so this is unlikely to be caused by a discrepancy between with the reference card the Koolance used.

Evolve...Sorry to hear that. And of course you may well be right about the all Grey (they suggest vs a combination you found) as I havent yet had the chance to check temps with the WB's as yet.

I did though do a pressure test (put it all together, left it o/night then removed and checked all surfaces were indented where they should have been).

I will revert back when i have them up and running with temps.

The Official response i received from Koolance Tech on the ERM-2K3UCU:

"The performance will not be very different between an ERM-2K3U original vs. Rev1.1 unless you have heavy flow restriction. The pump usually doesn't contribute much to temperature compared to heat exchanger size and airflow. There will also not be much difference between the aluminum and copper rad versions of Rev1.1. We offer the copper version for customers that need to avoid aluminum.

The wattage ratings are intended to reflect the absolute maximum capability of the system. For computer use, you would not want to run at that level continuously because the heat sources will run high. It was designed to provide some point of reference for what you "could" do with fans and pump at maximum levels. We describe our rating in some more detail here (http://www.koolance.com/technical/howtobuild/index_01.html#choosingsystem). As you can see, we recommend a cooling system rated for at least 700W with a higher-end CPU and single video card, even though the actual heat output of those two components is much lower. This takes into some account that most computer users wouldn't want to use a 700W rated cooling system with an estimated TDP higher than 330~380W, for example.

When we started using a wattage rating, to my knowledge, no one else was offering a way to quickly compare PC cooling systems by the same manufacturer. It is not an ideal or precise method because of the number of factors involved, more so now when so many loops are mixed brands and we are all cooling much hotter components across a wider variety of hardware. We have also not been consistent with wattage ratings over the course of 10 years, with some engineers supporting 25-35°C deltas (which are acceptable for many of our industrial customers), and others favoring 10-20°C deltas (better suited to PC cooling). As our company progresses toward more modularized and customizable solutions, and the cooling market better understands which radiators and pumps are needed for particular jobs, I think the wattage rating is outmoded. There are plans to abandon it.

With the production of any new system, there is some internal discussion on the intended customer. Starting with the ERM-3K4U5, the ERM series was intended for industrial and server customers. The price was not feasible for most computer enthusiasts. When the ERM-2K3U came about, the lower price point meant it might appeal to more computer users, but the design focus was still on other areas ("special thermal applications"). In my opinion, it ended up trying to do too many things with regard to performance/fan noise/aesthetics/profile/cost. This is likely how the system resulted in having the equivalent of three 3x120mm fan heat exchangers, but with lower performance than three dedicated 3x120mm rads. If you were to remove the existing fans and place six high speed 120mm fans directly against the rad, it would probably cruise."

... As our company progresses toward more modularized and customizable solutions, and the cooling market better understands which radiators and pumps are needed for particular jobs, I think the wattage rating is outmoded. There are plans to abandon it ...

Abandoning wattage ratings entirely seems a little like throwing the baby out with the bath water. If companies were to just specify the dT and airflow that they used to acheive their listed wattage rating, that would make it much more useful.

Even more useful would be a watts/dT for a given airflow. I believe that the watts/dT is a linear relationship, for a fixed airflow, so that would give us a fairly clear idea of what sort of heat dissipation we could expect, at the temps we want to run our loops at.

they'd also have to give a wattage dissipated curve for different fan speeds.

First Koolance GPU WB installed...

First Koolance GPU WB installed. I am actually going to switch the CPU WB around so that the outlet is at the top (assist with air issues).

I have 3 x Temp sensors that came with the Mobo. CPU obviously, any suggestions for the other two and if so where to affix them. My intention was to use a small amount of Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive (Epoxy) rather than the Metal Sensor Tape.

picture.php

Last edited:
Get a pair of these and put one in your GPU block and another in your res(assuming it has extra plug spots) to measure your liquid temp.

Awesome. Had missed them previously. Thank you for the suggestion. Ordered them today.

Get a pair of these and put one in your GPU block and another in your res(assuming it has extra plug spots) to measure your liquid temp.

Beware of the odd plug on that Koolance temp probe. All the temp sensors that I have seen use a different plug to that, so you will need to change the connector to be compatible with non-Koolance sensor hubs.

I use a t-balancer bigNG, (plus sensor hub,) with sensors from aqua-computer and also the ones that came with the t-balancer. Both have connectors that look like this.

No issues Evolve...and thanks for the advice. The Rampage III Mobo package comes with three of its own sensors. :)

And the Koolance set-up i have is likely to go back to a Koolance pick-up source of some description...yet to decide given the ERM issues discussed earlier in this post.

Last edited:
Load temps using prime 95 and Uningine heaven benchmark at the same time using HW monitor as a temp measurement device? Post screenshots? Gaming load? What game? What resolution?

Your talking apples and a thermos for comparison.

I'm not sure what 5 and 7 degrees means. DT? Ambients vs water temp?

Your measuring stuff with stuff we don't know or use as standards, at least on many forums.

And no mention of ambient temps.

Load temps using prime 95 and Uningine heaven benchmark at the same time using HW monitor as a temp measurement device? Run it for 30 minutes. WOW isn't any bit of a load on a PC.

Ambients, DT temps are all nice and such, I really don't trust probes unless they are higher quality than what we generally use.

Start Prime 95, get it going, then run Heaven in a loop. HW Monitor will show temps, Prime 95 has windows that show time.

Back