• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Member - my rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kruzn4evr

Registered
Hey all,

I came across this site while doing searching and after looking & reading several threads I decided to sign up. Looking forward to doing alot of reading and hopefully contributing to what looks to be a great site. Anyhow, here is the info and some pics of my rig - the Black Widow.

• EVGA 4-Way SLI Classified X58 Motherboard
  • 4 EVGA GTX 480 Graphics cards in SLI
  • Intel i7 980 Extreme 6 Core Processor
  • Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 2000 3x2GB 8-8-8-24 Ram
  • Silverstone Strider ST1500 Power Supply
  • OCZ Vertex 2 120GB Sandforce Solid State Drive
  • Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Hard Disk Drive
  • LG BH10LS30 Bluray 10x BD-R 16x DVD-RW w/Lightscribe
  • Sunbeam Rheobus-Extreme 6-Channel Fan Controller
  • CoolerMaster HAF X EATX Tower Case w/Black Interior
  • 4 EK-FC Nickel Plated GTX 480 Waterblocks w/Backplates
  • EK-FC 4-Way Classified Motherboard Waterblock
  • EK Supreme HF Acetal LGA 1366 CPU Waterblock
  • EK D5 Dual Top 2 Loops Acetal 5.25" Bay Mount
  • 2 Swiftech MCP655-B 12v DC Pumps
  • Swiftech MCR220 Stackable Radiator
  • Feser X-Changer Quad 480 Extreme Performance Radiator
  • Koolance Radiator Mounting Bracket with Quick-Release
  • 4 Koolance QDC (Extreme Flow) No-Spill, Male & Female
  • 2 Bitspower 5.25 Bay Black Acetal Reservoirs
  • Bitspower Matte Black 1/2"ID/3/4"OD barbs/Comp./45 & 90 degree fittings
  • Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT Black 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2410446
http://www.evga.com/modsrigs/TopRating.aspx

Attachments

• IMG_0976b.JPG
    IMG_0976b.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 1,574
  • IMG_0977b.JPG
    IMG_0977b.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 1,254
  • IMG_0981b.JPG
    IMG_0981b.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,107
  • IMG_0983b.JPG
    IMG_0983b.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,067
  • IMG_0979b.JPG
    IMG_0979b.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_0980d.JPG
    IMG_0980d.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 1,482
Thanks, well, CPU @ 4.2+ idle 30-32c / 44-47c load and all GPU's stock 30-32c / 40-42c load, OC'd to 870/1740/2000 38c idle / 48-50c load. In all fairness though, the ambient temp in the basement is a chilly 67-70f max...gotta love central A/C! :thup:

JUST A NOTE!!!!

the way you have your graphic cards set up the top one will get more flow than the bottom 3 (flow rate will drop the lower you go down. if you move one of the tubes so that it is hooked up to the bottom card and leave the other one hooked up to the top top this will solve this problem.

this is called a reverse return system and it is how we set a bank of several boilers up in the mechanical engineering field sot that the flow rate through each one is the same. when set up in a reverse return the lengths of each path for the water to flow is the same and thus the static pressure drop is the same meaning each card will get the same flow-rate as the others. you got very close to having it right!

Other than that a very nice setup indeed. i like the cable management!

Actually, it is close to right as I could get it, the main reason both are hooked to the top is there isn't enough room between the last card and PSU for a fitting. I was a little more concerned with the flow rate for 4 cards, whether there would be enough flow with the 655 pump and going through the quad rad, flow rate is fine though and the temps are equal across all 4 cards so I'm good with it.

Thanks, well, CPU @ 4.2+ idle 30-32c / 44-47c load and all GPU's stock 30-32c / 40-42c load, OC'd to 870/1740/2000 38c idle / 48-50c load. In all fairness though, the ambient temp in the basement is a chilly 67-70f max...gotta love central A/C! :thup:
That is spectacular temps... though what is load for you? gaming? What about torture tests like Furkmark (for the GPU's) and P95? Im shocked they are holding so well to be honest!!!

That is spectacular temps... though what is load for you? gaming? What about torture tests like Furkmark (for the GPU's) and P95? Im shocked they are holding so well to be honest!!!

Ummm...ok, so I lied a little..lol...I was on my laptop when I posted the temps, those CPU temps are at 3.8GHz, this is what things look like at 4.2GHz

Attachments

• 4.2GHz Prime95 2b.jpg
    4.2GHz Prime95 2b.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 837
Very nice! I like the rad mounting bracket! All you need to do is RAID more SSD's together and you'll have a supercomputer!

I've had SSD's in RAID for some bench testing in the past and frankly IMHO it's a waste of money, at least for what I use a system for. That said, I'm not saying I won't do it somewhere down the road just for chits & giggles :D

So in the 70s... not bad! I wonder what the load would be with both, for like gaming and such.

What Im getting at is I think you are severely under radded for your setup... Have you played games for an hour or so or stress tested both Furmark and P95 (all 6 threads) at the same time for an hour (to get the loop saturated)?

Severely under radded??...lol...IMHO most people are severely OVER radded!...not that you can ever have tooooo much cooling...lol.

I can game for hours and GPU's never get higher than 52-53c on games like Metro 2033, Dirt2, Crisis, Flight Sim X, Bioshock2 (to name a few that I play) and I usually play them in 3D on highest settings. CPU temps never reach higher than 47-48c during games and yes, I've run P95 for 22hrs and temps never reached 60c. Keep in mind my basement is pretty much a constant 68-70f with A/C which really helps.

Color me imressed then. With the setup in my signature, I see 67C temps with HT enabled on my CPU and 46C GPU. YOu have 4 GPU's and a HEX core with a little more raddage and your temps are better all around?????????

What did I do wrong? :)

Granted my ambients are in the 24-26C range but still...

Thats pretty sweet! Looks like the bracket holding your second rad is struggling, lol. I'm way jealous! :D

I don't think you did anything wrong, those ambient temps of 24-26c can make a significant difference, also, your running a single loop right? With running the CPU & GPU (the 2 hottest chips in a system) even with the 120.2 & MCR320 they can only disapate so much heat. Are you running the rads in push/pull? what kind of fans are you using? My 2 loops are pretty short and not too many angle fittings which helps with flow rate. The other things is, the 980x's do not run as hot as say a 920-930 (not sure about the 860's, I've built a couple of those so far). A couple of things that might help your set up (IMHO) would be to upgrade the Fusion and the MCR320 to something like Feser 360 or PA120.3 and either the HK 3.0 or EK Supreme HF CPU block, I'd bet you could knock a few degrees off right there.

Thats pretty sweet! Looks like the bracket holding your second rad is struggling, lol. I'm way jealous! :D

Lol...nahh...it's solid as a rock, the rad is just tilted abit because the tubing has a little slack in it causing it push on the rad, I'll probably refit the tubing on the first coolant change.

I'm curious what the load temps are with Furmark. I can't envisage close to 1200W of heat being dissipated with a quad rad and being under 50º.

Yeah, my block needs an upgrade, no doubt. But in the loop, between the two rads, it can easily whisk away that heat. I have Yate Loon Highs set to 1k RPM (for quiet) pushing through the rads.

Ive never seen a dual rad mCR220 whisk away that much heat, noe that monster radiator take out ~1kw of heat either.

Awesome!

I'm curious what the load temps are with Furmark. I can't envisage close to 1200W of heat being dissipated with a quad rad and being under 50º.

I never said they were under 50c running Furmark, they hit around 63-65c when OC'd to 1740/2000 and 57-59c stock with Furmark, however I haven't found a game yet that takes them over 50-53c when OC'd and right around the 50 mark stock.

Back