• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Water block Didn't come with barbs will this be ok ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

||Console||

I figure I would need at least Teflon tape, an O ring will not work as there are to many threads to get even close .
Do you guys think this will work or should I go find something else ?

I was pretty excited I bought some goodies over xmas and the second package arrived today . The first package was a Heat Killer Pro ( it didn't come with barbs I could't find if they had them or not .. Well its not ) Now today my second package came with out the AS5 and AS glue . Im having some bad luck
( Called company they are going air ship the missing parts of the order )
rsz_1img_20160113_170846493.jpg

Not to mention it's the wrong thread. The block is G1/4 and your barbs are NPT.

WC fittings are now G1/4 BSPP threads. Meaning parallel threads that use a gasket to seal. What you have is NPT (National Pipe Thread). They use a 'slanted' fitting to seal, usually with pipe dope or plumbers tape.

Wiki the thread types, pretty interesting actually.

Your best bet is to just take a look and hope you didn't ruin the threads to the block.

Do as others have suggested. Teflon/plumbers tape is not meant to create water tightness, it reduces friction so you can screw the joints together tighter which then prevents leaks. So even if those barbs were the right thread it still probably wouldn't work.

Back